Auzentech X-Meridian Specs

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ROBSCIX, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

What about the OPAMPS , do i have to buy 4 of them? Are they all exact the same or do i have to buy different types ?

2. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 New Member

My understanding is that all the cards based on the 8788 chip are the same, except for the X-Meridian, which is a custom designed card.

3. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

well so far so good, i'm reallly liken this even though all i have today is some crappy 20 dollar logiteck headphone mic set. these SENNHEISER cans are on the way here tommoroww along with an FX-55, prolly not the best phones but definatly better than what i got, man do need some speakers though, yaya, speakers and a small to mid sized HDTV and im set for the winter.:w00t:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Well if your talking about the XM7.1 (X-Meridian) then yeah it is pretty awsome....sound freakin' amazing...Did you ever consider speakers?

5. [hobo]eclipse

o ya, i definatly want something with DTS, i had the z680's on DDL soundstorm and cooked the sub(newegg completly refunded my money 13 months after purchase) and like the newer version the z 5500 DD DTS 5.1

i would like an actual ht setup but i'll have to spend as much as the logitechs on a reciever alone, and the z680's were nice.

any recomendations from here for a DD DTS setup of any kind.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Well if your planning on using a HT setup as your audio subsystem I don't think there is to many cards that can compare to the XM7.1's digital and analog capabilities and connection options. It is built with this HTPC idea in mind. Digital connections in both Optical and Coax flavors in all standard transmission formats up to 24/192 Khz in full surround up to 7.1- Boasting Prologic IIX, Dolby Digital Live, DTS connect, DTS:Neo:pC and Dolby Headphone technology. This card has alot of strong points and with all these features, it basically is a high end HT receiver in a PCI card. There are imatations using the 8788 chipset but there is only one X-Meridian. Once you own one, you will understand. This card contains everything you would ever want in a HT Receiver minus the 100's of watts of output power. So I guess you could consider it a high quality digital surround sound preamp. Plus you have a GUI interface for setting up this preamp's audio output options.
    Everybody who has bought a XM7.1 loves them....including me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  7. [hobo]eclipse

o ya me too, specially with these much better head phones. Now i know CD audio is 44.1k and DTS is 48k(?) but where can i get and what are benefit of anything above that?

please turn me on to what the 24/192 Khz is, is it the amount of times it samples from the audio?

Tomorrow im trying it in the family room on a decent sony DTS DD HT, the room is large, about 20 by 20 ft and the speakers are positioned in the corners so i should get the nice effect, its a very decent movie veiwing room.

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ok the bit rate (16/24etc) represents the dynamic range (difference between the loudest and softest sounds) as well as the smallest increment between levels of loudness

16bit is acceptable, but not completely accurate, it's dynamic range (96dB) is less than our own ears' (around ~120dB between the threshold of pain and total silence). Also the steppings between volume levels are greater than what our ear can perceive, so a fade-out is not completely smooth

24bit is more accurate, as it has a dynamic range (144dB) that completely encompasses our own (which is around 120dB). In addition the steppings between volume levels are smaller than our ears can perceive, so a fade-out would appear to us to be completely smooth

the samplerate (44.1,48,96 etc) represents how many samples per second are taken of the audio. With the nyquist theorem, this also refers to the highest frequency that can be recorded and re-produced.

I won't go into the science of the Nyquist theorem, but with a 44.1khz samplerate, the highest possible frequency is 22,050hz (half the sample rate)

Although this is above the human maximum (20khz) there is also distortion around the upper frequencies, so higher samplerates are used to minimize this.

Also the higher the sample rate, the more accurate the reproduction of the sound wave actually is.

9. [hobo]eclipse

just a lil confused as to when to use the settings, only when the music is encoded in or recorded at that? or will all audio work with these different settings and its all a matter of taste?

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

The card contains a realtime encoder. So you can add any of these technologies to any audio signal. Put on some music and try out the different settings until you find something you like. Right now, for instance headphone listening I use Dolby Headphones and the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. use the little plus beside the speaker to add some volume and it make everything sound better over headphones...see who that sound to you with MP3..

11. psychok9

psychok9 New Member

Hi guys, yesterday i've tested Windows Vista... and i found the know problem: only 2.0 audio on music application...
    Now i found an old plugin "Aureal 3D" for winamp for use 5.1 also with Vista... but i think and hope is only a temporary solution.... You know others plugin for Winamp and the future, the OpenAL? Somebody know if we can enter on betatester program of Auzentech for test driver for Vista?
    Thank you!

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Not sure, as far as I know they have a beta driver now that support both Dolby Digital Live and DTS connect, OpenAL is in development. Did you use the Vista driver off the install CD?

13. psychok9

psychok9 New Member

I use the last beta driver "AUZEN_XMN71_5_12_1_8_17_8" of Auzentech site.
    I've configured for 5.1 setup, but the sound is only stereo.

14. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

that is normal, as music is generally only 2.0
    your method of upmixing using a plugin is the only way to do it, unless the driver itself has an upmixing algorythm (completely different to what dolby digital/dts is)

15. psychok9

psychok9 New Member

No, Isn't true. This audio card have hardware accelleration for upmix all stereo signal to 5.1 DTS...
    The problem born with Vista because microsoft have cut Directsound hardware and have only an damn bad mixer software... :annoyed:
    With Windows XP the X-Meridian work perfectly... I suspect is a "cheat" for increase the load on cpu... and check on future that we can play only DRM music files (file with license DRM).

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

They are currently working on a Beta driver. A couple guysd said they had surround working with the driver on the disk. As far as I know the "REAL" Vista driver hasn't been released yet. This is the one that supports DD and DTS and OpenAL is in the works. They won't release it until it's perfect. I don't use Vista yet...

17. psychok9

psychok9 New Member

Thank you! Now i try the CD drivers!

18. psychok9

psychok9 New Member

The CD driver works like the last beta driver.
    Today I found some new Vista beta drivers on C-Media forum...
    Nothing different, nothing improvement, but with last ones.
    Talking about UT2004, I stay with stereo sound.
    As regards Winamp, I can use both 5.1 speakers and DTS thanks to Kernel Streaming Output plugin (v3.6).
    I'm very sad for this bad move by Microsoft. DRM restrictions are near.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

I hope AUzen develops OpenAL drivers for all the gamers using the X-Meridian 7.1. I couldn't care less myself the card sound amazing just as it is with or without added game effects. I like the idea of having the option but it is not a deal breaker not to have it. I wouldn't worry too much about DRM, what someone makes, someone breaks. It happens all the time.

20. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I am thinking about picking up this soundcard, but I am alittle wary. Reason being I got burned recently. I bought a Creative X-Fi and I am getting the rice krispies SNP and screeching to random freezing. I am using my onboard right now and the PC works for a change.

My concerns are 2 fold. #1 I play alot of games. #2 I produce alot of music.

I just want the best card for the money. I have always used Creative and I have always had problems with them. But I also hear they are the best company, so if they are the best, I don't want to get something worse and be stuck with another paper weight.