Back up Patterns/Settings/Profiles

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Arvidor, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Arvidor

Arvidor DriverHeaven LOVA!!!

Back up Monitor Profiles

Hey,

is there any way i can backup the Solution/Monitor Profiles I saved under my driver settings (extended settings->Monitors)?

Thx
    Arvidor

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  2. Arvidor

Still nobody who can help me out here???

I want to backup the different monitor settings which, once saved, I can select with right click on the Omega logo in the task bar...

THX for any help and also for a "NO, not possible"
    Arvidor

3. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

Hi Arvidor, Sorry I missed this thread, What kind of settings are you wanting so save?
    It might be possible but never tried i think. Please let me know ok?

4. Arvidor

Good morning,
    you know how you can save the different monitor settings under extended settings, omega settings and then something like solution, view (in german it's ANZEIGE, but I don't know what it is in the english version). There you can save a certain solution under a pattern name.
    When you now right click on the omega symbol in the task bar under solution (second from above) you can quickly switch between the patterns you saved before.
    I want to backup these patterns so I don't have to do them all over when I install a new driver.

Hope that explained it...
    Thanks for your help
    Arvidor

5. patje

Hi ArvidorSalvation is upon us!!

i found where windows stores the settings and it' s quite easy.
    It's stored in the registry under:

[HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\0001\Profiles]

If you select the Profiles folder, and goto Registry --> Export Registry file --> give it a name and save it to somewhere you remeber.

After reinstalling the newer drivers, all you have to do is doubleclick the registry file and that should work.

If you think it's not that easy, I could make a tool that does this automatically if you want.

It also stores other settings.

Let me know if works for you ok?

6. Arvidor

Good morning,

i tried it yesterday and I wasn't that easy...

The profiles weren't in:
    [HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\0001\Profiles]
    but in:
    [HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\H345-5693460-2344234-24234-ds45\Profiles]
    I just made that directory up but it was a quite long name with numbers and letters (Wow, that's precise:D ).
    Anyway, i managed to back up the patterns with the method you explained.
    After I installed the new driver and registered the backed up patterns, it happened to be, that there were two numbers and digit folders. One for the current driver and another one with the backup settings.
    Since it's impossible to copy and paste in the registry I created new sub folders in the new "H345-23dr32-23422-2342" directory and in there I created the exact same values like there were in the old profile folder. Then I edited the older ones and ctrl+c copied and pasted the values (e.g. 01 00 00 00 X...) from there to new ones.
    That took me quite long since I had a couple of different profiles, but finally it worked!

I guess there is a much easier way to do that, but why easy when you can do it the hard way...

A tool for that would be nice but since nobody but you and I have posted in this thread I believe there's no big interest in that one.

Thanks for your help and greetings to Belgium
    Arvidor

7. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

i think u could have just edited the .reg file to say the new folder that the new drivers created in the registry. (simple copy paste i think)...

and it would have worked even better and faster than what ya did :p same effect as what u did, but faster :p

a tool is hard to make because people will have differnt drivers and differnt {jdskfajsdklfj;asdklfja;l} reg folders :p lol, but easy enough to just look and change that in the reg file created. and stuff :p

8. patje

MindlessOath has a point.
    However, I could extract the HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop section from the registry and save it.

next, you install the newer drivers, you run the tool again.
    this times it extracts the same section and goes to compare with the older reg file. makes the necessary adjustments and create the new profile.

won't be easy, i'll tell you that.

you can ofcourse manually edit the reg file before you import it.
    i'm gonna have to think about this one.

btw Arvidor, where are you from?

9. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

i think a 3rd party app would be a great idea for backing stuff up, and indeed would be a lot of work making sure it would work right on everyones PC's meaning its going to have to be beta tested, and beta tessted in may differnt situations since some people use driver cleaner and some dont, and various other situations...

this would also be a great addition for UniAN or OMEGA drivers, if you build it for them, im sure they would love to add it :D seeing it helps the users backup their stuff for later use, which i hear a lot of people want. most of the time u just need to install the new drivers and everything is fine, but nothing that iwll back it up for later use lets say if u use driver cleaner etc, or format.

10. patje

ok, i'm getting to the bottom of this and see what I can come up with.
    If you get any more ideas, i'd be glad to hear them ofcourse.
    Thanks for the feedback