Backup

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I do manual backups of my files on multiple drives.

I want to add one more thing, have a "system image" backup so that if for example my system gets compromised, I can just erase all the drives and restore everything to the pre damaged point.
    That includes all the drives installed on the system and of course every piece of software installed including Windows 10.

What solutions are out there?

Backing up to a single external HDD.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

IMO the by far easiest solution is setting up a raid 1 array for the primary OS drive and swap it out every month or week and let it rebuild on the next drive.

Short of that you're venturing into cloning, or using utilizes to create restore images, such as windows 7's Back and restore utility in the OS.

As far as restoring literally all files across all drives... yeah good luck on a solution that isn't going to turn into a nightmare quickly or get excessively expensive.

Calliers likes this.
  3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I have always used Acronis... If you create an emergency recovery disk you don't even need to pay for it. It allows you to create a complete and total image of a disk.

QB

Calliers likes this.
  4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Ever since I came across it I've used Macrium Reflect. The free version allows you to clone one disk to another (often a paid feature with other software) and take a full image backup of the disks (which can be a differential backup), optionally on a schedule. The standard paid version adds the ability to backup files & folders incrementally (optionally encrypted) and a few other features.
    I personally tend to backup the most important files to the cloud and use Reflect for image backups of the OS drive. Worst-case, to be fair, I just re-install Windows.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What about Windows 10 system restore options? Anyone tried it?

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

system restore has never been reliable...

the next best option is simply the windows 10 control pannel option "windows 7 backup and restore"