Bad Router in Midwest?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by gonz0, Mar 9, 2005.

1. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Anyone else notice bad pings on all midwest servers when gaming from the west coast? I have cox@home server and somewhere in dallas there is a bad router. It's causing me and many of my online friends who are on the western side of it to have pings of 100-150 even when just two weeks ago we had pings of 60 on the same servers. Its been bad for about 3 weeks. Just wondering if any of the other DH'ers here have noticed the same thing or had any info about it?

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Run something like neotrace and have a look as the trace details

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I can support your finding there... i've notified my ISP serveral times that thier appears to be actually a few routers/server that are screwing up regularly in the states.

My ping and connection speeds are rock solid until i get a state below the canadian/us border. at which point some servers along the way show packet loss and extreme ping delays.... constantly intermitting.. and i've supplied traceroute evidence to back it all up.

My ISP although said they couldn't do anything about it, i erged them to give the host that owns them a call, which i was told they would do...

I previously had a server providing terrible routing to PoopyTheJ's server, after doing the above it was solved for about 2 or 3 weeks... now it's crapping out again.. and it's the same damn router/servers to.

A little further investigation led to the companies running them being AOL/Earthlink usually. (i think those are the 2.. )

ATM, i haven't gotten a responce back from my ISP to tell me if the problem has been solved, so i beleive they haven't been able to talk to the damn hosts at all yet. (my ISP is generally pretty good with these things)

ATM, majority of any US server i download/Play on is utter crap, combined with the game i'm currently addicted to Counter Strike Source's TERRIBLE utter crap netcode, 99% of my bullets are blanks, and were i stand on my screen, is usually a completely different story on everyone elses. Enless you live within a sub 50 ping raidias or sub 5 hops of the server, your generally screwed.

Also, i had within the last 2 week noticed some delays with DH even...

a trace route shows that halfway to the server i'm getting packetloss or major ping spikes... and hops before i sometimes get packetloss as well... :(

IMO, atm, the western side of US internet is utter garbage. for me anyways...