Ballmer Says Customers Don't Want XP: Will Be Discontinued in June

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Apr 25, 2008.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

The final days for Microsoft XP are fast approaching, according to the Microsoft

A hot debate is raging over what Microsoft should do with Windows XP. Windows Vista is simply not viable for low-end PCs that are a mainstay of the consumer home computing market. Windows XP was originally scheduled to be discontinued in January 2008. In preparation for this phase out, most retail computers were to be loaded with Vista.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yay!

3. RejZoR

RejZoR New Member

Well we weren't upgrading old Win98 rigs with Win2k when it came out if they were to lame to run it properly. But people just expect Vista to work even on the most god forbidden trash cans. Wake up. Windows XP also doesn't work good on Celeron 333MHz and 128MB of RAM where Win98 worked just fine :rolleyes:

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

actually it does.. and very well..

I can, and have, and used windows XP Pro SP2 on a intel 486DX 90mhz with 64mb of ram and 1.2gb hardrive...

Installed microsoft office (trimmed down) on it and it works quite well for doing internet related tasks and the basic email/office work... not to mention solitare..

What's funny about the situation is that it works more smoothly then windows 98 AND ME .... starts up faster, and generally more responcive not to mention better driver support .. (considering the machine was designed with windows 3.1 in mind and all the drivers from the manufacturer was pretty much 3.1 only) This ment that windows 95 and 98 and me were basically lacking in driver availability, ME would actually cause the system to crash durring install due to lack of drivers.

I have also sucessfully install Windows Vista on a Intel P3 450mhz machine with 384mb of ram. ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card and only a 20gb hardrive. The machine works excellent considering. Runnning in high performance mode of course, no nice bells and whistles, but i'd wager that i can make that machine do just as good of work as windows xp.

However in full fuctionality considering, it would be best with windows XP as there is still support for it.

I'm VERY surprised i was able to forcefully install windows vista on that machine.

Frankly my recommendation with windows VISTA is that the machine should have the minimum to actually see some damn good improvements over xp, and fuctionality.

5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

only judas would try that lol.

6. Iria

Iria New Member

Didn't Ballmer just say yesterday that if customers wanted XP they would extend the date?

7. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i thought so... think he has hit his bong one to many times??

8. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

He did say so Here

9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Every morning when Ballmer wakes up he instantly realises what every customer within a fifty mile range wants. And who am I to doubt him, I'm just part timing in a small store where most customers walk out with machines having XP. Perhaps we've been unwise to go against the mainstream and still leave them that choice.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  10. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I get all these news and online magazine headlines every day - yeah, we must be seeing some conflicting reports - or Mr. Ballmer really hasn't decided for sure yet maybe, possibly, hmmmm (am I being vague enough yet? :D).

...and I can understand Judas' point about Vista on older machines - I've done it on this Athlon Tbird - it works and does all the stuff - and it's pretty (and I was surprised - I expected it to be awful), but it does remind me of browsing the internet on dialup. At least Microsoft will be providing support for XP for quite a while yet.

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thunderbird, back when AMD still had some taste in naming CPUs.