Bass Redirection Clarification

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by RetroPhuture, Aug 8, 2007.

1. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Hi.

I have 5.1 headphones and Audigy2 ZS and play a lot of games. I was thrilled when I discovered kx drivers and their support for this bass function as I did't hear the bass channel before (blam those SB drivers). I have enabled this function BUT I discovered that whenever I play any 5.1 supported games I hear the bass from ONLY stereo tracks; like music, menu sounds or sounds that are "not-in-environment" (aka I drive a vehicle and hear it's engines and the bass is there, but I don't hear any bass when I shoot a rocket to a wall when it explodes).

Now I just want to know is this becouse Bass Redirection works that way (bass from stereo tracks is only directed to bass channel) OR because 5.1 sounds use 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 outputs which are NOT software processed?

Looking forward for an answer.

2. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

I figured out that surrounder only redirects bass that is coming from Wave stereo connections, which in turn is ussualy music, menus, static sounds etc.

Now I don't understand why isn't any bass redirected from 5.1 connections - FL, FR, SL, SR, C, LFE? If I connect any of these to WaveL/R on xrouter that is connected to Surrounder bass comes alive.

I'm asking this becouse I hate when something is in center of me and sounds "bassless".

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I would assume that to be related to limitations of the driver when it comes to 3D sound. Perhaps someone else knows for sure.

4. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Yes I found this topic:

http://www.driverheaven.net/3-d-audio/76695-half-life-2-no-bass.html

Same problem. The thing is that 5.1 audio doesn't get redirected to Bass, only "pure stereo sounds" (Bus 0/1), that's why music gets bass but exploding rockets don't :rofl:

Now I've read that I require a crossover but I can't figguer out what that is since the pic in that post can't be found. I'll ask there also.

Any help?

5. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Found crossover in 3538m release.