Batman nVidia PhysX Analysis @ DH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 24, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Article Here
    We will analyse multiple physX setups to suit all ranges of investment, from a wallet busting dual 295 GTX quad sli configuration to a much more affordable 250 GTS with 9400 GT. You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy Batman: Arkham Asylum, but you certainly can get benefits from more than one video card if you research carefully.

2. Jejking

Jejking New Member

Have you been checking ATi's performance in BAA? And then especially with PhysX on and monitoring CPU usage on the background. Reports say nVidia use a cheat: when ATi hardware is detected, the PhysX-driver allows only one CPU core to make calculations, resulting in horrible FPS.

3. HardwareHeaven

This is an Nvidia physx Hardware accelerated article - which is the entire focus. we mentioned in the introduction that ATI can run physx in software with the CPU (very well actually with an I7) and we covered that in the 5870 review. http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=842&pageid=15. We certainly didn't experience horrible FPS at all.

This is not a comparison between nvidia and ATI, nor is it focusing on any ATI hardware, it is a guide to let users with one Nvidia card make informed judgements on how to improve their physX experience with Batman. This obviously has the reflection that future physX games will benefit from the same choices.

I really hope we can keep this thread as a useful guide to nvidia users rather than focusing on other elements.

4. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Ok as Zardon said im not fuelling this but I need to make a point and I hope this won't start anything outside the purpose of the article which I understand.

How would something like this even be classed as a 'cheat' - did AMD pay to buy AGEIA? Have AMD then spent $$$ developing and researching it on their hardware? I fail to see why Nvidia even offer Software support as they own all the technology anyway, its a 'bonus' for AMD users as far as im concerned. Instead of bitching about this I wish AMD would listen to user feedback about the disaster zone that is CCC and get their drivers sorted. Then maybe they can buy their own technology and go through all the expensive research and development phases to help their end users. They fail to spend money on working with developers as well, I know people bitch about TWIMTBP, but it works! Can't imagine how they would ever get their own version of physX rolling, they just wont spend the money.

5. HardwareHeaven

I really do not want to see "ATI v Nvidia" in here guys. This is a guide for nvidia users.

Thank you in advance!

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I have just played through the game using a 9600GT. I ran in 1280x800 with everything maxed but no AA. I got pretty smooth frames all the way through with PhysX set to high. I noticed the odd slowdown if I jumped down onto breakable tiles but otherwise I was impressed with the performance on a low/mid gfx card. The only chugging section was the scarecrow bit with all the swirling bricks.

I am wondering if a separate PhysX card is even neccesary - surely a GTX280 would handle this easily.

7. mr yellow

mr yellow Driverheaven Trooper

Is is possible to run dedicated PhysX with an ATi GPU along side a nVidia GPU?
    I know nVidia disabled support for this if it detected a ATi GPU.

Any word if the latest PhysX driver will allow this?

8. phantommenace2

phantommenace2 hexa-core gamer

I agree...I'm 70% through the game and playing with a single GTX 260 with PhysX on High, 1920 x 1440, AA= 4X, AF= 16X, V-Sync= Enabled and all other advanced graphics settings enabled (Patch 1.1 installed as well)

game runs perfectly smooth with no issues at all in FPS or performance...in the Scarecrow levels I noticed a slight performance hit but nothing that would make me lower any graphical settings...I don't see any need for a dedicated PhysX card

9. clanman

clanman New Member

its like everything. some people dont see a need for overclocking, some people are happy with a 9600gt, some people don't even care if the frame rate drops. Then you get other people who want the maximum they can get.

Also I think its a little shortsighted to assume that just cause you don't see the need for a physx card, no one else does. a large portion of the high end audience are running 2560 as well and maybe want it a smooth 60fps throughout the whole game.

Everyone is different and who knows, if you had an older nvidia board laying around, why not use it ? that scarecrow frame rate hit you mentioned would very likely not be there.

Very useful article and I can see the bigger picture.

10. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

thats what i did when i got my 280GTX i had my bfg 9600 GT and now using it that way...so if you do have a card laying around add it youll noice a big diffents in physx...

11. compddd

compddd New Member

I just got a 5870 and Batman AA

Can you please tell me how to run PhysX on it like you guys did?

Thank you for your time

12. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hi!

I assume that you have AMD/ATi 5870 card. Unfortunately the PhysX can only be used with nVidia cards as you might seen it the article, all the gfx cards used were based nVidia's chips. So you wont have PhysX support at all with AMD/ATi card.