Been thinking about retirement lately

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, May 12, 2022.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

So lately I've been thinking a lot about retirement, and I have decided I am going to retire outside Canada. I don't want to retire here not because it isn't a lovely country, because it is, but mainly because I don't want to live a normalish life for the rest of my retired life. I want to live lavishly. And that can be done easily by living in South America, Asia or Africa. I have first hand experience with Africa more especially Southern Africa so I've decided it is going to be Namibia. Namibia is not only safe, they have good health care, a good policing system, good economy (knock on wood it stays that way) and are generally a successful country when compared to other African countries. Add to that that 1 CAD right now is worth 12.33 Namibian dollars and you see why I want to move there. I will live like a king.

I have also decided I am looking to retire around 55, not 65.

So, how about you guys, I know some of us (I'm lookin' at you @Dyre Straits ) are already retired, but for those of us who haven't retired yet, where do you want to retire to, and why? Also, are you on track for retirement? And if not are you in the process of making the necessary corrections to be so? Also btw, you can be as vague as you like when answering these questions if at all you choose to answer them.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    arb65912 and Mr Cairo like this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

was on track to retire at 60 but about 3 years before my 50th my Pension provider made a poor investment (all part of the risk) and I lost thousands from my pension pot that with the general day to day trials, redundancy and the UK economy have all possibly put paid to that so I may be one of the ones that has to go till 67 ... may change

Mortgage is finished in 5 years so that a yoke off the neck and my son is financially stable on his own now so that cost is also gone, however he will probably need help to purchase his first home as getting on the UK property ladder is more challenging than ever.

When I retire I don't have big plans I don't want to see the world my wife and I love being around the home and with each other the hope is that every 2 years or so we will take a cruise and other than that just get old

Even during retirement I would probably have to work a few days a week but not as much, would love to get back into some kind of Chef job part time but I was feeling the strain of those hours back when I was 30 so doing that at 60 will be a challenge ..would love some type of cooking work though maybe a small cafe .

arb65912, Calliers and IvanV like this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

dufaq... aren't you retired?

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I guess I am semi-retired... lol.

arb65912 likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you can't have a midlife crisis buying a benz or bmw... AND "retiring"....

IvanV, Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  6. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

You guys are funny. :D

Calliers likes this.
  7. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Answering the question. I am 65, I cannot believe it is true, but it is. :eek:

Still working, maybe few years, my retirement would be probably good enough to live on (very carefully though) but I feel OK to work so let's see how that rolls out. :)

IvanV, Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.