Begining of the end of Britain ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by FuNsTeR, May 6, 2011.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

I am totally against that idea that came up that Western Canada should separate from Eastern Canada, or even that Quebec should separate from Canada, good thing it remained just that, an idea.

2. AMDproud

AMDproud New Member

when i comes to uk politics we have the worst goverment/leaders in the world on guy gets us i debt, the other sparks a flame for riots and goes on holiday and his partner in goverment bricks it and forgets hes a nation leader. get a politician give them 9k, 2kids, a council house, no benefits and a car then tell them to survive when the local shop is 3 miles away, see how long it takes for this debt to be sorted and for them to stop lining there own pockets

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Certainly our politicians are self-serving and incompetent, but this is true the world over. If anything, ours are above average (see Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia...).

And giving politicians less money is hardly going to incentivise them to stop lining their pockets. What it would do is leave us with even worse politicians - part of the problem is that politics is such an unnattractive career for the kind of people that could do well elsewhere (i.e. decent, competent people).

As for your account of recent history:

• The UK has the best government debt situation in the developed world. You have Gordon Brown to thank for this, believe it or not.
      • Going into the 2008 recession, our debt level as a percentage of national GDP was the lowest of any developed nation. It remains one of the lowest, despite growing due to the purchase of bank stakes (which we will eventually be repaid for).
      • We have our own independent central bank, meaning that we can use quantitative easing or inflation to climb out of debt issues. This means that we could never find ourself unable to pay our debts if we wished to.
      • We issue government bonds over a very long period, much longer than other comparable nations. So each year, we have very few loans to refinance.
      • If you're thinking "but what about all these cuts the coalition are having to do", those are excessive, poorly chosen, and, in my opinion, show a lack of adequate understanding.
    • The riots were not single-handedly sparked by David Cameron. They are evidence of a long standing social phenomenon.
    • I couldn't possibly comment on the possibility of Clegg having bricked himself.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  4. AMDproud

AMDproud New Member

fair play iv'e got to admit you have got a good point but the pressure applied to the working class is increasing and this what sparked the riots with the current increases in tax, and the general cost living going up with-out balncing the income to meet the current change in the cost of living, the minimum has not increased to compensate for this. problems like this use to affect me but no longer do. the only thing gordon brown did wrong was ever be part of the britsh politically system when he was chancellor he sold all the gold reserves when the prices were at the lowest, if he never did that we could now have a fall back, secondly he spent all our money on wars we never belonged in.

5. AMDproud

AMDproud New Member

you have to agree :)

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I don't have to agree, but as it happens I will. He made a mistake with the gold and I think western society in general made a mistake with excessive military involvement in the Middle East. Although this is all easy to say in hindsight.

I also agree that the poorest are being made increasingly badly off at the moment. Although I'm not sure you can blame that alone for the riots - I think they had a lot to do with a disillusionment with the system that goes beyond economic inequality.

7. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

8. AMDproud

AMDproud New Member

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

1984 anyone?

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's been like that in the US for ages, hasn't it? Not that that makes it a good thing, of course.

11. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Part of me loathes the idea of a breakup, I would not like to both Country's suffer politically or on economic basis. Then of course I am brought back to my senses. My late Grandad was Aberdeen born and bred and a proud Scotsman whom bled for this Isle. The Scots have done a lot for England and I for one would like to see them succeed. Britain has no relevance to those of us that count ourselves English, Irish, Scotish or Welsh.