benefits of linux what makes you use it?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by kris23, Oct 6, 2008.

1. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

hey guys!

well...... even though i know plenty about windows...

i R teh total NEWB @ da linux :p

im thinking of downloading and using one on my system just to mess with,

so what do you guys use it for and why? and what do you recommend as a good thing to start with? :confused:

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

There's really no best way to do it, there's the easy way and the frustrating way :p

You can try building Gentoo completely from source if you like.... you'll learn alot of things about how and why Linux works, but it will most likely be frustrating trying to get it all work.

You can use Ubuntu, which is a simple boot and install (even does a repartition and multiboot setup for you with two clicks), but you'll have to start poking around alot more to learn the nitty gritty.

To be honest, I'd go with option 2. You'll learn enough about how the basic things in *nix work without having to go through the pain and suffering.

As to what to use it for, in my opinion, you can use Linux for most everything except gaming (and even that is steadily improving). Windows will probably be the better platform to play 3D games on but you can do everything else under Linux with minimal effort.

charm_quark and blibbax like this.
  3. rebel07

rebel07 New Member

why because it tolaly free OS,APPLICATION..
    it more secure and virus,spyware,adware,trojan... free
    and you can customized in the way you want to and its opensourced

and you can used for your daily work or entertament time without gaming

try ubuntu or opensuse they are easy and work smoothly

however i heared that big companys like IBM AND GOOGLE uses linux

4. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Using Linux gives me a big feeling of relief, once it's installed. Rock solid and FAST.

5. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Also, to mention some more, two good things about it are flexibility, and centralized software repositories.

I actually dual boot on desktop and use only Linux on laptop.

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Any version of Ubuntu (from Xubuntu to Ubuntu Studio) will provide you with an easy step into Linux with less hassle even than a Windows installtion.

You can start getting braver as you become more experienced.

7. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

I actually made the full switch to Ubuntu over a month ago and have been loving it. No more Vista slow down, no having to worry about malware(for the most part) or Viruses(again for the most part). I used Wubi(installs in Windows so you remove it when you dont want linux anymore) it basically creates a partition for you, lets you access the Windows partition etc and use it like its a normal linux install. When you boot up it loads the Windows boot loader to choose which OS.

The ubuntu community is fantastic and usually has information concerning what you are looking for. I play games just fine using it as well, Wine lets me run World Of Warcraft with ZERO issues and it actually runs far better than it did under vista(go opengl!). There is also another application called CrossOver that lets you emulate some windows apps as well and is backed by support(this is a paid version) and Wine is the free version. You can do quite abit, don't mean to talk up a storm but think you should give it a shot, you will learn a lot and possibly appreciate what the open source community is all about =)

System specs below are wrong btw, but it did run fine on that laptop as well:

Using a Dell Vostro 1500 with Geforce 8600M GT, excellent support for nvidia products!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Mmmm thread resurection (drools).

Good points though, the only one I'd disagree with is mutitasking, where my PC seems to have significantly better RAM management under Vista than Xubuntu or Ubuntu.

9. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

Debian is actually far more memory efficient than Ubuntu. So if you need an operating system which is better in this regard too, then go for Debian!

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

TY for the tip, I've been meaning to go through all the popular distros for some time, but I haven't got round to it. Debian seems to be one of the most highly regarded though.

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I disagree on stability regarding Ubuntu but it depends what you are doing with it. Overclocking I found using 2 systems here with XP (32 bit), Vista (64 bit and 32 bit) and Ubuntu 8.04 (64 and 32 bit) that Ubuntu became unstable much sooner than the others (64 and 32 bit).

But this is just regarding overclocking and could be due too my setups here ...

12. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I use it on my HTPC for two reasons;

1 - It's free
    2 - MythTV

13. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

its functions (in shell) are better(not necessarily easy),, better security features that windows,,, but i'm a noob so i use it in a virtual machine..:(

14. khelben1979

khelben1979 New Member

I have tested Ubuntu Hardy and Intrepid and from my short experience by using these two versions I experienced them to be unstable. Since Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable this could explain why, also.

I've never liked Ubuntu myself, but their forum is excellent and I'm a member there myself and try to help out as much as I can. After all Ubuntu is still Linux and since I favour Linux over Windows, even Ubuntu feels more interesting to me.

15. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I still use 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu it's nice and light and fairly quick as long as your not O/Cing as I mentioned. On the Cele rig here is how the 3 OS's measured up on max O/C stable. (from 2.6G)

1) Windows XP SP3 (32 bit) - 3.6G
    2) Vista Ultimate SP1 (32 bit) - 3.3G
    3) Ubuntu Linux 8.10 (32 bit) - 3.1G

16. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Just installed it(linux) and so far so good !

17. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Cool feedback and let us know how it works for ya ;)

18. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

yah rite he like's it,,, havin us do all the hard work....... while he's sitting and gamin on the other hand.......

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

????

20. charm_quark

charm_quark incognito

cow like it when it's working:)... and when it doesn't he call's us in (me and dawgxdenta)...... rite now i'm not really sure if he sticks to his original opinion ;-)