Best cooler for 9800pro

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by kuzujanakis, May 1, 2003.

1. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Hello,

So what are the best recommendations for an aftermarket cooler
    for the 9800 pro. I don't want to remove the shim if I don't have
    to.

Thanks!

2. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

You may check this product out and contact OcSystems and see if it will fit on the 9800pro. I dont know for sure if it will. Website is: www.ocsystem.com/ocati90vidca.html You also can read about this kit on a thread in this particular forum titled 9700 Pro Mod? I purchased this kit and made a little mistake on the installation, but several guys have since used it with good success. The kit comes with no instructional procedures so be sure and read the thread mentioned above concerning the installation, and if it does fit your 9800 pro Im sure you will have no problems. It is reasonably priced for what you get. ;) P.S. I just called the page up and it has been updated and yes it does fit the 9800 Pro. So your in business if you decide to purchase the kit !;) You can also order a tube of the AS3 (artic silver from this same vendor)

Last edited: May 1, 2003
  3. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Awesome, going to purchase that right away!

4. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Good Luck, and let us all know how it goes after the add-on !

5. arjun

arjun New Member

my 9800pro overheated and died

6. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Well I know you did not have time to order and receive the kit from Ocsystems yet, so what did you do in the way of OCing the card. Also what is your system specs? Also let us know what size power supply do you have?:confused:

7. apotsi

apotsi New Member

arjun: Which 9800pro? Hercules, Sapphire...other ??? Please give us more info...

8. apotsi

apotsi New Member

kuzujanakis: Eisai ellinas ??? If not, then just ignore...

9. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

apotsi,

If "Eisai ellinas" is greek, you got me - I am. Only problem
    is that I don't speak or read a word of it.

Hope it means something nice! :w00t:

10. apotsi

apotsi New Member

It is greek. It means "Are you Greek?". Where from?

11. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

My parents and grandparents are from Kavala. I haven't been, but my
    wife and I plan on visiting in the next couple years. I have lots of relatives
    there, most I have met from them coming here.

12. apotsi

apotsi New Member

OK. See you around... I have sent you a PM also...

13. fatmanp

fatmanp New Member

Looks like Hercules board comes with nice cooler.

14. HardWired

HardWired New Member

That cooler from ocsystem.com will not work on the 9800 Pro. It is made exactly for the 9700 Pro, and that's it. The 9800 has a slightly different layout of the transistors/caps, and from what I have read from others, it will not work.

Plus, ocysytem.com is one online retailer to stay away from.

Click here to look at their reseller rating

A 3.36 lifetime rating is very low, and the comments on the first page alone is enough to scare any conscientious consumer away.

"Be afraid...be very afraid"

15. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

youre pretty new to the board

I happen to own the cooling unit in question

it is not made by ocsystem they just sell it and i have bought many products from them without a single issue whatsoever

i dont take the word of just one site i research and go by experience of people i actually know

the cooling solutions is actually from thermaltake and is one of the best cooling solutions you can get for a radeon 9700Pro/9800Pro

it will fit both of them just fine and does its job well

heres proof in the form of pics regarding where things are on both a 9700 and 9800

top pic is 9800 bottom pic is 9700
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my non pro was stuck at 275/250 stock

its now at 325/317 with not a prob

Last edited: May 7, 2003
  16. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Yes I am new to this board Crash Override...nice to meet you. And thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Just to address a couple of your rermarks...I never said it was a bad cooler or that Thermaltake did not make quality hardware. I merely stated two things. One, that I doesn't fit the 9800 Pro, just the 9700 Pro. Do you own a 9800 Pro? If not, how could you comment on whether it fits properly or not? Have you heard from a 9800 Pro owner who has used it?

Look at the pictures here
    or even a better more close up comparison of the right side of the card here

Do you see the difference in the layout on the right side of the card? That cooler will not fit the 9800 Pro because there are capacitors in the way that are not present or in a different spot on the 9700 Pro. And the way the cooler reaches over to the far right side edge of the card, it simply does not accomadate the design change of the 9800.

And second, my comments on ocsystem.com is not just my opinion. Resellerrating.com is the reference site on the Internet if you want to look up the track record of an online retailer. It currently contains over 75,000 reviews on over 3,900 companies. While I am glad that you have made many purchases from ocsystem.com without a hitch, you can read for yourself that there are countless other people who have not had as good of an expierence with them as you have. The rating of a company listed on resellerrating.com is not the opinion of one site, but rather a cumulative overall rating based on testimonials from thousands upon thousans of consumers.

Last edited: May 7, 2003
  17. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

my reply to you wasnt a flame by the way and you are welcome to use the board :)

you didnt look at the way the cooler is oriented

if you look at the shape of the TT cooler it will fit the 9800Pro

but not the ones that you have shown nor the one i posted

none of those are BBA 9800's i just noticed

none of them have the ATi logo silkscreened onto them

18. HardWired

HardWired New Member

No problem...I didn't take your post as a flame. But until someone has posted that they have used this particular cooler on a 9800 Pro, I don't think it's fair to say that it fits. Even the page at Thermaltake describing the reference cooler makes no reference to the 9800.

I guess we'll have to wait to hear from kuzujanakis on whether it fits or not.

I'll bet you lunch it doesn't ;)

19. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Crash is right about the TT kit fitting the 9800 pro. I recommended this cooler to this thread- starter, and at the initial time I replied to him, I too was not sure if it would fit the 9800pro. I have the 9700 pro and it does fit it. I called up Ocsystems website again and yes it does mod the 9800 pro the same as the 9700 cards. The website is www.ocsystem.com/ocati90vidca.html I have not ordered as many items from this vendor as Crash has, but the few times I have, the shipping and tech support has been just fine. You know its not like your ordering a thousand dollars worth of goods from these folks. Around 30 bucks for the cooler and a tube of AS3 is not a bundle of cash. Some of these vendors, do screw people around from time to time, and Im sure the re-seller rating is kind of like some folks credit reports. Once you screw it up, it takes a long time to get a good rating. I personally think the vendor OCsystems, is trying to do right now, so give em another chance. What`s 30 bucks! About a tank of gas in my truck ! ;)

20. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Hi Silverfox...

I don't mean to thread crap or start a flame war. Really. The last thing I am is a good flamer.

And heck I just got here. I'd like to make a good first impression. I consider myself a nice guy and I'm just trying to look out for people and offer any advice I think might be helpful.

I also owned this cooler, but I recently sold it to mod my 9700 Pro like this.

Here's a look at my 3DMark Scores with it.
    3DMark03
    3DMark01

As far as ocsystem, I've had my own dealings with them (not just with buying this cooler) and it's my belief they'll tell you almost anything to get you off the phone. That is, if you can even get through to them on the phone. Really, I think they offer such hot looking stuff that people are flocking to them in droves and they don't have the staffing to handle all of their business. They also have a b&m retail store there in CA and between that and the online site, I think they're just overwhelmed.

Follow the link to their reseller rating in my first post and read just the first couple of pages. People don't just make stuff like that up. Tons of people are having truly horrible experiences with them. And 3.36 is a horrible rating. While your at resellerrating.com, look up someone like newegg.com. They have a 9.81 rating, and that's with almost 4000 people leaving comments on their buying experience with them.

Anyway...all that aside, I'll still bet you (and Crash) lunch that cooler won't fit the 9800 Pro (even though ocsystem said it would).

But you'll have to come to Denver to claim it. ;)