Best cooler for 9800pro

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by kuzujanakis, May 1, 2003.

1. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

in your case it would be washington for you to claim yours for me and I cant remember where Silverfox is :)

but i think for some of the 9800Pros it will fit them otherwise ocsystem would have to eat their own words pretty quickly

btw if you wanna talk about horrible support and cheating customers try dealing with GameVE

I have never had anything but problems with them

The company I trust the most for anything but mod gear *since they dont really carry it* is googlegear

ive done lots of business with them as well and boy are they good guys :)

2. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Yep...agreed Googlegear has a 8.20 RS rating and they've always done right by me as well.

I'm looking forward to kuzujanakis getting his cooler so he can let us know if it fits the 9800 or not.

Nite all... :sleep:

3. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Hello people,

You guys are making me nervous!!! I did order the cooler. It is scheduled to arrive
    tomorrow via UPS.

I will let you know immediately!

Later.

4. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Kuzujanakis, just remember not to hesitate and ask all the questions you feel pertinent to the installation. If you have a 9800 pro (ATI), hopefully it will fit just fine. If you haven`t yet, go to the thread titled: 9700 Pro Mod, posted previously in this same forum section, and most of your concerns should be addressed. Good Luck! Crash is pretty much the guru on this installation, so address your questions directly to him. (AS3 amounts and placement locations.)
    Hardwired, I live in Houston, Texas. And by the way, welcome to the forums. Opinions from folks like yourself and all the guys that post in DriverHeaven, is what makes this site one of the best out there! Right or wrong, we all learn from our mistakes and thats the reason two heads are better than one and three`s even better ! ;)

5. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Yep, I do have the 9800pro... And like most people on this board, I am not satisfied with default
    performance and that is why I am getting the cooler. I will review that other thread, thanks. I will
    also let everyone know the results when I get it together tomorrow.

6. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Kuzujanakis, just remember if you plan on using the AS3 (artic silver), to remove the Thermaltakes existing square thermal pad they place on the fan side(HSF). Scrape it off, and clean the blue plate surface with alcohol, are nail polish remover. Thats the one step I overlooked and screwed-up on. Again Good Luck !;)

7. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Yep, I will most definitely be using AS3 - thanks for the tip!

I just hope the thing fits my 9800...

8. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

a whole day and hes not back yet

/me starts looking nervously into my wallet to see only moths flying out ;)

9. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

According to the UPS website, that cooler is sitting at my house. Unfortunately, I am at work and I won't know until later this evening if it works...

I hate waiting.

10. HardWired

HardWired New Member

I hate the waiting game too. I'm a total hardware geek when it comes to computers and even Overnight service is not fast enough sometimes.

I just got my built by ATI retail 9800 Pro last night. :cool:

It runs very hot on the backside of the PCB just like the 9700. But even if the cooler kuzujanakis ordered works (which you already know how I feel about it fitting) I think I'm going to mod it just like I did my 9700. I don't think ramsinks (or having them covered like that cooler does) helps o'cing the ram much ...if at all. I'd rather have the ram uncovered and open to the air and just have some cool air blowing over it...like from a case side panel fan. But I don't want to get into a ramsink or no ransink argument. I say, "to each his own".

Hey kuzujanakis...aren't you feeling reeeally sick right now?? I think it would probably be best if you went home immediately and spent the rest of the day in bed? ;)

11. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Hello people...

Well, I am home from work and I have had a chance to look at the new cooler
    for my video card. It sure looks like it would do a good job - too bad looks
    don't mean Jack!

This cooler does not fit a stock ATI built 9800 pro, period.

I am not a happy camper. I sure wish I knew this before I ordered the thing.

Fortunately, it didn't cost much. Hopefully they will take it back with no troubles.

What a bunch of crap. Says right on the web page 9700/9800 cards.

Oh well, I guess I am the lesson for ya'all...

Ugh.

12. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Congratulations Hardwired, your statements obviously were correct, and thats why three heads sometimes are even better than two ! Sorry, Kuzujanakis, for any misleading statements I may have made in regards to your purchase. I simply saw the same ad depiction on OcSystems website as you did. Make sure they pay for the shipping cost back and the shipping cost you already paid for also. :uhoh:

13. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

I don't hold anyone here responsible... That is why these forums exist, to discover the
    real truth and provide real information to the readers. I jumped the gun in ordering this
    without any reviews or personal accounts. I really wish it would have worked because it
    sure looked like it would have done a good job cooling.

Oh well...

14. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

that does suck in the extreme because those coolers really do work good

for me i was stuck at an overclock of only 290/300 max with the stock cooler

now i run it at like 325/317 and i know i can run it higher than that

safety in numbers ;)

15. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Yeah I didn't want to get too cocky and have a "know it all" attitude, especially after just arriving on the board. But I don't usually comment on things I don't feel reasonably certain about.

After owning the 9700, and that particular cooler, and seeing the pics of the 9800, I just knew it wouldn't fit because of those capacitors on the right edge of the card on the 9800 that aren't there on the 9700.

I just wish I could have joined up and jumped in a day earlier to save kuzujanakis the troubles. We consumers have to stick together. That's why sites like resellerrating.com exist. And again, I know Crash said he's had at least one good experience with them, but the majority of people dealing with them have not. And if you read a lot of those feedbacks on ocsystem at resellerrating, you'll see they're not very accommodating at all with returns either...whether it's their fault or not.

Good luck with the return kuzujanakis... you'll have to let us know how it goes.

16. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

i know lots of people who have dealed with ocsystem without any problems at all

matter of fact ebay has a system similar to that of resellerratings for rating sellers on their sites

they made it a closed system so that only those who had made an actual purchase or sold to a user could post any feedback as friends and family or just random people would post bad things who had never bought from them at all

Any open system like that is flawed and if someone thinks a company is bad because of what theyve heard and make a judgement while posting a score on a site like resellerratings then its all over for that company even if they never did that person any harm.

Its like that in the town I live. The guy who owned Computer Central went to jail for raping a child and i do mean a child. His business is still booming while hes in jail. All because of the fact that one man said his store was still a good place to get computers fixed. No matter how many people speak ill of that store it stays open due to momentum of he said they did a good job blah blah. Recently I was in there and one of the salesmen tried to sell me 2 parts that were top of the line for 300 dollars.

What were the 2 parts you might ask? An ATi Radeon 7000 32MB SDR memory video card (fastest card on the market he said). He also tried to sell me a motherboard (I had mentioned having a KT400 based motherboard), he said mine wasnt the top of the line anymore and I needed and upgrade to something brand new that wouldnt be obsolete for a year. He brings out a brand of motherboard I'd never heard of. Said it supports the newest technologies on the market. It's MicroATX with nothing onboard and only 2 PCI slots and no AGP. It also supports the new PC133 memory on the market as well as a brand new K7 Slot A CPU.

I stand in awe as this man is their chief repairman. He is also the man that when a friend of mine against my advice took his system in to buy a cdrw and have it installed got charged about 300 dollars for the drive and labor. When he gets home and hooks his DigiCam and Printer up none of it works and he also cant use his floppy drive and his sound card is on the fritz.

The problem? The guy at the store had pried the case open since he couldnt figure out how to open the front from the bottom where its labeled lol. Upon doing that he got it open but it came up and hit against the floppy drive way too hard killing it.

once in the case he tries to remove the wire from the sound card to the current cdrom drive (when he didnt need to as this was adding the drive not replacing the existing one) and he cant figure out not to just pull on the side thats on the sound card and breaks the wire in half (and uses gray tape to put it back together to match the color of the shielding). Then he goes into bios and disables onboard DMA support as well as USB support meaning all his drives are now running in PIO mode and no USB.

All of this just to install a CDRW drive.....(did i mention he forget to plug it into the motherboard? must be wireless ata :rolleyes:)

Now the one question remaining is this. What company do you think everyone else in town swears by? The answer. His. lol

There are 3 other computer stores in town (I work in one of them) that are dying to get that attention. His store gets almost all of it though since they are so skilled ;)

Right now one of the guys just had to cut all of his staff but hisself since he couldnt afford em at one store and right now i am working for free at my future bro-in-laws shop and the third guy went off the deep end and became a mac specialty store

I know this post was long and probably boring lol but the point of it is this.

I dont trust open rating systems where anyone, even those who may never even have visited the site, get to post their rating on how they think the store is.

It's flawed and in the end can hurt more companies than help.

17. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Very good analogy Crash! But for the life of me, what was OcSystems expecting to gain by falsely advertising the cooler from TT to fit the 9800 pro. Looks like they will spend more money in shipping costs paid back to the consumer than any monetary supplement! Whomever in their company is responsible for the ad, should be canned. Kuzujakanis should also report Ocsystems to Thermaltake. We the consumer seems to always get the short end of the stick. We all spend countless hours of our time taking back crap to retailers that dont work. Again Kuzujakanis, I am very sorry I suggested this cooler for the 9800 card. Please accept my apology. :(

18. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I agree. The person who came up with saying that it will fit both should be canned or at least reprimanded in the extreme

One individual does not a good or bad company make though.

Hopefully my dealings with them in the future will be as good as they have so far.

If not well then another day older, another day wiser ;)

19. kuzujanakis

kuzujanakis New Member

Just an update...

The stinking company will refund my money, but refuses to pay for the shipping back to them. I absolutely find this completely unacceptable. There web page still states that this cooler is for both the 9700 and the 9800. I realize that the money isn't much, but I certainly will NEVER purchase another thing from there.

20. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Have you personally spoken with their sales management, concerning this matter and the false depiction of their web page.:mad: