Best game recommedations of 2006?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by raid517, Aug 31, 2006.

1. raid517

raid517 New Member

Hi, OK, I've been out of the gaming scene for a while - for various reasons I kind of lost interest a little. However I have just recently bought a new gaming laptop and naturally I am keen to find out just what exactly it can do.

So I am considering buying a few games. In this light I would very much appreciate therefore if any of you guys here could recommend some hot games I should try out?

I am interested in most kinds of games - although I like FPS type games most - and particularly anything that involves a requirement to really think through a strategy.

So anything you guys can reccomend would be very much welcomed.

Basically what I'm asking is, what are the top games of 2006? (And yes I really have been out of it for that long).

Thanks in adavance!

2. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

defiantly not bf2

edit: In consideration to Battlefield 2, albeit an entertaining game, it has it's flaws which, in my honest opinion, would cause it to not show up as a nomination on the Best of 2006 award. While the Battlefield series has long been in standing with the FPS community as a game where any death is imaginable, and thus every kill is as imaginable as ones death. The game is essentially flawed in it's lack of support from the developers. DICE Canada has issued a number of patches which offer not fixes, but even more destroyed netcode, bugs, and features that no one asked for. The game is also very intense on one's system, with memory leaks all other sorts of fun stuff. Looking at the gameplay,sound,re-play value, and other things though, i would rate it as top notch material, close to around the 90th percentile. With EA's clever marketing team, the booster packs offer new armies, new maps, new weapons. All of which could have been done with patches, but they opted for the more profitable approach.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  3. raid517

raid517 New Member

Well I have played BF2 and I like it - but I'm not really looking to start a debate on whether a game is good or not, as people will always have different opinions on this. All I am looking for is people's reccomendations of what they played and what they liked - and maybe a few lines explaining why they liked it.

Saying that this or that game sucked is really besides the point - and is likely only to detract from the original question that I asked.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  4. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

I like Half Life 2 and episode 1, not sure if you played either. I also like the online mod hidden Source

5. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Oblivion, Just make sure your running your laptop off wall power :)

6. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow Banned

imo 2006 has been a dismal year for gaming on all fronts. The 360 despite being the only next gen console has offered no compelling exclusive titles. Apart from Odama, not much for Gamecube either. PS2 has seen a cpl good innovative titles with Guitar Heroes and Kingdom Hearts 2. PC has been just meh, with slightly above average titles like Quake 4 and Prey and here I thought that Half Life 2 had raised the bar for FPS gaming. I'm not particularily interested in western rpg's either so scratch Oblivion off that list as well.

Mostly I've been buying old console titles now that they are common and can be had on the cheap. For PC I've been playing all of the free Half Life 2 mods and alot of DoD: Source custom maps.

I think the best in 2006 is going to come this holiday season and early '07. With the launch of Wii, PS3, the release of PC titles such as Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Huxley, BF 2142, and more this holiday is shaping up to be pretty exciting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Oblivion should be at the top of your list followed by Hitman: Blood Money, HL2: Episode 1 and maybe Prey (short but good).

8. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

der u go

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

PC games only?

10. the big Firefly

the big Firefly New Member

titans quest
    prey
    hl 2 epesode 1
    spellforce 2

11. raid517

raid517 New Member

Erm.. Well pretty much, since I said it was for a laptop, yeah... :p

GJ

12. mtsaint

mtsaint New Member

Guild wars is a great MMORPG with NO online subscription fee's.
    Oblivion should be at the top of the list although minimum requirements wont even play the game i bought an extra 1.5gig's of ram just to play it!.
    NeverwinterNights although an older game I am extremely pleased by the diamond edition and its online support.
    If you own an Xbox Get Ninja Gaiden Black Strategy is key in this game. Action just doesnt get any tighter a must own.
    As you can see Im not so much into FPS have you since that's your bag PREY is great.

13. raid517

raid517 New Member

Well I'm into war games too. I still think the greatest war game ever made was Operation Flashpoint - and I weep and long for the day when they release a new version. (Especially since it seems to be taking forever).

I liked that game because it ticked all the boxes. It covered a huge expansive landscape, it required some real forethought and lateral thinking in order to complete the missions and it allowed you to use virtually any item in the game in whatever way you wished. And it was utra realistic (for it's time) if someone shot you in the wrong place (like the head or the heart) you died - if you were lucky you might just get injured. But you always had to be aware of th fact that you didn't always have 3 lives before you died, or a 'life meter' or whatever - and in this way it served to remind you that war really was a life and death situation.

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Ok got a few more recommendations based on demos. These games aren't all out yet but either this month or next but the demos were great.

Company of Heros (RTS)
    Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (RTS)
    Call of Juarez (Gunfighting!)

15. Cba - Andy

Cba - Andy Got milk?

star wars - empire at war was enjoyable i believe

16. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Most of my new games were released in 2005 or older lol. I mean I bought them this year but were last year's releases. Still, 2 games that I have to propose are Need For Speed Most Wanted and Quake 4. If I think of more I will post.

17. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Hitman - Blood Money for sure :D

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

for some reason I've replayed A New Life lvl about 400 times. Usually when I'm waiting for a call I boot it up, take a clown hostage and blow em away lol. Beat it on every difficulty though with all the good upgrades : (

19. ViP3RH3LL

ViP3RH3LL New Member

Woohoo!

I really really liked HL2 EP1. Wow the standalone was awesome, the most fun I have had with a halflife game to date. The entire 6 hours was awesome adventure but the car ride had me going good. EP2 I can't wait for it, finally halflife 2 is going in a exciting direction.

Call Of Juarez isnt that good imo. Can't forget about Neverwinter Nights 2, that game should rock your socks. The first one was cool, the 2nd one looks even better. Then there is Brother's In Arm's Hell's Highway :D. Dungeon Siege 2 really sucked big, what a bad game. But I think you should wait til the year is over before saying which one is best considering some really cool ones are going to be released later this year. So HL2 EP1 has my vote as top dog so far. *Edit* *Add*
    I liked oblivion alot when I got it and the story was ok, but not the best. Traveling around doing quest for people or just exploring is cool but that gets kind of old fast. I think this will be my last Elderscrolls game I get. But it's good for beautiful places night or day. As long as you get mods or add new stuff to oblivion it shouldnt be to boring after a while. I stopped playing 2 weeks after I finshed the storyline. Now it's just collecting dust on my shelf... heh. I mostly into killing people with guns instead of swords or magic crap.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  20. afkone

afkone New Member

I'd say Oblivion, Titan Quest, Hitman Blood Money for games that are already out...As for those to come out... Neverwinter nights II, E.T.Q.W and definately Just Cause.. Thats going to be awesome...