Best Games ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Falstaff, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ferret_Style

Ferret_Style Bouncing off the Walls

Cod is great cause it will run on dam near anything... With my friends being some cheapskates due to having kids it works well when we want to lan game. Plus it is decent graphics and fun to play. Far cry .. doom 3 all those are just too flashy and plus i have not found a better ww 2 era game that i like better. Bothers in arms was .. well borning since it was all based on squad not single player.

2. row

row New Member

i vasilate too much to put them in any particular order but far cry for it's out of nowhere perfection...no bumps...no hiccups...as delivered it was what all games should aspire to, not to mention the best a.i. of any game ever :duh:

the most fun i've had recently had to be pain killer an it's expansion pack, not only was it over the top visually, but to date it's weaponry has no equal [​IMG]

depending on what day of the week it is my all time favorites have to be half life and deus ex...dated, but at the time there had been nothing like them, sort of like going from 50's doo wop to hendrix :eek:

max payne (both) were superior titles...any unreal tournament game...thought doom 3 while not necessarily scary did an excellent job of setting the tone and feeling of the situation (and it was beautiful to look at)...best thing about hl2 was it physics, too bad the engine was developed elsewhere...guess i'd have to throw in rtcw which filled a huge void :cool:

don't play anything other than fps's so i have no opinion on the other genre's

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

What about the new ones coming, I would love to get my hands on a demo of Quake wars.

4. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Yeah it looks nice but they are still releasing cheap looking videos and screens of it. By the sound of the title and what I have seen so far, it would most likely be a class type game (which we need more of). DoD:S should be quiet good. F.E.A.R. goes without saying.

5. CrapolaJola

CrapolaJola The Great DaK

Crono Trigger
    FarCry
    Quake 3
    FF7
    Star Ocean 1/2 (1 is wierd cuz its translated jap snes rom, but 2 is just hawt)
    Shining Force 2
    Day of Defeat
    Half Life 2
    CoD/CoD:UO
    warcraft series, more specifically warcraft 3:tft and wow

6. Ferret_Style

Ferret_Style Bouncing off the Walls

I also have to say the ps2 game i am playing now Alteirs Irus: Eternal Mana or something like that is really sweet... Graphics are decent but they have alot of voice overs and a really solid game play. For those old school RPG fans it is a must!

7. nitrousoxide52

nitrousoxide52 Driverheaven.com err .net

Where is Granturismo in those lists? That game was amazing, and it was hard too. Omg endurance races that took countless hours.... NFSU2 is the easiest game on the planet I played it for a day and unlocked everything.

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

X-Wing and Tie Fighter were pretty much perfect for me, but then I am an old git.

Gran Turismo is the greatest driving sim ever, even though I could only get to 99.7% complete (gold in everything. Where does the other 0.3% come from? :confused:)

Other than that my opinions aren't that strong, although I did like Dawn of War (think that's its name) when I got it a few months back. It's good fun (especially multi-player).

9. Lakevren

Lakevren MedicalEntropy

FPS: Half Life 2, BF1942, Half Life, Farcry.

Strategy: Rise of nations, (Erased Rome Total War) Medieval: Total War, Age of Empires 1 and 2

Role Playing: Baldur's Gate 2. Period. I'd also say Planescape Torment, but I haven't played it. Oh, forgot, Fallout 2.

Simulation: IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles

I stuck with PC games for those.

Games not worthy: Doom 3, Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft (for a lot of reasons), C&C Generals, UT2k4, Call of Duty (wow, MP was one of the worst i've played)

Why I think those games are not worthy:
    Doom 3... uh, same old crap, with "better graphics" (god, the shadows were too much). C&C Generals? That was pure crock. Call of Duty, already explained. World of Warcraft appealed to first-time MMORPGers and immature players (community was rude and stupid). Warcraft 3... Warcraft 2 was great. Warcraft 3 was a mediocre improvement (have to admit though, TFT made it better). UT2k4? I think UT was better, imo. Guild Wars... WAS fun. Then I never played it again.

Also, Forza > GT. Forza actually was harder to drive (made it more fun). At least you could FEEL the oversteer. With GT, you can tweak the car to oversteer all the way, and you will never spin out.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  10. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Mafia on the PC. quite a few others but that is always the first that comes to mind.

11. row

row New Member

what about this game by russians i heard so much about a year or so ago...seems to have fallen off the planet, don't remember the name, some kind of fps that was situated around a post chernoybl (spl?) disaster or something

12. row

row New Member

i guess that wasn't really a question, anyone familiar with the game or know what happened to it?

13. e v o

e v o New Member

14. BWX

BWX get out and ride

A lot of people put CMR4 physics in the same category as NFS physics.. Arcade.

Best sim? RBR, NR2003, LFS, maybe rFactor when it comes out in a few days. Out of those, RBR.

15. row

row New Member

yea evo that's the one s.t.a.l.k.e.r ......i read glowing reports about the thing in pc gamer a year or so ago, i thought it was gonna be the next big game after hl2, sounds like it might be f.e.a.r. though

16. e v o

e v o New Member

Stalker has been pushed back to 06

Check out Bet on Soldier and Enemy Territory, graphics wise, its up there with FEAR and STALKER

17. row

row New Member

i sure will, thanks!

18. Skyfire

Skyfire New Member

Hmm...best game ever. This is kind of hard, but here it goes...

FPS: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Farcry, Half Life 2, and Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast...Winner is Jedi Outcast

Real Time Strategy: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 wins. Few, if any other games in this field come close. The level of interactivity was great, storyline:great, multiple endings: great, cutscenes with real people actings: great, RIP Westwood, this game, along with Yuri's Revenge were created during Westwoods height, only to be devoured by EA, and to never produce another great game :'(

Simulation: Freespace 2...no questions asked. BEST simulator game I have ever played...so many fond memories, such a good storyline, out of this world graphics for its time...possible pun intended, but still meant in the literal sense :) Not even Freelancer could sever my ties with Freespace 2, and so, I still consider Freespace 2 the best simulation game of all time.

RPG: Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, System Shock 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are tied for best RPG's of all time :) they are both so good I could not decide :D

and finally...for those who have been waiting for it...

BEST ARCADE GAME OF ALL TIME: Tyrian...made by Epic Games...at the time, they werent called that though...they were called Epic Megagames, lol. I'm not joking either. When I was younger, I must have spent at least 300+ hours on this game. It had a HUGE replay value, could be played with 2 people on one computer too...one person takes the mouse, the other takes the keyboard...aka hotseat for those who never heard of it :) so many memories of that game. I havent played it in over 10 years, but I still remember the music, the weapons, the fun :)

And FINALLY, the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!!

THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME IS..........................look below...

sorry...cant decide. just consider it a tie between all those I selected as best game of all time for their specific area, while excluding the FPS genre, which I still feel could use some improvements. Other than that, hats off to the genres that did make my list :) damn I'm picky

19. Skyfire

Skyfire New Member

on a side note, and off topic, anyone like my new computer?

:drool: <------thats what you should be looking like after seeing the specs [​IMG]

20. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Activision's BattleZone, and the Red Oddesy expansion pack.

Realtime Strategy, and FPS combined. Awesome graphics for it's day (1998), and decent online play with a choice of 'Deathmatch' or 'Strategy' rooms.

The followup BZII was a bust and really needed a lot more computer than was available at the time, I just installed BZII on this sytem and it's as smooth as a baby's butt :D

Too bad other game publishers don't come out with games of that type as they are a lot of fun.