Best Mobo and CPu that will go with these bits

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, May 1, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So if I keep my current vid card, PSU, SDD and ram and just upgrade the mobo cpu , does anyone have any recommendations for the very best I could hopefully get

VID card is Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1

Ram is 2x8 Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MH

was hoping Octo core with the cpu ... figure slow and steady for the upgrade I hope to just track down buts on the bay if the card bottlenecks fo a while thats fine

cheers guys :)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

for ddr3... you're looking at a LGA2011 board and cpu specially if you want anything close to 6 cores proper. The only alternative is likely the FX 8370 amd cpu... but imo i wouldn't recommend that move. You'd be better off selling the ddr3 and getting even just a single ddr4 module to pair with a ryzen board and cpu today.

IvanV and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Ok I trust you so any recommendations ..

I have around £450 ...ish can go a little more if I wait till next month

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I don't know about UK, but here they charge you through the nose for any semi-decent CPU for an older platform (and write often previous gen RAM holds its price), so Judas's advice sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

I'll check but I believe MSI has some B450 board that everyone was buying, supposedly great bang for buck. I think it was Tomahawk. Also, the Ryzen 2700X can be found really cheap (and should be a better solution than any DDR3 octacore), although, budget permitting, it would be nice to get a 3000 series model.

5. Mr Cairo

6. Judas

do NOT mix Corsair modules with ryzen, I still can't find a single corsair module that works with a single one of the ryzens i've had to deal with to the point that back in 2017, i did a recall on all the ryzen systems i had built with corsair which luckily were relatively few....

If you want to get ram for ryzen, currently stick with Crucial Ballistix modules, the e-die memory is essentially the best suited for a reliable stable build.

Unless you can get the 1800x for next to nothing, you'd be better suited and likely cheaper to snag a 2700 or 1700 if you really want to stick with cheaper end while maintaining 8 core and 16 threads.

HOWEVER, a current 3600 tends to outperform even a 2700/1800x relatively easily due to the massive improvement in the ryzen architecture. Alternatively if you can find a 1600AF, that's a good stand in for most use cases. Currently 6 cores and 12 threads is the best bang for the buck.

I'd often suggest a AsRock motherboard for ryzen over any other brand, out of my test and experience with all the branded boards, it's simply the easiest, trouble free of them all, and also by far the only one that is almost entirely plug n play with utterly no screwing around.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  7. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

8. Mr Cairo

I respect your opinions mate suggest components with links if you wouldn't mind

9. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Amen. Either that or go for Patriot. They're good with Ryzen.

Corsair just doesn't seem to like Ryzen.

Edit:

Here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g360c7k-my-104-pa.html

And here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...-ddr4-3600-udimm-gaming-memory-my-20g-cr.html

I'd just go for the Patriot, mine are RGB, but I suspect you want function over form.

10. Mr Cairo

11. Calliers

Dude, don't go for G.Skill, unless it says it will work with Ryzen. At least with Patriot and Crucial you -know- they will work.

If you go for G.Skill go for the Trident Z Neo brand, they are specially built for Ryzen, though I fear they may be pricey.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

RipJaws V work fine with Ryzen 3rd gen.

QB

Mr Cairo likes this.
  13. Judas

i've not ran into any g.skill modules that had issues with ryzen..

G.skill, teamgroup, crucial, patriot are generally good.. I'm very much leaning toward the crucial though

Mr Cairo likes this.
  14. Calliers

The only bad thing about my Patriot modules is the RGB just does it's own thing. It just shoots wherever it's dick is pointing pretty much.

15. Mr Cairo

Looking at that your suggesting a 6 core Ryzen 5 but my original one was an 8 core ryzen 7 is there an advantage in taking the one you pointed out?

16. Mr Cairo

Hmmm my Brother in Law has 4 pcs in his lockup one of them has the spec below .... any good ? he wants me to make him an offer I was thinking £300

AMD RYZEN 7 1700
    AMD RX 580
    Gigabyte AM4 A320

17. IvanV

A perfectly nice PC. I have an RX 580 8GB, it works beautifully for me. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, Battlefield 1 single and multiplayer, Crysis 3... at 1080p everything works really nice with pretty much all of the visual effects at their max (perhaps aside from AA).

The CPU should be sweet too. Not the most highly clocked thing out there, but for the most part it should not be an issue. It ought to outperform the FX-4100 handily regardless of the number of cores utilized.

18. Mr Cairo

Sounds great thanks, Am I offering a fair price ? he is my brother in law I dont want to con him ........ too much :)

Calliers likes this.
  19. IvanV

Someone from the UK should better answer that, but it seems ok.

I know that, here, I got my card for 150€ second hand (FWIW, it came from a mining rig, but with half the warranty still left on it) last January and obviously the prices have gone down a bit further since then. The CPU, the lowest I saw it new in the UK was around 150 pounds http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?ProductID=36911&categoryid=731 which sounds about right as I've also seen 2700X at sub 200 pound price points (Amazon.co.uk has them for 189 and pricespy.co.uk seems to have some even better deals. The motherboard is 50 pounds new on Amazon. The board I would guess is perfectly fine as long as you're ok with the limited number of RAM and PCIe slots and I'm assuming that overclocking options are all but nonexistent (the 1700 is not much of an overclocker anyway, so no biggie I suppose).

Assuming that you'd be taking the whole machine and not just the three parts and that it's got 16GB of RAM, it's a decent deal for you and not a bad one for him, but I'd check out the prices at sites where people post ads for their stuff before making an offer. Hopefully he didn't pay it too dearly and doesn't expect to get too close to the original price. :)

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  20. Mr Cairo

His job is house clearances and does quite well from it, he sells me stuff at the minimum he expects to make at auction and im happy with that but computers mess him uo as he does not know how to price them, a 55 inch sony bravia is easy bit he cant be arsed to price each pc component so this is a rarity

Calliers likes this.