Best network typology?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I want good security for all systems on my network but I also want the best performance. I want to be able to share files securely between pc1 and pc 2 also I want to be able to store files/backups on the server. How should I set this up? I often have sensitive data on my pc or network that I won’t want anyone to get a hold of. But yet I want to securely set up an internal network…

I don’t fully trust my router since I only paid $29 for it a year ago and it’s getting quite old (last firmware update was made in 2001).

i'm nopt setting this up now but plan on it soon,

EDIT: also the server mabe used to host games now and then...
    mabe a private ftp server or some time later

2. brc64

brc64 Zeeky H. Bomb

As long as your router does Network Address Translation (and I've never seen a router that doesn't), you'll be relatively safe from hackers. If you're particularly concerned, you could always run a software firewall on whatever machine you're worried about (note, however, that this can make sharing files extremely difficult).

Also, if you plan to host anything on your server and want people on the Internet to see it (such as a website), you will need to enable port forwarding on your router (you need to find out if your router gives you that option).

Other than that, the setup in the picture looks about right.

- Me

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

I can work around my firewalls i'm wodering if i'd just be better to say forget it and just but a new router and just use it...

i just don't feel safe with a router last updated in 2001 alot has chaged since then... secrity wise and so forth

4. craig588

craig588 Banned

why would you need a router if you have a computer to do the routing? You could just use that win2k3/linux box as the router.

5. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

if u use the Server as a router it is not as safe as a router and a server. best bet is to keep the router. security is always the #1 concern. With the routers firewall and the Servers firewall u have maximum security.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

In that pic you have PC1 and PC2 running off the server which would not be necessary if you had a router with more than one port. They should all be able to run off the router and probably would be faster. ALso regular NAT routers help a little but they far from a true hardware firewall router. People have gone through my PC numerous times when I was running a plain NAT router(Netgear RP614)...I was forced to upgrade. Now on the new router even if I have ports open all tests show me as 'safe'; No more coming home to find my PC tampered with from some punk. I say spend the extra $$ and get a good router.
    Also always check the cpu used in the router-never thought about this myself before- but it makes a HUGE difference if multiple PCs use the web at the same time

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

what i have router wise is a speedstream 2604 by seimens 4 port with printer port