Best new CPU Vote!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Jun 27, 2006.

?

Best CPU

1. AMD - X2 - on the AM2 socket

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Intel Conroe

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

2. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Core 2 Duo E6600.

3. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Aw come on, this is just stupid... Untill the new AMD comes out (not just a change in socket type) you can't ask which "NEW" cpu will be better. The AM2 X2 is just a slightly faster 939 X2...

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

lowfat yea I was eyeing the Core 2 Duo E6600 too...
    but what I'm looking for realy is conroe really better?
    or just bring intel more comperable to X2!

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I think it's more like: based on what you've heard and read about each CPU, which one do you think is or will be better?

Personally I like what Intel has done with the Core 2 Duo. Less data pathways, smaller die, uses less power, generates less heat, and is just plain and simpley fast.

The real topper for me was THIS article on Hexus.net that compared the Conroe E6600, the E6700, and the FX-62 AM2 (along with an Pentium D 965, and FX-60).

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Conroe!!! wooohoo :p

seriously the 6600 looks awesome, faster then FX62, low watt usage, dual core aso, can be clocked, lower price and doesn't need extremely expensive ddr2 ram to run proberly.

7. hackerx

hackerx Banned

conroe-core 2 duo.Its gonna rock.And i guess its about time intel took the performance crown.
    I got an eye on the e6600 and the e6400.
    If the price difference ebtween the 2 is large,i'll get the 6400 and oc it to make up for the cache difference.

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

if i were you i'd substitute the extra money that you've planned for an extra cooler for you O/C with the more internal cache CPU ones for now.
    then O/C this one too but later, maybe at after you have some more extra money for a better cooler.

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

the E6600 is suppose to be ~$310US for 1000 units. So retail $330-350ish id say.

10. Alien1

Alien1 Banned

These is not another thread about
    "LOOK how large my E-pen0s will be"

I am starting to really getting sick with these type of threads floating around forums by some persons....

If i say just do not buy nothing and stay with your current system would you listen ??
    I guess not...

Really??
    And for how long if i ask ??

Until AMD K8L and Quad core technology arrives already next year

Whatever you buy right now it's already going to be surpassed and going to be OLD technology in some months by now

What are you going to do then ??
    Give money for a new processor and probably for a new system again ?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

if your gonna look like that, you can never buy a new system, cos the minute you walk out of the door of the store, its 'old'.

12. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

AM2 has so much more potential in it... you wait and see :D

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

Well dude those who don't like to run on old and far out dated systems. I upgrade
    for about 1/2 to 1/8th of what those who wait so long will pay. I sell my hardware
    while its worth something decent. Then reinvest that capitol in my upgrade funding.

There is an upgrade curve fal behind and you pay more and have to upgrade more
    stuff. As well as Why would I want to run outdated stuff? If I died tomrrow I like to
    know I did thate best I could today.Why settle for les when the best whn you don't
    have to.? I don't buy the very top end were the [ricein is insane but I buy wre the P/P matches up.

14. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Honestly Neon, does it make any difference how fast your system is when you're dead? :rolleyes:

Huh? What makes your current system "outdated?"

15. hackerx

hackerx Banned

@alien1-don't be such a wet blanket.K8l aint gonna come out for another year,so i might as well enjoy those core 2 duos for that much.And even when it comes out,i couldn't care less,cause the conroe will still keep my system ticking.Only thing different would probably be the mobo/ram and the gfx card(it'll be dx10)

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

Becouse will will have enjoyed my PC to the fullest VS hassling with old hardware.
    I spend a good 40-120 + hours a week on my PC. If it where slow or problematic
    that would suck.... I'd rather go ewing and aweing at what I experianced vs raveing
    over the POS.

Like my grandparent on my parts side who are muilti millionares yet live like popers
    (poor) they never really enjoyed haveing that money. You can';t have you cake and
    eat it to. They will live out thier days and the money will be passed on but they
    never really had or enjoyed life as they could of. It a waste really...

My systems probubly better then probubly like 80% of what most people have.
    Suely many would love to have this.... But when it comes to outdated It not that
    bad and I don't let it... I upgraded a few months ago and have been running other
    then that it ben awhile since my last magor upgrade mobo / cpu.

17. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Looks like the Intel Core 2 until next year, at least - but let's get more and cheaper chipsets/mainboards - and they're coming...

18. hackerx

hackerx Banned

@cowboy-life isn't all about computers.But u are right.If u have the money and are planning on buying something.Buy something thats good and worth the coin.Don't cheap out for an uncertain future.

19. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Intel for me...

Alien1, if you are sick of people talking about what to upgrade to, then we are sick of people who say
    So? It's the classic argument, of course whatever you get will be outdated. Like Noen said, if you decide to upgrade frequently at least you can get some return ($$$) on your hardware. If you wait to long you won't be able to sell your current rig for much. If you have money to burn, do it!

I like what i read about Intel, so that might be my upgrade path, also i'll wait for DX10. My current system is still going strong, if it wasn't for new games, i would keep it alot longer as it can manage apps and everyday use pretty good.

Sure our lives are not all about computers, but like any other hobby you put time, energy and money into it... enjoy it.

20. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

I won't vote until I see the cpus in circulation and have a chance to watch their performance in the field. Intel has a rep of overhyping their performance, having production/supply problems, and being trumped by AMD at the finish line. That said, I think they've really pulled up their socks on dual core -- I just want to see the proof.

Besides, 48% discounts on X2 processors mean I'm upgrading from a 3000+ to a 4600+ X2 within the same rig for minimal cost. My upgrade path is fairly straight forward at this point. :)