Best SSD and RAM for my new laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Calliers, May 12, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

So first thing I wanna do when I get my new lappy is slap in another 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz stick and get a 2TB NVMe SSD. (I also did check and yes it has a DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM inside already)

The specs of my laptop are as follows:

• GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6
    • Intel Core i5 9th Gen 9300H (2.40 GHz) Quad-core Processor
    • 8 GB DDR4 2666MHz
    • 512 GB NVMe SSD
    • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS-Level 120 Hz Thin Bezel
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    • Gigabit LAN and WLAN
    • Bluetooth 5.0
    • 720p HD Webcam
    • 180-watt AC adapter
    • 3-cell (51 Whr) Li-Polymer
    What do you guys think of this stick of RAM off of newegg.ca?

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Laptop Memory Model F4-2666C19S-8GRS

[​IMG]

And this NVMe SSD off of amazon.ca:

XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-2TT-C)

[​IMG]

Any other things you'd add? I also need a mouse and I'm eyeing this one off of newegg.ca:

Siege M04 Precision Gaming Mouse with RGB Lighting, PixArt PMW3360 Sensor, 12000 DPI

[​IMG]

Or this Logitech going for a great price over at amazon.ca, if the sale of the Creative one ends since it has a braided cable, better DPI, among other things:

Logitech G203 Prodigy Wired Gaming Mouse, Black (910-004842):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not that much in the loop, but the RAM looks fine (right timings and all) and the SSD seems to be a great choice. Dumb question: Have you checked to see if the laptop currently has 1x8GB and not 2x4 (either in some detailed specs or CPU-Z)? It's almost certainly 1x8, but I couldn't find the definitive answer. I looked at a few RAM upgrade videos for that model and one had 1x8GB, another had 2x8GB and the third one had 2 modules of undisclosed capacity.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Will check when I get the laptop in the next 2 or so days.

Also, if it has 1x8GB, do I have to change the other stick to match with the Ripjaws one so they are the same brand?

4. IvanV

With RAM, there's always a chance for some gremlins (I guess that's why we still have QVLs), but from my experience, mixing different brands is perfectly fine.

It's important to match the voltage, but I think that 1.2V is pretty universal for DDR4. With DDR3 there was DDR3L, the low voltage variant, and RAM makers had almost identical products that differed on the voltage, but AFAIK, there is no DDR4L. Also important is to match the specs (speed and latencies) as closely as possible, and from the specs I was able to find, you've done that too (although in theory, even if the timings didn't match, the motherboard should set them by the specs of the slower stick).

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Ok, I'm going to space out the purchases because I've already broken the bank on buying the laptop, at the end of the month I'll start by getting the RAM. Then end of next month the mouse, then the next the SSD finally.

I am really hoping they didn't put 2x4GB sticks in there. That will drive up the cost of me getting new RAM by another 50 bucks.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

why that laptop?

The Ryzen 4500u or even 4700u laptops are arriving.

Also IvanV.... QVL is entirely useless.... there are often memory on QVL lists that are nutorious for causing grief.. all the QVL is good for is to just show that the system posts... doesn't actually mean anything more.

7. Calliers

Well it'll be a console replacement of sorts so basically going to play in 1080p on my TV screen most of the time (with a gamepad). Mostly games that are not power hungry.

And not about to wait.

8. Calliers

9. Calliers

Just finished running MemTest64 for a while on the new memory, everything is a-ok. Also instead of going with a new SSD, slapped the HP EX920 1TB I had in it, installed the latest version of HD Sentinel and it said that everything was good this time around, I had read somewhere that it can slip up at times with newer model m.2 SSDs and it's always important to have the latest version installed whenever you get a new SSD that is m.2 form factor. So I am definitely a happy camper right now. I really like the layout of the internals of my laptop, I didn't have to do too much disassembly like I would have other MSI models that came prior to this one. Everything was sort of just...there.

Edit: In a way when I was done I was like "That's it? Well that was easy!" in another way I was like "Awwww, I wanted to do more....stuff!". :D

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    IvanV likes this.
  10. IvanV

I know, building a PC is so satisfying!

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

I'm currently getting a lot of use out of my laptop, it's nice for a) gaming using the TV with a game pad via HDMI b) lounging about c) using on other flat surfaces like the dining table for example when I get tired of being at my main rig in my room.

I just love it. Before I got this MSI lappy I wasn't a big fan of MSI for gaming laptops, but this thing is changing my perception of them. Funny that the "MSI" on it is just a slight indentation kinda like even MSI wants people who see you using it to kind of assume you're using something a lot more expensive, either that or they are embarrassed of it lol, but it is a sweet laptop. Definitely much recommended.

And the good thing is once this whole Covid thing blows over I'll have a nice laptop to lug about with me, my other one was super thick compared to this one, and it's safe to say I'll probably never use it again, unless both my current machines go down (knock on wood).