best way to optimize your processor!!! free!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Kalisto, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Ran it 3 more times and rebooted after each.

Doesnt really seemed to have made much difference. One thing to note though. I only have a p4 2.4b withouth hyperthreading so that may be why my details are not that much different.

2. Murdock

Murdock New Member

Somebody know a link for Intel prosesors updates from win 2003 ?

Thanks in advanced

3. Huigie

Huigie New Member

Windows asks for a .inf file and the driver file is a .sys file. How do you install this driver?

4. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal MC John-117

Been running the Windows Server 2003 processr.sys for over a week now. Can't tell any difference at all.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  5. Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor New Member

Ditto the AMD one

6. RDoggy

RDoggy New Member

Could someone post a link for the Athlon xp driver?

7. TheBloody

TheBloody New Member

Tested the thread included pentium sys

Maybe I am wrong but :
    These processor.sys file is made for an server system, most guys here looked to get better fps or benches.
    But thats totally wrong, I think. A server is in need of managing files, handles, threads and great amount of data (Databases etc.) and so there "just" will be a improvment in this direction.

I tried out the p4 processor.sys (inside this thread) and got a noticeable speed up of O&O Defrag.

Maybe programs working with big data, like Flash, Photoshop, 3d Max and other applications will get a benefit too.
    But games shouldnt get a such big favor out of this.

-

Thx a lot for offering the sys file :) - GJ

8. SJae

SJae Banned

The improvement in score is less than 1%--it's closer to 0.5%. That would make it fall within the margin of error.

I highly doubt that changing the CPU driver will have a noticeable impact on performance outside of synthetic benchmarks.

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i'm gunna test them on my xeon tonight and we'll see how it goes

10. Virus

Virus New Member

So, does it change something? I didn’t noticed anything :confused:

11. fiftyone

fiftyone Teh ruel of u.

Hey TheBloody, I use ALL of those apps you mentioned and want to try this out. Can you give me detailed instructions of how to install this .sys file or go about it or whatever? Much appreciated bud.

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  12. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

UPDATE: the new processor didn't do jack crap to my games or anything..but it does work better for defragging and rendering video(minimal gain...but i would say it chopped off a couple seconds rendering and maybe 1-2 minutes on defragging a 320gig RAID 0 array)

13. TheBloody

TheBloody New Member

@fiftyone
    Make a backup of the old one which is included in the windows dir by copying it and overwrite the old sys file and restart. Done ;)

14. fiftyone

fiftyone Teh ruel of u.

hmm while that worked ok it seems that either the one in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab or the other extra one in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab are somehow overwriting after I overwrite. Like I overwrite with the new one and in about 10 seconds or so it changes back to the old version...any getting around this???

15. TheBloody

TheBloody New Member

THE ultimage guide patching your processor file

Problem is :
    Windows replaces the newer sys file of from his "<windir>\system32\dllcache\" when rebooting the system.
    So thats why longhorns file in "<windir>\system32\drivers" will be overwritten.

Temporary install -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (until sysrepair or windows update maybe)

To get this around copy the newer version into the Dlllcache-Dir AND then into the Drivers folder.

After rebooting u have the longhorn file in use :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent install -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For permanently involving of the longhorn file into the system go this way:

1. Google for CABPack 1.3 (english and german avaible, download and extract on your desktop)
    2. Get a cab unpacker like WinRar version shouldn matter
    3. Get the fitting sys for your processor in this thread (download on desktop)

Open your windows dir (if prompted, tell to show files ;) ) - there go up to <actuallywindir>\DriverCache and next into the i386 folder.
    In this folder there are acutally 2 CAB files : "driver.cab" and "sp1.cab" (on installed sp1)

Copy these both guys on your desktop (dont move, copy) - rename the two ones in the i386 dir like "driverOLD.cab" and "sp1OLD.cab".
    Extract each of the copied cab files from your desktop in a new folder on your dekstop (names dont matter).
    Delete the cabfiles from your desktop.

Overwrite the older processor.sys of BOTH newly created dirs with the one of your desktop.
    On my p4 overwritten the 32,5 kb sys with the NEWER 30,5 kb file.

Start CABPack. Leave every option like there acutally value is, except the dirs locations.
    The source dir file should prompt like : "...\Desktop\<unpackedSp1CabDir>"
    For destination prompt your desktop dir.
    Use "SP1.cab" in "CabinetNameTemplate".
    Press "OK" to start packing, which take some time.

After packing the program asks to exit but "no" that and leave it open.
    Now prompt (source dir) your "...\Desktop\<unpackedDrivercabDir>", destination use still the desktop and name the "CaninetNameTemplate" now "Driver.cab" - Start by clicking on "OK".
    This will realy take time.

After finished packing the both, close CABPack and copy the newly created cab files (Sp1.cab and Driver.cab) into "<actuallywindir>\DriverCache\i386\" .

If u dont already have overwritten the sys files in "<windir>\system32\dllcache" and "<windir>\system32\drivers\" do this now.
    You can delete the used dir of your desktop and the .sys file now.

Now reboot and all is done, the files are permanently inserted into windows and his drivers and service pack files.

But be awared ! - Im not yet have tested the sys repair - so there IS NO guaranty that your system can repair itself.
    If you notice that there is a problem, use the older cabs by deleting the newly created ones and renaming the old ones to there original name.

If u notice read errors of the sys repair try to repack the newer cab files with CabPack and packing with "MSZip" and not "LZX" !

16. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Why? you guys know thier file only afftects like dded power features as used on laptops only right?

yea but copy pu in in the folder with the windows flie protection files then try to replace it
    I made a batcgh script for it til i learned it makes little differance unless mabe your useing a laptop

17. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

Umm I'm using XP and I don't have a Windows/system32/dllcache directory. Where would I put this thing to keep if from overwriting the file? And yes show hidden files and folders is checked. :confused:

18. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ New Member

got it show protected OS files needed to be checked.

19. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

the 'dllcache' is hidden folder
    change the Folder Options to "Show hidden files and folders"

to open the folder just type dllcache in the Run box... and click OK

--------------------

edit-- oh i just saw you got it, took too long to type..

BTW i never try this system file replacements yet, not sure how this works..

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  20. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

We need benchies ppl.... Would like to see what is the go here!