Bezel Beware.

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by craig5320, Jan 17, 2013.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

PCs made in that case will be completely silent until you put something noisy in them. Like any modern graphics card at idle. Then you'll be able to hear it.

2. Raptor4790

Raptor4790 New Member

Hmmmmm. That's a bit misleading, isn't it!
    As soon as someone like ASUS, Samsung or Apple bring out a decent quality edge-to-edge display, I'm going to stack three of them up!

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It's always good to see a monitor in action before buying it. I've been putting this off as well until there are ones out there with really thin bezels. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

As someone who has been using a 3x1 Eyefinity setup for a couple of years now, I can honestly tell you that the bezels have become a moot point for me. I never notice them anymore and I play any game possible with 3x1 Eyefinity.

The main thing you have to be aware of is that the ACTION in the game is on the CENTER screen. The side screens are simply peripheral vision.

I do use the Bezel Compensation as, for me, it avoids breaking up the continuity of the image and is more "natural". Think of driving your automobile: The center screen is your windshield and the side screens are your driver and passenger windows. Do you ever make a big issue out of the window and door posts on each side of the windshield? Maybe only occasionally, but, in just about every case you simply get accustomed to the view and simply ignore...or completely forget...that those posts are there.

That's how gaming is on a 3X1 Eyefinity setup.

I'm presently playing through Far Cry 3 and playing it on this system is amazing!

I realize I haven't addressed the fallacy of phony bezel claims, but, to me, the bezels simply aren't an issue.

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Yeah the peripheral view factor is certainly true. Makes it cool if some game, like especially a demanding shooter, could run at much lower detail in the side screens than on the main one. Since there's little actual use for having full detail where you aren't really looking 99% of the time, the bigger the screens the more truth to that. But that might be something for a future version of DirectX or so I guess, and development there is moving slowly nowadays.

Edit: I would also like to see more games catering for a two-screen setup, like where you have one center screen with the second one showing only stuff like maps, inventory or other information. A few DX10 games when DX10 was new had that, but since it's been all about "surround gaming" with little customisation.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah mkk... dual monitor situations would be a big handy benefit... An offhand screen... best for RST and the like...

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Did you mean RTS?

8. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Like Dyre, for me the bezels in a 3x1 Eyefinity setup became ignored much like the pillar between the front windshield and side window in a car while driving.

And yes, technically, the focused portion of everyone's eyesight is a very narrow cone.

The bezels in a 2x1 Eyefinity setup are VERY bothersome. I can't believe I was dumb enough to try that. It did work though...

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I've never tried it but I do agree that a 2x1 Eyefinity setup wouldn't be ideal.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Yeah, when Eyefinity first came out I already had 2 monitors to try it out on. That little experience didn't last very long at all! LOL!

With all the action centered between the two monitors at the bezel, what a headache!

mkk wrote:
    While it's not a 2 screen Eyefinity setup, I do like how Star Trek Online is allowing such drastic user customization of the HUD. I can, in fact, move anything I want to off the main center screen and over to the left or right side and completely out of the way of my main action. What I usually leave on the center screen is all the controls for combat and my Bridge Officer assignments. With the way they have it set up, I wonder if it could actually be utilized on a simple Extended Desktop setting. I'm not sure, but someone may want to check that out.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

WoW used to allow something similar (presumably still does). Dual-screen can also be handy in some RTS games and sims.

12. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

On the noise issue and having a system that sounds impressive to people. When I used the external Vapochill system it used to shake a solid wood desk when turning on... then sounds like something taking off. It was a nightmare but it was cool and impressive to others :D

(As was the little LED screen that would tick down from 20c to -20c or so)

13. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

It would be my impression that LG just didn't think before sending this through marketing that the "fraudulent" representation of the displays would be any problem. Technically, the bezel is considered to be the external ring around the periphery of the display and that alone is what has been specified - so technically not a fib. However...

The reality is that a large portion of people - anyone buying online - has nothing but photos to judge what the monitor looks like for real. Online buyers NEED that honest information. Further, a large majority of us who influence buying decisions or actually buy these better than average displays buy them online.

Come on LG, get real with your intended market audience. The monitors look nice - no need to mislead. LG has come a long way marketing and selling quality electronics worldwide over the last 30 years - no need to taint reputation with apparent falsehood.

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

sorry my fingers have intel's Rapid Storage Technology still memorised and implanted....