Bf2 issue

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by SuperVisor, Feb 12, 2006.

1. SuperVisor

SuperVisor New Member

Guys and gals I'm having a problem with my bf2 it keeps crashing back to the desktop. I just got a lcd and had a crt but now my game keeps crashing I searched and cannot find solution to fixing it. It running in Dvi-d

2. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

sounds like the same problem i had yesterday. real easy fix.

go to my documents/Battlefield2/profiles

in profiles you should see two folders, 0001 and defualt. open both of the folders and find the video file in both folders, right click on it and choose open with notepad.

find this "VideoSettings.setResolution" and set it to a supported resolution on your monitor.

for example, this is what mine is VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@60Hz

the problem was that you most likely had a refresh rate set much higher on your old CRT. for me, i had it set at 90hz, but the new LCD supports 75hz at 1024x768. every time the game was starterd, it was trying to set its self to a resolution that wasnt supported by the monitor, so it kept crashing to the desktop.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

This is actually kind of a common problem. BF2 is trying to graphics settings that are different than your current setup. Specifially, resolution and monitor frequency.

If you are using Windows XP go into your My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles folder. In there you will see at least 2 folders: 0001 and Default. The 0001 folder is the one created when you first made a new user. You can delete that if you want, but you will need to redo all your control settings. Instead, first open up that 0001 folder, and delete the file called "video.con". Then, restart the game. This will have the effect of making the game redo the video settings.

Now, you can also edit that file with notepad, and change the line that reads "VideoSettings.setResolution". At the moment it might say something like "VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@75Hz", or some resolution that is not supported by your monitor. You can change it to read "VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz". This is a BF2s lowest supported resolution, and should be supported by your new monitor too. Then it's just a matter of resetting your video settings.

Edit: just noticed that Dark Lord posted ahead of me.. [​IMG]

4. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

hah, was just gonna say you should look up one post.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I was double checking about the video.con. Been a while since I've fooled around with those settings, and I just wanted to make sure before I posted anything.

Good thing is that we both had the same advice.

6. SuperVisor

SuperVisor New Member

Thanks for all your help it working again.