BIOSHOCK - The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Since I had never gotten around to playing the BIOSHOCK series...and with the purchase of my HD7970 granting me a free key to BIOSHOCK-Infinite...I decided I'd best get caught up with the series.

So, with Steam having the original available for $20 USD, I went ahead and got it.

I've had a good time of it up until now. I've hit a game-stopper, it appears, trying to destroy some debris before being able to confront the doctor. After killing off the Nitro guys throwing the bombs at me, I discovered, too late, that I was supposed to have been "catching" them with Telekinesis and throwing them at the debris. Now that they're all dead, there are no grenades to be found. I've even tried to pull some from beyond the debris and search for grenades. Nada!

I'm on the PC version. Is it best if I just start from a prior save or does anyone know of another method of moving that debris? (Why is my Telekinesis power powerful enough to pull these guys' bodies off the balcony, but not enough to budge some debris at a door entrance?! Kinda lame, if you ask me.)

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

It's been a long time since I last played bioshock...

But im pretty sure I had that issue before and had to restart from a previous save... If I am thinking of the correct place you only need to catch a grenade and send it direct to the rubble blocking the doorway.

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Don't think there is another way. Just maybe if you manage to get killed somwhow, the grenade thrower would also respawn since he's vital to progressing the level.

4. Dyre Straits

Thanks! I finally quit trying to find another way and just started from a previous save. It was only about 5-7 min prior to this point.

I just really, really hate when this kind of glitch develops in a game. Takes the immersion completely out of it.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Sounds like a design flaw, but, generally speaking, I sometimes find the fact that you can't irreparably screw up in a game equally immersion breaking.

You'll probably forget all about the incident after a bit more playing. :)

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

well if they put more forthought into the develop of them game so it didn't have to rely on you magically knowing what to do.....

I hate these games that just assume that among all the rubble you come across in a game.... they throw a bunch of bomb tossing dudes at you and magically are supposed to know that oh hey, throw it AT that specific rubble there...

Then they don't build in any relatively "simple" backup solutions like lets say, hey if the guy didn't happen to toss the bombs that way, maybe we should have it setup so that you have to find an alternative path or a longer drawn out method of getting through the door.

OLD games, many of them with the option for progression, even knew that if you can think of reasonable ways to ensure that there is sometimes 3 ways to attack a block in progression... do it

7. Dyre Straits

Pretty much sums it up for me!

The Hint system in this game is such that, "If you get stuck..." and by the time the player gets stuck here, it's too late. There were even some Grenade crates lying around and NOTHING in them!

I have one other gripe [so far] about the game: The Subtitle system is crap! When there is any dialogue...regardless of whether it's your secret advisor, a recording, or any other voice message, if the captions have to go to a 2nd part...due to something like a 3-line limitation...the 2nd half of that pops up for about 1 second! Although the party continues talking, it does me not one bit of good due to my deafness. And, it's impossible to read 2-3 lines of text in a split second. This happens consistently.

Maybe someone knows of an .ini setting that can slow that down?

8. Dyre Straits

This game is starting to get very "dull". As in, I almost fall asleep playing it. Why?

OK, I'm supposed to be locating some Little Sisters. On one level it tells me there is one still available. On another level there are supposed to be two. But, over the past two sessions...covering about 4 HOURS of game play, I've not had any of them "show up". I understand that these "Rosie" characters are supposed to be culling them from a device. They are walking around and pounding the walls down and .... NOTHING!

Is it a glitch?

BUT, if I try to take a trip to the next level, it tells me I would have a very, very difficult time if I don't get more ADAM....which can only be gotten from the Little Sisters.

Seems this game is very "buggy"....with some poor design thrown in.

9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Don't remember much about that part except there might well be a bug preventing one from finding all of the little sisters. But one more should be possible to find if it warns you to go ahead. Or if you've chosen to save all the sisters so far rather than harvest some of them then it might be kinda normal as saving them gets you less ADAM in the short term.

I'm almost done with Bioshock Infinite, and if there's one thing I miss from the original it's the difficulty. Even on Hard the fights have been too easy and repetitive, even if it's still an enjoyable game. The original keeps you on your toesies.

10. Dyre Straits

I only rescued the first LitSis I encountered and have harvested the others.

What I may need to do at this point is go to the level where there are 2 remaining and see what happens. That's my plan so far.

11. Dyre Straits

This game is becoming one of the most boring monotonous games I've ever played.

I've either broken the game or the game is just inherently bugged. After a 4th session of more than an hour each time, the Rosie's aren't pulling any Lil Sisters out of the holes in the wall. They go about from one to the other and never succeed in getting any.

I then went to the sphere and it won't let me select the next location because, according to the warning in the game, I haven't collected enough ADAM to be able to succeed at the next level. And, with no Lil Sisters to harvest, there's no ADAM to acquire.

12. Dyre Straits

I was finally able to make it past this area and have now reached the Central Control.

The game is finally picking up and becoming interesting again.

13. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

Wouldn't want to spoil anything for you, Dyre... :)

Just wanted to say that that game is one of the best by story and look&feel that I have ever played, and best that I've played in general.. the ending in particular gave me some things to think about.

14. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

Bioshock had me when one of the characters said "see you floating" at the start.What a great game.