Bit-to-bit recording of Vienna Soundfont Studio output

Discussion in 'SoundFonts and MIDI' started by rantoine, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rantoine

rantoine New Member

Bit-to-bit recording of Vienna Soundfont Studio output NEED HELP !!!

Hello everybody,

I created a SF2 of a bass sound using Vienna Soundfont Studio. It is made up of multiple samples spread out on several keymaps and velocity ranges. I had to play with the Cutoff Filter and Attenuation settings very carefully to get the exact tone and feeling that I wanted. The result is very satisfactory.

I thought I could then load the SF2 file into any VSTi soundfont player to enjoy my bass sound with any VST host, but it seems it won't be that simple...

[PLEASE READ ALL NEXT FOUR POSTS. I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT THE FORUM WON'T LET ME PUT MY WHOLE TEXT IN THE SAME POST]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. rantoine

rantoine New Member

The problem is that there is no VSTi soundfont player that will do justice to the fine tweaking of my SF2 like Vienna software does. My bass simply does not sound the same, maily because the filters on third party softwares are different from that of Vienna. So, my idea is to play my bass sound with Vienna and record the output with another software to get processed (Cutoff filtered) samples. Then, I will be able to use the new samples to build again my bass sound with Kontakt or any other sampler and preserve the exact qualities of the sound from Vienna.

As you can imagine, I would like to get lossless samples...

3. rantoine

rantoine New Member

I read the "Direct Recording Guide" here:

kX Project -- Direct Recording Guide

Fortunately, I have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card so bit-to-bit recording will be possible.

My main concern is about the sampling rate:

"Note that SPDIF inputs can transmit the signal at any sampling rate (44100, 48000, 96000 etc...), so, it is up to user to choose the correct sampling rate in his/her audio application."

4. rantoine

rantoine New Member

My question is : What's the sampling rate of Vienna's ouput ? My first guess was that it should be the same as that of the samples in the SF2 that is being played. But since the samples are processed through the cutoff filter, the sampling rate of
    the output probably depends on the specifications of Vienna.

"The kX driver won't try to autodetect the sampling rate."

Ok, but is there any software out there that will detect the sampling rate of the audio S/PDIF stream that is being heard on a PC ? If not, does anybody know the sampling rate of the output of Vienna Soundfont Studio ? Does this sampling rate depends on the specs of the samples in the SF2 ???

5. rantoine

rantoine New Member

If you have any useful information, please share them here. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who needs to record lossless output of Vienna ! ;-)

Thanks for your help !

P.-S.: Please note that my SF2 is made up of both 48kHz/24-Bit AND 44.1kHz/24-Bit samples.

6. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: Bit-to-bit recording of Vienna Soundfont Studio output

>My question is : What's the sampling rate of Vienna's ouput ?

>bit-to-bit recording

Actually, ordinal/plain/conventional recording of "MIDI" (just enable it in the recording pages of the mixer) is a *bit-to-bit* recording of the on-board SF synth output (*including* the Vienna "output")

----
    edit: and "Direct Recording" (which is a direct recording of spdif inputs) has nothing to do with this at all

7. rantoine

rantoine New Member

Thanks !

I did not think it could be that simple...

8. Emu10000X

Emu10000X New Member

Actually, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Vienna is not exactly what your hearing, that is the Emu10kx chip that you are hearing. The filters and things are in the chip. The Vienna is just sending commands to the chip. So yeah recording them live is the only way to go.

And I agree, I have compared many vst SF players to the EMU10kx and none comes close. One thing that I find is that they all seem to sound more dull in not only the sound but apparently the first few samples of the files(within the samples themselves), and this is why I am on such a roller-coaster of a witch hunt to find a working solution to using the Hardware wavetable(EMU10kx) like a conventional sampler.

9. rantoine

rantoine New Member

Man,

You are absolutly right !

I realized that when you record through "Synth" or "What You Hear", you don't get the sound from the output of the card. I tried that with Vienna and the recording does not sound as good. To get Bit-to-bit recording, I think I'll have to use TWO COMPUTERS. I'll take the optical Output of my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook and I will send it to the optical Input of an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum of a desktop PC and proceed to the recording with an audio application using the correct sampling rate of the signal. I'm just scared that I might have synchronization issues...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

Îòâåò: Bit-to-bit recording of Vienna Soundfont Studio output

well, i can only repeat what i wrote above.