Blackouts Generals and Green Snow?!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Fester_Silently, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Fester_Silently

Fester_Silently New Member

(Apologies in advance: if this has been posted/discussed elsewhere, *I* couldn't find it)

So, I just got my shpancktity new BFG 6800GT and *boy* am I lovin' it! Of course I whipped on a clean install and slapped all the latest drivers/BIOS etc. in there. I then dragged out EVERY friggin' game I own (and some I *don't*!) and reveled in the glory of my newfound GPU and video RAM.

However.

Upon throwing in one of my staple "fallback" games, "Generals: Zero Hour", I came across two problems that are annoying the living PISS outta me. The first, and more game-killing of the two, is one I saw back on my 9700Pro with the original build of "Generals": when Anti-Aliasing (which I PAID for) is *on*, the game screen, seemingly sporadically, will go black. And not always COMPLETELY black, mind you - oft-times the blackness presents itself to my eyes in a fetching patchwork or coy striped pattern.

Lovely.

The other, less deadly video issue comes in the form of...well, how can I state this delicately...erm - GREEN snow. Now, I know what the yellow snow is all about, but I ain't never stumbled into any *green* snow in my lifetime! And this is ALL the time, on ANY map with snow in it...regardless of the status of my Anti-Aliasing/Anisotropic video settings.

I'm using the latest official Nvidia drivers from Guru3d/Nvidia's FTP site, the "66.81"s. In the past ten days (since owning the video card) I've tried, and enjoyed, all of the following driver sets, also from Guru/Nvidia FTP: 61.77; 65.73; 66.31. All are WHQL, all worked like a dream...except for these consistent problems in "Generals".

Help. :mad:

2. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

ooo...sounds like one b!tch of a problem....maybe something is corrupted in your generals install? i had a problem kind of like this in UT2k4...i would try that...but otherwise, i have no clue. sorry :(

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

make sure you patch generals, and then generals:zero hour.

4. Fester_Silently

Nope. Sorry Guys...

This is after having done a clean install of Windows for each new driver set I'd tried out...therefore, it was a clean (& patched) install of Generals every time, as well. It's a driver/engine issue, for sure - I just thought there might be a work around. :(

5. Nacht

Nacht ein Krieger

that's unfortunate...have you heard of any others having the same problem? because i was thinking about re-installing it again, but not now i guess...

6. Fester_Silently

Well...

If you can get past the green snow ('s okay, I suppose) and you don't mind not having your AA on (I *do* mind that) - the game runs like a dream - smmoth frames and everything looks gorgeous. It's a wonderful game...don't be dissuaded from playing again just 'cause o' li'l ol' me! ;)

7. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

This only happens in Generals or in all games?

It sounds more like a heat issue to me ro possibly a problem with the memory on the card. In which case you are going to have to RMA it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  8. Schtopper

Schtopper New Member

Strange i've played generals since i got my 6800 and i've never suffered blackouts or green snow, which leads me to believe it probably isn't a driver issue. I will try it tonight with the 66.81s and report back what i find, if i get green snow i'll try and remember which drivers i was using that didn't.

9. Fester_Silently

Re: Logla

No, man - *just* in "Generals". And, as far as the heat issue goes: Umm...no. Lookit *my* video card temps (above) - and then remember that average idle/load temps for the stock-cooled 6800GT's are 60/80.

But, to answer your question..yah - the fans are spinning, heatsink's on securely and I even went so far (the day I brought it home) as to take the stock crap off and put some Artic Silver 5 on her.

Schtopper: I *did* turn the digital vibrance up a wee bit, along with the Image Quality (it's full-on now)('cause, yah - I *do* notice the image quality difference between ATI and Nvidia)...I wonder if *that* could have turned my snow green? Might you check? I'm at school/work and won't be back home till late tonight - thanks in advance.

Fester.

10. Schtopper

Schtopper New Member

Ok i've tried various different variations of quality and Digital Vibrance settings and everything looked fine. However on one occasion for no apparant reason i DID indeed get green snow but it happened only once and i was unable to replicate it. Having said that i have to agree it IS likely to be a driver issue but clearly down to some other variable too. When i have more time i'll try different driver configurations and try to either A: find a decent driver solution that works or B: find out exactly what causes it to occur.

I will say however that during all my testing i never once experienced any problems with the 'game' screen. I have AA set to 4x and i let it run through the little intro battle of couple of times and everything was fine so i think this may be due to something else. I'm guessing that mainly due to the fact that i also used to have a 9700Pro before this 6800GT and i never experienced the blackouts then either (it used ot be my favourite game so it got played quite a lot).

11. Fester_Silently

Schtopper

The "blackout" (complete; checkered; striped and buggered) was something I couldn't pin down to a specific instance, but it *did* happen to both me and my friend when we LANned up the other day...we both have identitcal memory/vid cards/PSU's, etc. The only difference is that he's got an Athlon FX 53 on an Asus A8V. I'd *like* to say that it occurred when there were lots of things (going on) on the game screen, but, honestly, I'm not sure that was ALWAYS the case. Feh. Also, this was something that happened waaaay back in the day when the game first came out and we were both running 9700Pros. Once again, feh.

Insofar as the "green snow" goes, I'm thinking that it was only on twilight snow maps...*not* midday snow; *not* full-night snow maps. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

I dunno - I'm still at work (in the computer department of my college's library) and I'll be here for at least another hour...honestly, neither of these things are gonna kill me (well, *maybe* the AA vs. Blackouts), but, as you said...it is a bad-ass game and one of my favorites, ya know?

Feh. Umm...I mean, *Fester* :hmm:

P.S.

Yah - the intro cinematic is fine...I swear to god the game has to "warm up" or something equally inane before it'll happen with the AA turned on. I had to play for over an hour when I was testing it last night for it to occur. :duh:

12. Schtopper

Schtopper New Member

Well it took a few maps before i found one that would display the green snow as you described. I can't remember the name but will have a look again when i'm at home, it's one where snow is falling from the sky. Like i said it only happened once but that is enough for me to be fairly certain it's mroe than likely a driver issue and to confirm your not the only person suffering this issue. Further investigation is required but it will have to be when i get more time. I've just downloaded the 66.70s and will give them a go later on.

13. dommafia

dommafia New Member

please dont let this discussion die, i have this problem too and im wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

I know for a fact it's a driver issue with the maps that have weather effects. and i dont want to use those old 61.77 drivers just to play my favorite game :(

14. Bulge

Bulge New Member

I'm getting green snow too. Running an Athlon64 and a 6800GT with 71.84 drivers. It's sporadic, doesn't happen every time, but pretty hard to ignore -- kills the atmosphere. Not sure what's going on, if this is EA's department, or nVidia's.

If I find a solution I'll post it here, but I'm not very optimistic. If anyone out there has solved this, please take the time to register & post.

This is for Googlebot [humans ignore!]:

Green snow in Generals, green snow in zero hour, command & conquer CnC, CCG ZH, green snow glitch, artifact, weird, it's a strange effect, zero hour and green snow. Why am I getting green snow in generals zero hour?

15. nopunlntended

nopunlntended New Member

same thing. First time it happens is mission 3 of the solo campaign for me. Also the skirmish map bitter winter will do it. Intel P4 2.8C w/ Geforce 6600GT. So we can narrow it down to the video card, I think I saw someone with a athlon/geforce 6. My roomate has a geforce 5700 and he doesnt have the problem