Boot code 07 hang on startup Asrock Taichi

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Jan 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Hey guys happy new year. A bit frustrating news. My PC has been working fine after a little hassle when I first got it, with a thermal paste issue. There wasn't enough thermal paste which caused a boot loop. Anyway that was last month. Old news.

Now the PC hangs at 07 in the post codes. I have provided a list of my hardware below. It's been working for about a month with no issues and only refused to boot yesterday after being a bit slow the day before when I briefly used it.

Viper steel series: 64Gb ram 3600mhz ( 2X 32gb)
    Asrock Taichi x570
    Ryzen 7 3800
    Evga PSU 750GA
    WD ssd 1Tb
    Nvme Wd black 1Tb
    GPU( basic MSI 1gb GT 710). I have tested this on another PC. It's fine.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I just talked to him on the phone, both of us are a little stumped by this one. Calling @Tipstaff and @Judas to the table.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I assume that is the motherboard error code you are listing? If so, it's pointing to a memory error. Problem is it might be CPU related as the memory controller is built into the CPU, or it could be an issue with the memory itself (either bad ram, unstable timings in the bios).

A few things to try:
    - try running a memory test. Windows 10 has a built in memory tester which you can access by doing a search for Memory Diagnostic Tool. Give this a run to see if you have any errors pop up.
    - reset the bios back to defaults, but don't adjust any options for memory or CPU timings/clock rates (easy to do via the Clear CMOS button on the motherboard.. refer to the manual for more info)
    - if you are overclocking be sure to reset the machine back to base clock rates
    - check that the timing for your RAM is showing up correctly in the bios. If you aren't running XMP, try turning it on? If you are, try turning it off, and manually put in the timings and voltage for your RAM.
    - take one stick out, and try booting the system. If it works, swap it out for the other stick.
    - if you have it turned on, make sure that Smart Memory Access is turned off (should be as you have a Geforce video card)
    - try updating the bios.. long shot, but sometimes a bios update can include support for more memory modules (more module, timings for modules, and so on)

Try the above first.. one at a time, and see if there's any improvement.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Just got done speaking to him again, he has seen this post and he will try everything on the weekend, I think he should have updated the BIOS to the latest when it was working at first, but then again if he can get it to power on again instead of going through boot cycles like it is doing right now, by resetting the CMOS, which worked last time, he should be able to do it then. He is on the cusp of sending stuff back.

5. dawgXdenta

I will try doing a memory test after I unplug everything and clear the CMOS.
    I did once have an issue with the memory clocks not being set correctly, the RAM clocks defaults is different from the Mobo.
    The Rams clock is 3600 but the default was something like 2400.
    I wont be overclocking.

Unfortunately I can only tinker around this weekend because I work and I am too tired after work. But thanks for the advice, if all works happy, joy joy. If not the long process of returns and figuring out what to do next.

6. Tipstaff

That, to me, means the mobo is setting the RAM to a default setting. This is actually ok as it's underclocking/reducing the RAM speed. For it to run the RAM above 3200 you'd have to overclock it anyways. What I'd be paying closer attention to is the timings.

You could try loading the XMP settings for your RAM (Viper series should have it, but if you post your RAM's model number we can confirm for you). See if that helps. It's in your bios under "DRAM Timing Configuration". Should literally say, "Load XMP Setting".

Also, I assume you have your RAM in A1 + B1 slots, correct?

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm still puzzled how thermal paste being "not enough" would cause a boot loop from the last thread...

I'd say if there are any further odd problems with the board, i'd likely return for replacement. tipstaff has basically covered all the usual avenues.

8. dawgXdenta

I checked the configurations for my ram & A2, B2 is the default. But I will try different configurations thanks that didn't even occur to me.

9. dawgXdenta

I don't understand it myself. I reinstalled the CPU reapplied thermal paste & that seemed to do the trick.

10. dawgXdenta

It's been working fine for 3 weeks. Issue just started up. I still can't get it to bios yet in order to change timings or run a memory test. If I had a second rig I could test the CPU & the ram and see what is at fault

11. Judas

Well i just have i thought that there might be a fundamental problem with the board related to your initial problem. Reinserting the cpu likely fixed a contact problem briefly. My hypothesis is that either

A: one or several of the pins aren't properly contacting, be it that something is wrong with the pins on the cpu itself (unlikely, highly highly unlikely but wouldn't hurt to inspect and see if perhaps there are any that are shorter than the rest... i'd be amazed if this was the case)

B: The socket itself didn't adhere to the board and the individual contact points are buggered up. Even in the past there were some cases with PGA sockets in which the socket clamping mechanism and contacts were malformed during manufacturing regardless of the brand or model of board. I think this would be the MOST likely cause, though insanely rare still, far more likely still than anything being wrong with the cpu itself. Intel's LGA and even amd's threadripper lga sockets occasionally run into this, a hell of a lot of x58 systems were a nightmare and it always seemed to be memory detection or channel function problems (on some x58 and newer and larger LGA boards, if you could get the system to boot fine, sometimes the additional channels simply wouldn't function, even today it's not uncommon for intel's newest HEDT/HPED and amd's competing platforms to require "refitting" the LGA based cpu since there are so many damn pins). This problem is one reason PGA is often ideal since any such occurance is far less likely.

As much as it's a rather big pain in the ass, and frankly i'd prefer to avoid removing the heatsink and the cpu as much as possible, specially since we're dealing with the most delicate part of the system, each time increasing the risk of slipping and damaging something, i still suspect that you may have to attempt removal of the cpu, and reinserting it and applying the heatsink, I think for testing purposes, you could get away temporarily without cleaning up the existing thermal paste so you're not wasting it if doing this process results in no change, and if it does result in a change, then you can remove and apply properly as the last chance.

IF

1: removing the cpu and reinstalling it results in no change to the post behavoir, preventing you from starting it still, it'll be wise to remove and clean the past and reapply thermal paste IF you wish to continue using the machine IF you are able to get the system to post again
    2: removing the cpu and reinstalling it results in it suddenly starting to work, i'd personally/professionally remove the mainboard, place it back in the box, and return it to the place you purchased for a direct exchange IF you're still within that time frame allowable, otherwise submit for RMA (unfortunately).

When it comes to weird unpredictable and odd behavoir, NEVER wait around on it long when it comes to the motherboard, it's just not worth the headaches and the costs, every month that passes tends to be that much more of a pain in the ass, at least around here, to get a replacement without hassles.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  12. Tipstaff

Can you get into Windows at all? Or is it giving you the 07 error right off the bat, preventing you from starting Windows?

The reason I ask is that ASRock has a restart to UEFI" tool that you can grab HERE. Scroll down, and you should see a listing for the software. When you run this tool it will reboot you automatically into the bios.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  13. Judas

i've never needed that tool even with ultra fast startup and post time set to 0 on asrock personally.

but by my understanding, it won't even post at all.

14. dawgXdenta

Hey guys just an update. My pc booted up after I had it disconnected all day. I am thinking it's a memory issue., Like Tipstaff said. I will run a memory diagnostic & see what I come up with. My windows environment is acting strange too. I can't open the windows menu or the search on the bottom left. I will also uninstall my antivirus. Is I will use the bios diagnostic tool, is there any diagnostic tool you guys would suggest?

15. Calliers

Memtest.

16. Tipstaff

I agree. Memtest for Windows should be fine to start with. I prefer to run the USB bootable version, which would be the only thing running, but that requires a bit of knowledge to create. That's why I mentioned Windows 10 "Memory Diagnostic Tool". Far easier to run, and it does so on the next reboot (so Windows isn't running).

Calliers likes this.
  17. dawgXdenta

Sorry guys. I've been too busy to respond promptly. So its back to the boot loop again. This time it hangs @ boot code 11. Which is "prememory Cpu initialization", so like Judas said it's either th CPU itself or the board.
    Taking out the CPU gives me anxiety coz I have a carpeted floor and no real workroom.
    I think it's a serious issue and I may either have to return the board, the cpu or both I don't know yet.

It was able to boot yesterday & it made me think that perhaps it's a memory error, but now hanging at code 11 I am more sure that it relates to the CPU/ CPU - MOBO contacts.

I wish I had an extra rig to test these theories. I do remember however checking the CPU for bent pins when I started to encouter issues the first time. Which makes me lean on the theory that this is a MOBO issue.

Either way it sucks, just wanna have a working PC.

18. Tipstaff

Try booting the machine with no memory installed. See what, if any, errors pop up. Then try sticking one stick of memory back into A2 (I completely forgot that ASRock suggests A2/B2 to be filled first). If it works, swap out the RAM for the other stick.

As I mentioned, since the memory controller is in the CPU it could explain the issues you are having, or as you pointed out, it could very well be the motherboard.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  19. Judas

just to provide you a little extra confidence.... working on a carpeted floor isn't a problem... i've never used a proper work bench, or wore a wrist strap, and i wear socks on a carpeted floor. IF any nominal static discharge screws anything up, it was likely due to die anyways, chances are it wasn't the static discharge itself.

Really the only thing you have to worry about pulling the cpu out and putting it back in is that you don't slip with a screw driver, don't TEAR out the cpu resulting in bent/broken pins... or dropping things causing potential damage. Granted i understand it's not an every day occurance for you, but having done this a few thousand times now, you realize how insignificant the situation is and what is actually the biggest concern.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  20. Calliers

@Judas be like...installing parts in a PC underwater..."it still works, once you let it dry and everything, if it dies then it was going to anyways." :D

dawgXdenta and GigaWatt like this.