Borderlands

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Trusteft, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

OMGS. Have you seen this game? I first heard of it a while ago but I was under the impression that it was online only and requiring multiplayer, but apparently the whole game can be play as a single player game.
    I read few things about it, watched some videos and I am not very much considering to buy this game.

Another plus is that it is made by gearbox studios and I just love their work with FPS games.

So tempting to buy now lol.

2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

got the four pack with some buddies on steam, lookn forward to new a mp experience, but im sure thers plenty to chech out alone, but y so bluemak? y not just jump on n blast some folk wit some peeps? im interested in seeing how that aspect of the game is handled. none the less look like a cool game, good deal with the 4 pack aswell.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

For some reason I had Borderlands confused with ID's Rage. I had been looking forward to it but now I'm unconvinced that it is worth the investment of time with some big titles right around the corner.

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

http://www.gamingheaven.net/gamingreviews.php?reviewid=837

5. Trusteft

Thank you for the link. I missed it.

Yeah, it looks like Fallout 3 lite + Diablo 2 + Torchlight.

6. Guyver2K5

Guyver2K5 Don't make me hungry.

Hey everyone,
    anyone remember me? haha
    hows everyone doin

This game looks pretty decent, but i don't know if its my kind of game.

7. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I got the 4 pack with my friends, but I'm a little unconvinced that it can compete with Aion and TF2 for my time. I do get the diablo 2 fps vibe though, and that sounds like an idea I can have a lot of fun with.

8. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

grabbing it as I type, looks kinda cool

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

really not my style..
    I liked the concept, what they had before they went with this style, alot better!

10. YAYitsAndrew

Anyone get co-op working yet? I have a bunch of windows firewall exceptions set up and still can't connect with any friends.

11. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

I like most of the game I don't particuallry like the weapon system, especially the weapon system in regards to basically hoping you get a weapon good enough for the early levels, once it gets going, it's great.

12. Trusteft

Do the various numbers that pop up in the screen make it difficult to see?

13. Trusteft

YouTube - Borderlands is for Real Gamers (IGN Originals)

I am ordering now.

The above from the "president" of gearbox software lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  14. [hobo]eclipse

nope, tried even the dmz, and this is only with one other person, imagine gettn 4 together. very bad! only thing haven't tried is eliminating the rtr all together.

15. [hobo]eclipse

Borderlands host solution?

simple solution found here, ports are forwarded and windows fire wall is off for the time being (troubleshooting), but on a hunch while staring at the menu thinking WTF! i see the log out button, bottom option on the online page. hit it and log out of our friend game spy and was taken back to main menu. hit online and had to sign in again this time unchecking auto log in. both a friend and i did the same and it connected instantly, we played for a few minutes then disconnected, he and i reversed the host and connected again instantly.

we had played earlier fine for about 2 hrs, both reaching level 8 and decided to have a break, we had defeated 9 toes and the other big boss man that gave up the part for the tram. my friend ended the hosting session. an hour later we logon and i am now a lvl6 and he is still 8, and the 2 main bosse quest were flagged as not done for me, and it was recommended that i host in order to complete the quests with his help, WTF! it was after we logged out and i forwarded the ports required that we were unable to connect to each other in a private game. nothing solved this besides logging out of the game spy id in game and re-logging in.

about the save issue: it is our belief that because my buddy was hosting and ended the session b4 i quit from his game it messed up my save somehow. after we were able to reconnect and play, i hosted and we lvled my guy back up (he received no xp as was already complete) and we were back on the same page. we did a few more smaller quests and decided to do a save test.

since i was host, he quit the game and was in the menu b4 i quit the host, we then reloaded (both at same lvl as quitting and quests identical) with him hosting and did another small quest, logged out, with me quitting first and back in the game menu before he shut down the host, then one final time i hosted, he joined and we were still as should be.

the game itself when up n running is great, but the ingame menus suck and are in need for a PC makeover. the trade system, as previously reported is lackluster. giving/trading of ammo is rediculas thing to be denied in a MP experience as this. did come across some great guns and grenade mods while playing:)

Long story short:

If you're having private game connection issues, try logging out of the in game game spy log in and re-log in

if your having any issues getting quests saved as done, be sure all the players connected to the host quit the game completely before the host quits.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  16. YAYitsAndrew

I got it to work with some friends. I hosted with port forwarding on 7777, 28900, 27900, 28910, 7787, 29900, 6500, 9989, 28902. Windows firewall exception for Borderlands.

Game's okay so far. I don't like how if something is a few levels higher than you the damage reduction they get makes it almost impossible to kill them. The character progression isn't as deep as I'd like it to be. Vehicles are fun.

17. [hobo]eclipse

just played with another friend, he was not able to connect to my host until he signed out and in ingame.

18. deBelly

deBelly New Member

First thing that comes to my mind when I see this setting is the fantastic Firefly TV series, which had this crazy combination of western and SF.

19. Trusteft

Finally I am downloading Borderlands!!!
    Another hour or so.
    I can't wait to play this game.

20. Trusteft

About 20 or so min in the game.

First of all, you "have" to disable mouse smoothing. It's very annoying. (through ini file)
    Also, if you want, you can enable DX10 mode through ini file again. I don't know why it wasn't made available as an option, but...

After that the game is very good (so far).
    I can't say much yet, but, it looks fantastic (what Fallout 3 wish looked like), and it feels great.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009