!!!!Brand New Gaming Rig Check Out The Specs!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by mikehud851984, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

they make some great looking cases. I was once the happy owner of the NZXT Lexa, but it lacked some quality which I demand in a case.

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

3. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I would so buy that if the colors were reversed.

The first one is cool but I don't like those bulky front panels. Too clumsy.

4. Mousey

lol if an orange case was sat on my desk i'd be embarassed to show my face at a LAN unless i had like 4x 8800 Ultras in it and a QX9750 xD

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

That's because you are a teenager. :p

6. mikehud851984

mikehud851984 New Member

LOL You guy's are funny. Hey just had a question about my setup I don't believe that I am getting the full performance of the system anyone know of a good somewhat simple way to determin where I may be experiencing a bottleneck I mean I am only able to get 12,500 points in 3dmark06 and crysis is unplayable even at medium settings. I am really getting dissapointed and am just about ready to send it all back unless one piece of my hardware is defective and not running upto par. Also I tried to OC even by the smallest amount and it will not boot it says an error message saying (Bank Interleave request error overclocking failed please enter setup to re configure your system) And there are alot of options that are un changeable in the bios as well such as cpu voltage it is only running on 1.20 volts which is pretty low to me but I am really at a loss with this I can't figure out where or how I could have a bottleneck everything is running at normal operating frequencies so I'm really confused as to how it's running so lousy I mean it's a hell of alot better than my previous setup which only got a 9,880 in 3dmark06 but I still expected a bit higher performance out of it.

7. mikehud851984

mikehud851984 New Member

Also just to add one more thing I have owned a few asus boards and they have never had any options of the bios un changeable so I find it really strange that they have this board which is fairly high end and marketed towards oveclockers that won't take even a 100mhz OC what gives???

8. Trusteft

Have you checked the manual and any jumpers on the mainboard?

I wouldn't put too much trust on 3dmark.

Have you installed mainboard drivers? have you installed all the updates for your OS? Have you installed DirectX? Have you installed latest drivers for all the hardware? Including the CPU?

What is the performance index under Vista?

9. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

The Phenoms are notoriously bad at overclocking by increasing the HT Reference bus, which is part of the reason why the black editions where released. I wouldn't expect to get anything past 100 MHz over stock working.

edit: Oh, I see you have a black edition, in which case, you probably want to up the multiplier, as opposed to the HT reference bus. There are a number of other settings to tweak to keep other frequencies in working ranges, best to look up some guides for said purpose.

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

thats why we all recommend Intel, you bought very poor quality parts. not good.

the CPU is buggy and cant overclock for shit currently, newer revisions have hope but they'll never ever touch Intel's OC. the simpler a design, the more durable is usually it. that why intel is currently better

the ASUS board BIOS or hardware is buggy and cant overclock for shit neither, thats why recommended Gigabyte.

3DMark sucks and vista benches suck, but Crysis is the truth.....

i really recommend a Q6600 or E8400 with a P35 Gigabyte board and the Transcend 1200 sticks if you can get them, if not then Crucial 1066

your video card is a monster but your machine's other parts are pathetic. the CPU is crappy and you can get 50%+ if you get a Q6600 and OC it to 3.6-3.8GHz man....

only way to OC Black Edition is the Multiplier, but i haveent seen OCs out of the 2.8-3.0 range

11. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

ASUS has the highest performing parts for Intel right now :) If you go Intel...Go ASUS you wont be disappointed.... Gigabyte isnt exactly on ASUS's level in terms of highend performance... Pangingjr can attest to that as well Kris :)

As for Phenom... it has its pluses.... well in terms of memory throughput which is really only applicable to things that need that IE- Server quality work, and coding which requires high memory bandwidth. Thats about the only way Phenom is better than Intel stuff, and that is only because it uses and Integrated Memory Controller..... Other than that Mike I wouldnt expect too much in terms of overclocking, or earth shattering performance outta that phenom rig. Sorry Mate :)

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ASUS has good quality parts but the BIOSes seem to be either extremely good or extremely bad. none are perfect anyway..... and i guess when ever newer ones are released, just install them and try them out and see if you like them then move to the next or move back if you dont.

13. mikehud851984

mikehud851984 New Member

Ok so then I guess I will send it all back and start from scratch with Intel since I keep hearing they are superior to amd all the time I guess I just suck at picking my parts. All I want is a damn good gaming machine thats all I mainly use my sys for and this just is not satisfying. The only reason I went with amd is it's what I am used to I know more about how there products work and I have never built an intel based setup I have however owned a intel based laptop and that sucked horribly for everything and the laptop I own now does aswell so how about you all do me a huge favor and compile me a list of what you think I should get for mobo ram and cpu around $700 since thats all I got to spend I usually buy from newegg so that would be my preffered choice but all retailers are welcome as long as all the parts come from the same place so I don't have to pay multiple shipping charges. Also keep in mind I have no idea what chipset and chips are worth anything as far as intel goes I am blind. I would prefer ASUS mobo since I find them to be very decent and reliable.

14. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you dont need anything fancy from Intel really

just a good basic P35 and a good Q6600 and a good set of memory.

thats it and youll feed your X2 with way more power.....

you dont suck that much with picking parts, you went with good manufacturers, thats a start. AMD is a good company, just they hit the pavement real hard with this, Phenom will be a decent budget processor in time but not now, their just core needs work.

ASUS has a good reputation with people as a provider of quality boards, just make sure they didnt miss and try to go with the board that a bunch of people like or you know for a fact that its good. Gigabyte seems to have the highest range of quality P35 boards and Asus's P5K premium is good too.

15. ChaosMinionX

Processor: Intel Q6600 G0 Stepping (has more staying power being a quadcore IMO than a E8000 series Penryn based DualCore from Intel)

Motherboards:

ASUS P5K Premium (P35 based board, may have slightly higher FSB than X38 offerings, is also more stable with Quadcores than the Deluxe and other boards due to the fact there are no MOSTFETs on the back of the board like the deluxe has. However it only has 2 PCIE1.1 Lanes, 1 at 16x and other runs at 8x with 2 video cards in place)
    or
    ASUS Maximus Formula (X38 Based part, has dual full link width PCIE2.0 16x lanes which would accomodate 2x 3870 X2s quite nicely for when Quadfire is officially supported and you want a little extra kick to your system)

RAM: I am partial to either Corsair Dominator lineup or Cell Shock (company out of Germany who has some pretty sick parts check out TankGuys.biz and look at the Cell Shock they carry, the DDR2 1000 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v stuff is pretty slick :))

Of course those are highend parts, you could always go for a different RAM manufacturer and get some other Micron based sticks, however those are the only 2 companies I have experience with.

16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

CellShock is good but real hard to find at good prices.... some of the highest binned ICs in the world.....

Corsair is the main giant of memory in the Americas though.....

17. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

I would keep the RAM and the PSU you already have, these are good. But I'd change to these:

A Q6600 (obviously) : Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

And since you are not running a RAID array, this motherboard will be absolutely fine:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

A better motherboard won't give you any notable performance increase, but if you want one just because you do, I would go with this one:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail

I would go with the Q6600, the P35-DS3L and also get a second set of the same RAM you already have. You will find yourself with an Intel C2Q and 4GBs of RAM for less than you actually paid for the Phenom. The system will perform much better than the one you have now without overclocking one bit.

18. Trusteft

Unless you want to buy another graphics card, I don't see any point in paying extra for a motherboard with SLI. By the time you need two of your graphics cards, you will be better off buying a new system than going the SLI way.

19. Mousey

Sounds like a problem with the memory if it's do with Interleaving, isn't that about Dual channel?
    And dude, your 3DMark score is 4000 points higher than mine and i can get Crysis running at 20+ fps on high quality lol (1024x768).
    Have you tried running Memtest, that might pick up any problems with the memory

20. ChaosMinionX

3dmark isnt a benchmark of system performance in "REAL" games :) Not even close anymore unfortunately...