Brother 5895CW - InkJet Photo Professional Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

BRO-5895CW-StockImage.png

(Image shown is stock image)

Several years ago I saw this printer on the clearance rack at the local Micro Center. It was listed at $99.00 USD. I didn't even hesitate to put it in my shopping cart. This printer is capable of printing up to 11x17 Ledger size copies.

Many, many years ago I had a HP printer that could print the same size. But, that printer requires a SCSI card to utilize it. I still have that printer sitting on top of a bookcase in my office/computer/gaming room.

What I'm writing about is that this Brother printer suddenly stopped being able to print anything with yellow in it. Several attempts to clean the print head failed. Not even one drop of yellow would show up on the Quality test print after several cleaning operations. I came to my own conclusion that, without having used the printer in awhile, something had dried up in it.

I really, really did not want to discard ... or even send out for repair...this printer. It's been a work horse since I first bought it. And, the only one of my 4 working printers here that will print Ledger size.

So, I did a little research and came across a print head cleaner kit on Amazon. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived this past Monday.

When I ordered it, the applications clearly stated it was good for Brother, Epson, Canon and HP printers! But, the written instructions failed to show anything for Brother printers. I was bummed! But, after reading again online and the details clearly stating that it would work with Brother printers, I decided to give it a go.

Essentially, the kit came with 2 bottles of cleaning solution, a syringe with a rubber tubing about 4 inches long and different tips to use on the end for whichever printer one was going to use it on.

Well, I didn't need any of the tips. I simply used some needle nose pliers to force the end of the rubber tubing onto the yellow intake jet and forced the cleaning solution into it. After a few minutes, I extracted that solution back into the syringe and it showed some very dark...nearly black residue. I thought, Good, I got it fixed. I was wrong. No amount of the cleaning operation would produce any yellow output.

This was Monday evening.

So, on Tuesday evening...yesterday... I inserted more of that cleaning solution and then let it sit there for 24 hours.

When I arrived home from work this evening, I extracted what was still in there, replaced the ink cartridges, did a couple of cleaning operations and....Bingo! I got a few yellow dots in the test print.

So, I opened up my photo editor, created a color test page, sent it out...and it's working splendidly again!

For $18 USD and change, I saved a repair fee and even the cost of a new Ledger printer.

Mr Cairo, arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

Great job and nice story to read.

I was not patient with my ink printers in the past. I know it is my fault as when they were not used for a while I could not make them start to print. I know I should be patient and do all steps, get cleaning solution etc.

One day I got mad and bought HP Color Laser Jet. Love it.

It seems that this one does not dry out (I know it is different printing technique).
    I even got me a set of cartridges and I hope I am set for a good few years.

Calliers, Mr Cairo and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Dyre Straits

There use to be a technical writer in the Atlanta newspaper. He has since passed away. I even got to meet him personally one time and invited him to a meeting where we discussed telephone service for the deaf/blind/speech impaired.

Anyway, in one of his articles he stressed the importance of actually turning OFF any desktop inkjet printer when it would not be in use for any extended length of time due to the fact that the ink would dry out. The inconvenience of turning off..and then turning ON the printer between uses was just an annoyance that most of us would not bother paying attention to doing so. His point was that the printer head would not fully seal itself if the printer was not turned off. I would have thought that any printer would actually do so whenever it came to a rest. Anyway, I was glad my small investment paid off to get this printer working again.

Calliers, arb65912 and Mr Cairo like this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Fair play I would have given up and just purchased a new printer but you persevered and thats why I love this place, over the years people have come here with "this doesnt work what Can I Do?" and then the tale of "What I did to fix it"

Seriously I have zero interest in printers and printer repair but that I read this from start to finish. Glad its working :)

Calliers, Dyre Straits and arb65912 like this.
  5. arb65912

Very interesting about the difference between these two states, not in use and not on. I would never think of it being any difference.

In your approach I tend to think that on the top of saving some money, there was a higher goal to simply get into the problem and fix it which I like very much, not to mention I like reading your stories! :)

Calliers, Dyre Straits and Mr Cairo like this.
  6. arb65912

Exactly my point.

Calliers, Dyre Straits and Mr Cairo like this.
  7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Yeah, a lot of us found HH because we wanted to fix something and then stayed coz we did or in other folks cases back when this place was driverheaven and focused on drivers for video cards to mod our cards and get advice for modding them as far as firmware was concerned, as was my case so many years ago. :cool:

Mr Cairo and arb65912 like this.
  8. arb65912

I came here for help with building the system for Blender and simulator and thank to you, @Judas and quite a few others here I just liked the "atmosphere", spirit and as time went by I "met" few people here and that is how I stayed. ;):):cool:

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  9. Dyre Straits

Yes, my first visit here was when it was driverheaven. And it was prompted by what I had heard about Omegadrivers. I was interested in them for my then ATI All-in-Wonder video card...and then the subsequent ATI cards I got afterwards.

arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Yup, it was my ATi 9500 too that brought me here. :D

11. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

18 years... I still have and use my All-in-Wonder remote!... So I'm guessing I came here for some sort of driver back then.

QB

Dyre Straits, arb65912 and Calliers like this.
  12. arb65912

We came for drivers or with different drivers. ;-) And time sure flies... the only bad thing. :)

Calliers likes this.