Brother is thinking of a new rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IEMC, Mar 17, 2008.

1. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

if you aren't going to get another SLI card why not intel's X38 chipset?

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Most people buy SLI boards for an extra cost and never get a second graphics card. Save money where you can :)

Rosewill power supply? never heard of them.

4. IEMC

The lowest X38 set is another 60 dollars. It's the first mobo I looked at, but it's just a little out of reach.

I agree with your SLI board comment, but he said he may actually buy one. I'll talk to him about it.

As for the PSU: Really? They sell a lot of nice power supplies off of NewEgg, and all have very high ratings. What would you suggest for in the same price range / same watts / amps?

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

P35 then?

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can't suggest a good PSU, well, sort of. Since 2005 I buy Thermaltake PSUs at higher cost per W than other brands and I am very satisfied with them both in terms of performance and how silent they are.
    The more you spend, the better you get. Don't buy a cheap model of PSU, no matter what brand. If it fails, your whole system could be in danger.

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

get rid of the 750i, junk, go P35

get rid of the Rosewill, junk, go Corsair or Cooler Master variants

memory is good, but too small, go with G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1066, 4 gigs is better

get rid of the case, unnecessary cost for nothing but aesthetics, go with a CoolerMaster 690 its cheaper and better and bigger. put the money to the RAM

an e6550 is good enough and with a P35, youll be hitting 3.5GHz like me, id put the money to a bigger PSU

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I agree with Chris on the case and PSU.

For that wattage range either the Corsair 520HX for modular, or the 550VX for 'standard'.

The only reason for getting the Antec 900 case over the CM690 would be if he has to have the 'looks' of the 900. The CM690 cools as well if not better than the 900, cable management is a lot easier, and it's cheaper.

Cooler Master has announced the Centurion 590 which appears to be a bit of a cross between the Centurian 5 and the CM690. Very nice looking, and classy styling. Depending on when it's released and on when you guys plan on putting you new system together, it might be something to consider also.

Info on it here: Cooler Master

As for memory, there's a lot of ways to go, but if you are thinkg of going to a 64-bit OS, this wouldn't be all tha bad an option: Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

woah..... that 590 case looks incredible, surprised i didnt notice it.

10. IEMC

Yah, I don't thing 4 gigs is that necessary. He's only gonna be running XP, and if he upgrades to Vista, I'm sure he'll be able to get another 2 gigs.

Thanks guys, I'll talk with him and see what he decides on.

Oh:

The 690, in the end, is 21 dollars more expensive. The shipping on the 900 is free, and it has a 40 dollar MIR, but it does end up being the same cost as the 690 after MIR and free shipping. I think we'll stick with the 900.

I don't think overclocking is gonna be something he does, but I don't know. Sticking with the 6750 is probably a better choice for him. I'll talk to him about that, too.

With overclocking, he'd need a new heatsink, though, right?

Another edit:
    He does plan on going SLI within a few months of buying this computer, and there's no P35s in that price range supporting SLI. What's so bad about the 750i's?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yeah, especially if you add one of these: Cooler Master

and/or one of these: Cooler Master