BSOD any time I try to play a video

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by drivehard454, Mar 5, 2011.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

For some reason, I am getting BSOD anytime I try to play a video clip, be it you-tube, or a facebook clip, a teleision episode, etc.

The Blue screen says only to check drivers and BIOS settings. I have done nothing that I can think of which would warrent this happening. The only thing I can remember doing before this is uninstalling VCL player and installing the newerversion. I also remember trying to play DOOM 3 and it acted all weird and said something about open GL settings, changed my screen size and stuff, as in making the outer half inch of my screen turn black, and when I would mouse over to a black edge, it would slide the desktop over into view....weird. Had to restart computer to get rid of it.

First thing I tried was a system restore, but no matter what date I choose, it always ends up telling me it was unsuccessful.

I have updated video drivers, even changed out the video card with a different one. Made sure all my windows and internet explorer is updated, updated Net Framework, Direct X, etc.

I have run registry checks, virus checks, malware checks, all coming out fine.

Ran scan disk check on both HD's

Last time I had this happen, it was from a bad RAM stick, So I tried a different set, and it still happens. But that BSOD had specified a RAM error.

Funny thing is, I can play Combat arms just fine.(only game I play, addicted...lol)

If someone needs a pic of the BSOD, or mini dumps, I can post them later, as I am at work atm.

Thanks for any suggestions or help

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Blue Screen View :)

It'll highlight the DLL(s) that caused the BSOD in red and give you a description of the DLL(s). Post back on here what the cause was and we can advise further.

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK, here is the mini dump string that it gave. Didn't know how else to post it, as it is too long to printscreen and get all the info. So I copy/pasted it. Looks to me like it is something to do with the graphics driver. Not sure what to do at this time. I had an older driver version when this started and since then I have installed the newset driver and a different card, same specs as previous card, I have two. So a rollback wont work as it will just take me to what I already had which I was still getting BSOD.

Mini030911-01.dmp 3/9/2011 9:14:26 AM KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000008e 0xc0000005 0x00000000 0xa83b592c 0x00000000 ativvaxx.dll ativvaxx.dll+178a5 Radeon Video Acceleration Universal Driver Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Radeon Video Acceleration Universal Driver Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 6.14.10.0296 32-bit C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini030911-01.dmp 2 15 2600 102,400

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Is it possible that your system is slightly unstable, or that you are still running the drivers from the integrated graphics solution (as well as the AMD GPU drivers)?

5. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I guess anything is possible. I have not had problems with my computer for a long time. I make sure it is always clean, protected, adware free, etc.

This is something that just happened out of the blue, and there must be a simple solution.

Integrated graphics are disabled.

Maybe I am not understanding what you mean be unstable too, I may be way off...lol.

Thanks for the suggestions

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

By stable, I mean that the hardware is not making any errors. You can check this with programs like Prime95.

I realise that you have integrated graphics disabled, but if you perhaps used to use them (?), the old drivers may still be there, and causing problems in the background.

7. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK I get ya.....

I havent used the on-board graphic for about 5 years. When I bought the first Nvidia AGP card, I deleted all the ATI drivers before installing the Nvidia drivers. Likewise, when I bought this ATI card, I deleted all Nvidia drivers. So I don't believe that would be the issue.

8. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I did some searching on ativvaxx.dll errors, and found another person who claimed to have the same problem, and the fix was re-installing DirectX. So I tried the download and it said I had the newest version and did not download anything. Figuring this would not fix a missing file, I went into regedit and changed the version value to an older version and went back to the download page. This time it downloaded the end user runtime version 9.0. Thinking this may have re-installed the entire directx, I tried to play a youtube video.......It crashed once again.

So, I am wondering if I actually installed everything or just an update. Most information I have come across recommend I do not un-install the entire directx as it will not re-install without doing a buch of work....

As I am typing this, I am wondering if I should have re-started my computer before trying to play video...so I will try again after this.

Anyone have information on any process I should have done, or was I on the right track?

thanks

9. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Another question, and I will do some research too, what is the newest version my system will support?.....My graphics card states it is compatable up to directx 10.1, but I only have version 9.

10. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Get DirectX out of your system:
    How Can I Uninstall DirectX 9? at Instant Registry Fixes

Get DirectX back into your system:
    Download DirectX 10 for Windows XP

If you don't need to take full advantage of the hardware capabilities of your video card, installing DirectX 9.c should be gutten-nuff (as they say in German).

Next, I'd suggest that you uninstall your video drivers. Run Windows Installer Cleanup Util and remove all instances of video drivers shown.

Launch regedt32 from Start, run and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI

Find all instances to any video card and delete all subkeys and keys therein. You may have to modify security of the keys in order to delete subkeys (you can not delete key if subkeys exist). If you expand each folder, and then click on the sub-folder, the device properties will display in the right panel.

In fact while you're in there, make sure there's only one device enumerated for any PCI hardware component of your system. If there's two (or more) sub-folders w/in any arbitrary enumerated device-key: delete them all; Windows will detect and reinstall the devices missing in the registry upon reboot. These ghost devices are known troublemakers sometimes (especially w/video and sound). There may be two or more USB host controllers listed. Those should be o.k. to leave alone (there'll probably be one for each physical port on the mobo).
    Reboot the system.

Install std vga drivers. Reboot. Run the installer, i.e., exe, for your video card device driver (or use 'have disc' method if you manually extract the installer contents to a stand-alone folder).

11. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK WxMan1, thanks for taking the time to respond. couple questions:

1) The link you gave for downloading DirectX 10 Has a lot of controversal comments about the legitimacy of the installation. Mostly that of there is no way to run DirectX 10 on XP. However , I realize the comments are mostly 1 or more years old. Is it actually possibe to run DirectX 10 with XP? I would like to take advantage of it if I can. My card supports DirectX 10.1. I play Combat Arms mostly and the extra detail would be nice if it enhances anything. (I havent checked, maybe combat isnt even DirectX 10) There are a few other games I play as well.

I still have to download Windows Installer Clean-up. But I have more Questions first.

Launching into regedt32 is where I get worried about messin up...lol, so bear with me if you can.

2) I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI and this is what came up. I tried to open them all up to see, but it got too tall to view, but if you could elaberate what exactly I need to remove I can figure it out from there for the rest.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Again, thanks you for spending the time

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  12. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Just an update:

I still havent done as suggested, I am kinda in limbo right now on what to do. Afraid to tackle this step in case something goes wrong, mostly because I don't quite understand what to delete, and also wondering if the directx 10 is fully functional now since the post about it is so old.

Thanks

13. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Given that you play contemporary games, in theory it sounds to me like you'd benefit from having DirectX 10.x installed so as to avail yourself of the hardware capabilities that you have. In theory, there is no difference between theoretical and pragmatic. In practice, however, experience has shown pragmatism having an entirely different rate of success.

In that case you're at the mercy of the specific drivers utilized to implement the hardware features your firmware enable for the specific hardware you're utilizing.

You want to be sober when working w/in the registry. Somebody tells you to edit your registry: you WILL check it out on the inter-webs FIRST; you find out the details about the precise registry key mentioned.

When you play in the registry you had better have the safety net of 'image' HDD backup. At the very least, you better have: start, run, ntbackup, 'backup-wizard' button, next, 'only-backup-system-state', choose src-dest, and that's it. You're good to go. Once the numbers begin to change you can abort the backup; once the backup operation changes from 'thinking' to 'doing', you can abort. You can let the operation complete, but its not necessary. By doing this you backed up your registry into %windir%\repair\

You can get at that and fix an error you made IF YOU HAVE RECOVERY CONSOLE INSTALLED. If you don't have RECOVER CONSOLE installed, you're a fool; you should be gleaning from the inter-webs how to get that (and what do do with it once you got it). If you do not have recovery-console on your machine, put in for your entitlement to that portion stipulated in the Obama stash.

If you've NEVER backed up your registry, you'll wail to no end about having recovered your system, but that your system doesn't recognize whatever you installed. C:\Windows\Repair exists in that condition when Windows was first installed. If you NEVER update it, then you're hosed when you need it THE most.

I never make a move unless I have a backup plan; I can NOT afford to be w/out a system.

So I see youi're worried once you got into regedt32? That's a sign that the distance between pupils of your eyes is adequate to suggest intelligence.

You should understand that at the moment youi change a single letter in any one thing shown in regedt32 and your hosed if the change is incorrect, fat-fingered, etc.

- I've got the San Moreno bicycle race going on the background -

Get into that registry, LOOK, don't edit. It never SHOULD hurt to look.

If you EVER get to lookin' into your registry and it gets wonky on ya, you have a bug.

14. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

You should look into duplicate 'hardware'.

You should be able to establish 'duplicate' hardware.

Sometimes there's change you CAN believe in.

It doesn't matter who, who, what. It doesn't matter alleged crimes; Democrat motives are pure.

15. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Ok, I just got back from vacation for the last week and half.

Dang WxMan1, you sure have a way with words to scare the crap out of a person. I will work on the back-ups you suggested. Thanks

16. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Update and solution

I ended up completely deleting any ATI drivers and software from the computer, and ran in the super VGA mode. I then tried to run the videos I wasn't able to and they ran fine. I then went back to AMD and downloaded the drivers and software needed for my video card. Everything is fine now. I tried this originally before I even posted the problem, but something must have not worked correctly, that is why I was looking for deeper answers.

Thanks for the asssistance.

17. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Sorry, 'bout that. I once lit up a GF256 card.

If you gave me the $500, I'd have more enjoyment watching the bills burn. I will NEVER talk 'bout that.

I'm sorry I wan't good enough.