BSODs on HP Pavilion

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Tobey, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Alright I'll try to provide as much information as I can, and as much as I remember to.

I am getting a STOP 0x000008E error when I try to play certian games such as World of Warcraft or Neverwinter Nights 2. Other games work fine(HL2, Oblivion TES, Warcraft 3).

The error goes by too fast for me to write down the rest of the information it gives, but the event properties gives this info:

The windows site says:

My DxDiag information:
    I tried to talk to HP technical support(lol) and they suggest I download the newest Directx 9.0c software, and then use the software acceleration tab in display>advanced>troubleshoot. It hasn't worked so far. I'm reinstalling WoW in hopes that it may have been a bad install.

I believe its an issue with the nVIDIA mobile drivers, so I've tried to update them to working drivers, no luck. nVIDIA seems to have pretty crapy mobile support and their offical drivers wont work on my card. I've tried the drivers at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and no luck.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to send my PC back for a new one, I spent a long time setting this one up :(

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

My guess is that there is a driver problem of some sort (probably video card or motherboard). If you haven't already, make sure you run DriverCleaner before you install the new drivers. You may want to try out the DHZeropoint Drivers (I believe they are mobile).

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

4. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Awesome, I'll get to work trying all this out. Thanks for the help!

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

It might help, but your problem *could be* hardware related too- like bad memory or something.. Those errors are a real pain to track down.

Have you ever run a memory tester program like memtest86+ ? That is a good thing to do once in a while too.

You can run it from a CD-
    http://www.memtest.org/ it is a great way to make sure your memory is ok.

6. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Yeah, still having the problem, I am currently downloading memtest, and I am also trying a lot of different drivers... I'm starting to think its my video card though. :(

7. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Yeah so I used memtest, with default settings there were no errors.

Guess its time to send my laptopback for a new one?

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

how long did you run memtest for? You want to be running that program for at least a good few hours. Preferably overnight if at all possible.

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I'd try a windows re-installation before I sent the thing back.. Most of the time in my personal experience, those errors are software related. It might save you a lot of hassle if it's just a software issue and the hardware is fine.

10. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Alright thanks for the tips, Memtest tonight... then reinstallation tommorow if there were no problems with memtest.

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah you never know it might just work, if not you haven't lost anything..

12. Tobey

Tobey New Member

So after 8 and a half hours of memtest, 0 errors and 27 passes. But it did feeze at the point but still... 0 errors.

So now its formatting then a reinstallation of windows I suppose. My HP laptop has a windows recovery partition, should I even bother using it or just format completly and fresh install?

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

man I would just back everything up you want and then do a format and everything. Then you will know for sure if the BSOD is software or hardware. if it comes back after all that, you can be pretty sure you have some hardware problem.

14. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Alright, thanks for your help BWX(and CDs and viking :D).

15. Tobey

Tobey New Member

Just as an update, after long hours with tech support. And even more long hours hunting down weird drivers. The problem was a faulty windows install on HP's part. After formating and reinstalling a fresh copy, the problem seems to be non-existant. Thanks for the help everyone!

16. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Cool.. seems like it was worth reinstalling Windows.