bug reports for OS X driver 1.2b1

Discussion in 'MAC OS X Driver' started by Eugene Gavrilov, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

No, kX does not do this, you have to change Surrounder's settings manually when using headphones (the most kX does is mute the speakers when headphones are detected (and I think that only works with headphones connected to LD Headphone jack), it does not automatically reconfigure for headphones and downmix).

As for the Win version, is it set to 2.0 with Surround On (and VCenterA adjusted appropriately)?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Hmmm, that would be odd logically, I mean who would actually want to set surround to 2.0 specially for headphones everytime? I see that kX does not mute speakers (which is fine) but if someone wants both speakers and headphones at the same time (i once had these moments), it will be difficult :uhoh: Also, imagine the double setting users have to go through (one for setting surround to 2.0 and then 5.1 again after headphones are disconnected physically).

OK, 2.0 will give me sound (as said earlier) but its 5.1 that should be actually giving proper sound upon headphone detection (so kx manager interaction is reduced)

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

AFAIK, that has never been a feature of kX... (maybe Eugene would implement such a feature if asked (I guess using the 2.0 - Surround mix preset), but it would only work if kX can detect when headphones are connected, and as I said previously, I think the HP detection stuff only works (currently) with the LD headphone jack (with kX)).

As for using speakers and HP at same time, in your case, since the HP signal is the same as analog front, if it auto-downmixed, then it would get messed up anyway (i.e. your front speakers would get the mix too).

For people with a Live Drive (thus an independent HP jack), a custom DSP config can be used to downmix for the headphones only, if that is what is wanted.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

kX surely detects headphones (icon shows up) Certainly, this is not hardcoded hardware that is mainly giving the analog front signal to headphones :p (CT driver's default downmixing prooves that point). Hopefully future cool drivers (WIN & OSX) may solve something :)

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yes, that is exactly what it is... Normally if you do not have a Live Drive, that is where you would connect your headphones (analog front jack). You think it is bad having to open up Surrounder and change the preset... try reaching behind your computer, disconnecting your front speakers, and connecting the headphones every time you want to use headphones (luckily my headset includes a switch so that I do not need to do this, but many people do have to do this).

This does not mean that you cannot downmix to your headphones (of course you can), but you cannot send a separate signal to the front speakers.

6. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Well, its a matter of convenience, CT drivers added it so that people who have the switch can make use of it :) Its not that big problem, guess I'll use this workaround for long time then... (double setting that is hehe) but I still say it, if its automated, better (not like the world will stop spinning for me)

EDIT2: Just out of curiousity, I checked behind the sound card and I can't find any Mic IN :eek: so there is only one for me!? the retail model shows it has mic IN (behind the card) mine has, FireWire + Digital Out + 7.1 anolog out (5 ports aka holes). Damn! :oops: This is an OEM built card (thought it was same as retail):uhoh:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well of course it is ;)
    And, as I said before, maybe E. would add that feature if asked (who knows, maybe he had planned to do so at some point, but currently there really is no headphone specific preset).

I assume that when you say "there is only one for me", that you mean only one input, and not "only one MIC input"?

In any case, it seems that with some Dell models, some jacks are shared, so you might want to check if that is the case with your card (i.e. on the Dell Audigy Advanced MB, it seems that Mic In is shared with the Side out (i.e. same jack, so it seems you cannot use both at the same time)).

<edit>
    Regarding you reply (below), there is never a headphone jack on the rear of the card, as I said before, normally you need to use the analog front speaker jack for headphones, unless you have a Live Drive. The headphone output in kX only applies to the Live Drive headphone jack, thus nobody uses that output (normally) unless they have a Live Drive.
    </edit>

<edit2>
    Yes, Mic In is normally on the rear of the card, so it seems that your Dell model moved it to the front as a convenience thing, but either way, you only get 1 Mic In (unless (again) you have a Live Drive, which adds additional I/O's (i.e. Line2/Mic2, etc are Live Drive inputs)).
    </edit2>

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Forget about Mic, There is also no headphone hole behind :eek: meaning the quick connection (like Mic and heaphones) can only be made through front side! Although its an intelligent move (thinking of putting IN/Out cables from behind) it renders "Headphones" mentioned in kX Manager useless? :bleh: my current headphone does not sound from headphones epilog anyways...:uhoh:
    EDIT: oh... ok then :) guess then I'm OK with that one... But I definately see mic in the rear for This Model (0350)

EDIT2: Watching movie is kind of cool thing to do in osx, I hope E has some solution to this aside from kx Manager trick (if it comes as win)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

Ok, I tested all outputs on my 1820M's Audio dock for routing and level.
    I ran logic on my hacky and on my MBP. The system volume on the hacky turned all the way up and input volume for the line in on the MBP all the way up. I inserted a test oscillator in logic set to 1K sine wave and tested all the core audio outputs to see where they came out of the dock. When I found the physical output, I slowly turned up the test oscillator volume unitl I got 0db on the input meters on the MBP

Here goes.

Core Audio 1/2 came out of Dock 1L/1R and S/PDIF and Headphones as expected. I only need -32db on the test oscillator to get 0db line level out of the analog jacks. S/PDIF mirrored the levels from output to input exactly.

Core Audio 3/4 -> Dock 3L/3R (swapped with CA 5/6) also -32 db

Core Audio 5/6 -> Dock 2L/2R also -32 db

Core Audio 7/8 didn't register on any of the outputs.

I also got no output from Dock 4L/4R no matter where I sent the osc.

[​IMG]

10. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

Îòâåò: Re: bug reports for OS X driver 1.2b1

Kez,

Hmm.. that's a bit strange.. are you using consumer/unbalanced (-10dB) or pro/balanced (+4dU) connections?

try the following:

set your Mac to work with both SPDIF and analog-input
    in your DAW on your mac choose left channel -> spdif left
    right channel -> analog right
    I guess, this setup will simplify all the tests

after that, ensure your 'Audio MIDI' levels are all set to 1.0 (0.0 dB)
    after that, open Terminal and reset EDSP firmware:
    edspctrl -reset

after that, switch your E-mu card to -10dB consumer mode:
    kxctrl -sfpga 13 1f

or, if you are using +4dBU pro balanced mode,
    kxctrl -sfpga 13 0

on my 1212m this works fine - all levels are OK and working correctly

default mode is +4dB, so, you may need to change this
    create a script that launches edpsctrl -reset and kxctrl -sfpga 13 1f and add it to your startup script folder

E.

E.

11. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

Re: Îòâåò: Re: bug reports for OS X driver 1.2b1

Ok I'll try that.
    It's just strange that the levels are normal in windows... did you see my earlier post?

12. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Eugene? do you have any comments on this? I mean "no voices in headphones @ 5.1" issue of mine? Think about it, its weird changing speaker modes from kX Manager everytime just to switch headphones :p If OSX version becomes somewhat better in this, :drool: Lu Yea!

EDIT: you have one "thank you" @ INF (and one unusual mute with EMU series @ p20 + p21)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  13. djsubject

djsubject New Member

:drool:
    Hmmm, must learn scripts!! any tips on how to add that to a script?

:)

14. djsubject

djsubject New Member

i think i'm ok :)

i edited a .ini to edspctrl[enter]

put it in the dock, automated that being run, then closing it after load, (i just recorded me opening it & closing it) saved that as a app, made the app load at startup,

so now i boot, then terminal loads with edspctrl, then closes after firmware load :)

if you edit a .ini file (open it in text editor) to the command you want, then press enter, then save it, it will run the terminal process just by double clicking it

being lazy i used automator to run & close it,

PS, in my ini i put edspctrl -reset, as it will load from no firmware aswell as doing the reset (as i said i'm lazy)

DJ

15. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member

Sun VirtualBOX 2.06 Error: HostAudioNotResponding
    VirtualBox is a PC Emulator for Mac (allows Windows on MacOSX).

Attached Files:

16. ahthree

ahthree New Member

distortion after about 1hour 30minute on my ct4760
    thanks for your work!
    however,this version is better than 1.1b !

17. TheKezReturns

TheKezReturns New Member

I can't actually do that at the moment as on the MBP it's dual function optical/analog line in jack so you can only use one at a time.

This didn't make very much difference in the volume.

As a side note, this was never a problem in windows with emu drivers or even KX.
    I had a good range from very quiet to nice and loud.

With KX in osx it's like sound off-> too loud - > way too loud

Could it be a linear / log scale thing?

18. killdos

killdos New Member

Îòâåò: bug reports for OS X driver 1.2b1

there is no any input devices
    anyway, thanks a lot for your work!

19. mahhanan

mahhanan New Member

HI.

With a sb audigy 4 the same problem. It have not mic input. The sound is ok with 5.1 analog.

P5K deluxe wifi
    GF 8800GTS
    Audigy 4
    Core Duo 2 6600
    :(

20. Oxtie

Oxtie Active Member