BUGFIX: Install problems with "ATI Hardware not detected" dialog

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by twixt, Jun 22, 2005.

1. twixt

twixt New Member

This particular glitch has been around for a while. Finally got this sorted out last week. The installation has been stable through three different WXP installs and one set of Video Driver upgrades -- so I think this bug is properly and thoroughly squashed.

Problem details as follows:

There are some people who report they cannot install the ATI Catalyst Video Drivers using the standard installer. The manual install process from Device Manager works correctly -- but the automated install from the main executable downloaded from the ATI website does not.

I have had this problem now with two different ATI Video Cards -- an All-in-Wonder 9800Pro and a regular 9500Pro. I found the following:

1. On the system with the 9500Pro, all worked fine until I upgraded that system from an Intel D845PESV Motherboard to an Intel D875PBZ Motherboard. With the new motherboard in place, SmartGART would not load and it was impossible to install/upgrade the Video Drivers. The "Cannot detect installed ATI Hardware" error dialog would appear whenever I started the standard installation process using any ATI Catalyst version later than 4.7.

2. With the D875PBZ motherboard in place, I was able to manually update the ATI Video drivers to either Catalyst 4.12 or 5.5 -- but everything to do with SmartGART was simply missing from the Video Driver Control Panel. (Standard Control Panel).

3. After much hair-pulling, I discovered that the add-on 2-serial/1-parallel PCI card used to add these extra ports to this machine was interfering with the hardware-detection process for the Video Card. Once the add-on PCI card was removed from the system, the standard Video Driver install process for Catalyst 4.12 or Catalyst 5.5 ran successfully -- and all features of the driver and control-panel package were present and functional.

4. Futhermore, I have since replaced the add-on 2-serial/1-parallel PCI card with a different card using a different chipset. This new card is working fine and I have since done a full-pull uninstall/upgrade from Catalyst 5.5 to Catalyst 5.6 (including all MMC 9.08 stuff) without any problems at all.

5. I have also experienced a longstanding problem with the ATI DVD Player not properly showing up in the ATI Control Panel applet's "ATI Programs" list. The ATI DVD player application would install to the ATI LaunchPad Utility successfully and I was able to run the application successfully -- but the DVD Player Application's installer would fail to properly detect the video hardware in the same manner as the main Driver/CPanel/WDM Installer -- and as a result the ATI DVD Player would not properly integrate with the ATI Control Panel's "ATI Programs" list.

Note: The ATI DVD Player would work -- it is only the integration of the Player with the Control-Panel's menu in the System Tray that failed.

6. Since the 2-serial/1-parallel PCI card has been replaced, the ATI DVD Player installer now successfully detects the hardware on the Video Card, and the ATI DVD Player is properly integrated into the "ATI Programs" list in the ATI Control Panel's System-Tray applet.

Conclusions:

1. The main ATI Installer executables *insist* on recieving a sucessful response from a hardware query of the Video Card's capabilities -- before the driver install process can proceed beyond the basic unpacking/initial-splash-screen phase.

Note: The above is normal and correct. The driver must know the capabilities of the particular target-video-card to which the driver-install-routines must customize the driver-install-process.

2. Any other piece of hardware in the machine that *interferes* with the process of querying the ATI Video Hardware capabilities will *also* interfere with the install-process. This can and does range anywhere from a minor incompatibility leading to failure of something as minor as the loss of ATI DVD Player list-item integration with the ATI Control Panel's System Tray applet -- to something as major as complete inability to install the Video Driver package at all.

3. It cannot be predicted what hardware may interfere with the Video Card. The only way to enquire after this particular incompatibility is to remove all hardware from the machine except the absolute basics -- and then test the Video Driver install process again by completely removing/reinstalling the drivers with the machine in stripped-down mode.

4. A simple motherboard upgrade on an existing installation can *induce* this incompatibility. Previously-working hardware can be rendered incompatible by the changes in the motherboard BIOS' memory-map and I/O address layout that accompany a motherboard upgrade.

Observations:

1. This problem was originally *induced* by an upgrade from an Intel D845PESV motherboard to an Intel D875PBZ FMB 1.5 motherboard.

2. Experimenting with various motherboard BIOS versions for the D875PBZ motherboard convinced me this was not an issue that could be resolved through BIOS upgrade/downgrade.

3. I eventually discovered that the Lava 2SP-PCI 2-serial/1-parallel PCI add-on card installed in this machine was creating a PCI bus-conflict that led to the ATI drivers being unable to communicate with the Video Card -- and this led to SmartGART being automatically disabled in the original installation and then subsequently to being unable to update the Video Drivers successfully thereafter.

4. I was able to successfully use a SYBA 2-serial/1-parallel PCI add-on card using the NETMOS chipset in place of the LAVA add-on card using the EPIC/XILINX chipsets. This cleared up the PCI bus-conflict and allowed the 2-serial/1-parallel PCI add-on card to work properly -- as well as allowing the ATI Video Card, its associated drivers and its associated DVD Player Application to install and work properly as well.

Hope this helps others with similar problems.

twixt

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Definately some good info in there...Kudos, I'll point my friends to this (Some of them have this problem)

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

It also helps to have all the windows updates installed and the latest chipset drivers.

4. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Not always..... infact Windows AutoUpdate (which it forces on) caused my PC to slow down to a halt some times :duh: It was really weird and I haven't bothered to see if v.6 of it fixed anything