Building a Low Cost APU System @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Jun 1, 2012.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Building a Low Cost APU System (Media, Productivity and Gaming)

"Recently AMD set us the challenge of building a low cost APU system to see if it would be possible to build a decent media/productivity/gaming PC on a minimal budget. It's something different to a review which is always a nice change so we set about looking at what could be done when pretty much every component has to cost £60 or less."

2. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Thank you HH for being friends with AMD :) Nice article.

3. shALKE

shALKE HH Panther

You can even lower the cost. Don't know really why we needed Kuhler 620 and a cheaper case :)

4. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Well, it keeps things nice and tidy. Atleast the case has the pre drilled tray, mind you I dare most do these day's, but a nice touch all the same.

5. dagski

dagski New Member

Nice review for low cost amd build. Iwould like to know how can it handle diablo3?

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It'd be nice to see it put against a SB Pentium based system with a discrete graphics card, with the APU overclocked ofc.

I'd agree that the case and cooler choices were OTT.

I'm not sure why anyone in the real world would buy an APU and a 7750, btw. If you're getting a discrete graphics card, they just don't make sense.

7. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

You might not buy a 7750 with the APU but you can bet there are a bunch of people out there wondering if they should... and now they know the results if they did take that route.

As for the case and cooler. For £40 you cant really complain about the 620 imo, that's phenomenal value for a cooler that will last the user through a number of upgrades. We really could have chosen any case under the sun but that was sitting in the corner here so why not :) It is after all very cheap and a nice step above those £20-35 horrid cheap cases that are the step down.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I guess if you have an APU and want to upgrade, the 7750 is as sensible as it as at any other time. But if you want to buy a system with a 7750 from the word go, any APU is a waste of money and slower than cheaper alternatives.

I agree that the 620 is good value, it just seems to me that £40 is quite a lot as a proportion of the total system cost when a £15-£20 air cooler would have been more than this system could ever need.

9. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Agreed, excellent display of build logic. It would be nice to see it up against a test Rig with a SB within. If poss :)

10. WhaleFrenologist

WhaleFrenologist New Member

So, um... What was the point of this again? To show how lame APUs are? Why even bother with the APU if you knew you wouldn't be using it? Surely there would have been a better CPU for the price that didn't come with a useless-for-gaming GPU on-die...

11. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm inclined to agree that you goofed this review up. However, in all fairness you did present results with both the APU and the 7750, but I still tend to think that the review should have been APU only to really show what a really low budget AMD system can do. The whole point with the APU is lost this way.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Ok, if we're being brutally honest, I might as well give my full opinion. Please don't take offence, you know I love this site :p

If the review is intended to answer this question, I think you hid that fact quite well. It actually read a lot like: "Here are two budget systems that we recommend: A4 APU, and A4 APU with 7750." More advertorial than consumer advice.

You guys are often criticised in your reviews for being insufficiently critical (Lucid aside :D), and while I understand that this piece wasn't a review, you really had little warning or sensible explanation to offer for what's quite an illogical component selection. Nowhere do you say "btw, don't do this, it's silly", let alone "AMD's APUs are really quite shockingly poor when you put them up against Intel CPUs as a solution to use with a discrete card".

I know that you want to keep a good relationship with the likes of AMD, and please do continue to give them plenty of coverage and sponsor events like the Gamexperience (whether or not I'd go again - I understand that I'm not the target audience). I don't even mind you giving 90% of products you review a generally positive conclusion and >8/10. But you have to be willing to say "however, if you're considering buying this, please do be aware that there are X and Y competing products that are superior in the following ways...".

Now the first of these is perhaps excessively harsh, but I think it does say something when you get three near-identical comments.

I also stand by my earlier point that it'd be nice for this to have been a comparison between an APU and (for example) SB Celeron + 6670, rather than a comparison between an APU and an APU with a 7750.

I'm sorry if this post/wall-of-text isn't particularly welcome.

Blib.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  13. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Don't worry about it, the fact is blib, you are right! As an AMD fanboy, I am, well, pretty fucked off. The FX or Piledriver are not the answer. I must confess Blibbax, did not bother to click your links, I have now.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

My beef in this thread (in so far as I have any) is not with AMD's CPU architecture. Bulldozer would be compelling if it was cheaper, imo.

15. Stuart_Davidson

Thanks for the feedback all, positive and not so much positive. It is worth remembering though that just because *you* feel that something is a "a useless-for-gaming GPU on-die..." it doesn't mean there are not a bunch of people going "wow, i can get X performance for £50!".

16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This much is of course true. I'd like to distance myself from the "useless-for-gaming" part of WhaleFrenologist's post, as well as from his somewhat aggressive attitude :p

17. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

No doubt it would be for a tight budget. Whether it was cheaper or not, in my mind, does not make up for the for fact that Bulldozer, is somewhat lacking.

18. Transk53

Transk53 New Member

Actually, I WILL take you up on the argument here. Your saying HD 6000 is useless?

19. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

That was kind of my point with my critical post. It would have been interesting to see what the APU could do on it's own, even when it comes to gaming, than together with a discrete GPU. I don't think it's useless at all, I've now built two systems for friends with AMD APU's so I know it works quite well for those that aren't into hardcore gaming. Hence I think there's lots of people interested in seeing more clearly what the APU can do by itself.

20. Stuart_Davidson

You guys know that the graphs at 720 on the various game pages are the APU's integrated GPU on its own, right?