Building a PC : Step by Step Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Guide Here
    Today, DriverHeaven will show you just how easy building a computer really is... a few simple steps and some time is all it takes and you will gain the satisfaction of building your own PC and learning a lifelong skill in the process.

Attached Files:

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

its really great to finally see this guide up.... i truly hope that this guide will help those who wish to build a system of their own, succeed and be filled with the satisfaction of using their own machine.

thank you Allan for making this thing come out so great and to Nathan for taking the time to take some excellent pictures :D

swimtech and Mac Daddy like this.
  3. clanman

clanman New Member

wow great job guys, my kid brother is about to go to newegg and order a bunch of stuff to build his first pc. He has been too proud to ask me to help him so this will prove useful.

kris23 likes this.
  4. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Awesome.

One of the best pictoral guides I can remember seeing, with all the major details covered. Hopefully, this guide will do a lot to help many folks easily overcome any "intimidation factor" in order to build a system that can be a much better value than a pre-built system. Not only that, the whole process of choosing components, purchasing, and assembling can be a lot of fun, extremely satisfying, and a great learning experience!

What a difference those zip ties make!

Thanks for this y'all!

5. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

great job ! well impressed and most of these guides ive seen on sites suck or miss out certain parts of the build.

I think you covered it all for the newbie builder. So I hope people who read it post their experiences and if it helped them make their first creation.

Equally so I know this great community will help support those who try their best and maybe run into issues, thats what makes DH so great.

kris23 likes this.
  6. humonous

humonous New Member

top job, that is a well rounded and very helpful piece of work. I am positive a lot of people will get something from it.

kris23 likes this.
  7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Great job on this Kris and cool on Nathans help as well .. outstanding !!

+ rep

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

thanks alot guys

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I agree, great job guys..... very clear and easy to read. Photos are excellent too!

kris23 likes this.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

nice and easy to follow and reads well, good job :)

kris23 likes this.
  11. lepel

lepel New Member

I'm reading through it now. It's really great and must be very useful to people who are unsure about building a PC. Truly a beautiful effort made by DH!

If I may make a suggestion about the page with "how to choose components": I would explain the different sizes in motherboards and cases: ATX, µATX etc. Because some someone might buy a mini size case, not knowing that his ATX motherboard doesn't fit inside.

EDIT: Finished it. It was really easy to read and very clear to understand with all the pictures. But I have a question about applying the thermal compound. When I built my first system last year I was wooried the most about this bit so I did a ton of research on the internet. Aren't you applying too much of it? Especially in the picture where the paste was spread out. Most guides advise a drop the size of a grain of rice. Also the layer should be so thin that it's almost translucent. If the thermal compound is conductive, applying too much might be dangerous I thought.

Lastly, can someone explain me the next passage.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

all great points to address, the only statement currently addressing this is the "does it support your motherboard" ill see about expanding on that.

the amount of thermal paste is alright or too much depending on how it is prepared. that excess is good as if you flatten the layer, having too much is better than too little since over half of it will usually adhere to whatever you are using to smooth it out.

the grain of rice example is almost exclusively for the simpler method of applying it to the center and just placing the heatsink on top of it and let it spread naturally.

the optimal amount of thermal paste is debatable and really depends on the paste's consistency as it is also very easy to add too little thermal paste. as no surface is completely flat, there may not be enough to make effective heat transfer possible. if its only slightly over the needed amount, if it isn't a lot, the pressure and heat will eventually force the paste out of the sides making it a non issue.

as for the SATA drives, the ports generally register as 0,1,2,3,4,5. with an optical drive in 0, the motherboard recognizes port 1 as the OS disk, even if the HDD doesnt have an OS disk on it, the drive after the optical is seen as the primary HDD and will attempt to boot from it weither or not an OS is actually installed.

hope that helps!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    lepel likes this.
  13. lepel

lepel New Member

Thanks for clearing that up kris. If I remember I installed my OS HDD on SATA port 0, the secondary drive on 1 and my optical drive on 3. I think, I can't remember very well, but it works. ^^

14. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yea, it should work fine in different orders depending on the board make....

my maximus formula can run the primary HDD to be 0 if i wanted, while some gigabyte boards require the above arrangement in order to even boot the OS properly. it all depends. dunno why but thats just how it is with some manufacturers

cozumel likes this.
  15. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

I have been building pc's for decades and I gotta say that a lot of the guides on the net are WELL off on their little tips on how to apply paste. applying too little paste is actually more damaging that applying a little too much.

The pictures in this guide are about the same amount I would apply and its also worth mentioning that if you are using an aftermarket cooler with direct heatpipe technology that a little more should be applied to compensate for the additional grooves.

I appreciate the comment on the conductive pastes but unless you slap it down like you were laying bricks there is no way it will get onto the motherboard.

My advice would be to apply a nice even layer, not too much and not too little, much like the picture shows.

16. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

nice one Zardon taking care of your peeps on DH

17. Hexotic

Hexotic New Member

Excellent guide.

I just wish this was around when I built my first machine. Looks and reads a hell of alot better than the instructions that came with the parts I bought.:D

18. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Excellent!

How I wish there's a "print" button on the articles. I usually print to PDF interesting reviews I find online, and read them offline at home...

:)

19. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Great work Kris.

20. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Very good piece of guide you guys! I kinda wish that there was this good of a guide out there when I built my first one but hey that's ok I didn't damage anything and that PC was still going three years later when it was dismantled. My board as far as the SATA discussion goes allows you to just identify which drive is which so I've never had the problem with having to put them in a specific order.