Building a PC : Step by Step Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 10, 2009.

1. NathanMarks

NathanMarks New Member

The reason I find you have to have your SATA HDDs in a specific order is because if you've got one with an OS installation on and it isn't set as the first priority HDD you may have to change the ordering in the BIOS, something i've experienced myself. Novice users may not feel so comfortable in there.

cozumel likes this.
  2. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

That's true....makes sense to me. Sorry its been awhile since I was a novice....I forget how intimidating a BIOS screen used to be :dead:

3. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Very nice guide there Kris, certainly a good, well thought out and methodical guide. :)

I have literally just rebuilt my PC myself, after buying a new iCute 0508ULA case. It might have a dull name but its not a dull case, it also marks the first time I actually paid attention to wire management, something that usually goes out of the window.

4. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Great guide kris and nathan.

Just one thing I have found depending on the case that some people new to building may need to be aware of.

When preparing the motherboard it may not always be possible to fit the cooler prior to installing into the case if the cpu cooler is large. I've had it before (more than once) when I was not able to slide the motherboard into place due to the sheer size of the cooler and it had to be removed. Once the motherboard was in place wihin the case then I was able to reinstall the cooler again!! I suppose it's just a case of looking at the case & components first, to see what fits where and how, so that you can save time and not to do it the dumb way like me lol!

5. NathanMarks

NathanMarks New Member

Hey Cozumel,

You raise a good point however I see that issue isolated to a very few instances.

Firstly, in every build I have ever done I have never had a problem installing the motherboard straight into the case with a large cooler attached, in fact, most large coolers require backplates so installation to the motherboard is often preferred before case installation. In fact I have had more trouble attempting to install coolers INSIDE the case, especially those with a top mounted PSU.

However, I can see how some removable motherboard trays may have issues with large coolers. Cases such as the NZXT Khaos won't accomodate a large cooler while using the fold out tray mechanism so you must install the motherboard straight into the case. Same goes for some slide-in trays, sometimes the frame of the chassis can block entry for large coolers. Once again traditional installation must be performed in that case.

I haven't seen a case myself that can fit the motherboard entry but not the cooler as on the horizontal plane the motherboard takes up a much larger area.

Can I ask what case you are using and the cooler you are having problems with?

6. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

It's not with my current case. Anbd yes, it was due to a sliding motherboard tray. The last problem was with a Thermalright SI-120 on 478 board that wouldn't slide into a Lian Li PC60-Plus chassis.

No problems at all with my Cosmos and my current build!!!

Edit: So, the conclusion I guess, is to be aware of the potential increased installation difficulty if you intend to buy a case with a sliding motherboard tray and a large CPU cooler

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yea youre right coz, but since those are very isolated cases, depending on the case and cooler as well as its retention mechanism.

if the motherboard tray doesnt have enough clearance to slide in a board with a large cooler, id lock in the motherboard tray and install the motherboard and cooler directly. if that doesnt work then a person has serious problems

8. Odinarius

Odinarius New Member

Great guide guys, I`ll bookmark it if some of my friends need it in the future. So I don`t have to come over and do it for them (though I rather enjoy assembling new computers:)). Love how the pictures turned out great.

If it`s not done already, an idea for the future would be to write the guide about SILENCING the computer. I`ve just spent a lot of money and effort on killing any sounds in my case, and I imagine noise is a problem for many people, yet it`s quite simple!

If it`s done as well as this (I have no doubt it will:)), lot of people would appreciate it!

9. Boundzy

Boundzy Member

Excellent guide . . . not that I expected anything less.

When building my first system, I was more intimidated by the software than the hardware. Specifically, I was overwhelmed by all of the various drivers and unsure of in what order should I install them. Fortunately, I had the nice folks at DH to help me! :)

10. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

question. i love the guide and this will be my first pc that i will attempt to build. but in the guide it says to plug in ur power supply after installing. do i leave it plugged in the whole time or just plug it in and then unplug?

11. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

if you plug it in, but leave it switched off (<that bits important), what it does is earths the whole case, and subsequently you when you're touching the case, meaning you won't fry anything with a static discharge :)
    so plug it in and leave it plugged in for the duration. just make sure the socket is switched off.

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

welcome tonypizzle, the powersupply is to be left plugged in throughout the entire assembly procedure... if it has a switch, turn it off.

the reason for this, is to ground the chassis from any built up static electricity in your body... protecting your sensitive electronic components...

if you need any help, just ask and you will most definitely be aided. :)

13. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I'll be receiving the components to my pc on Thursday and will try to get it up and running then. I had a question though. I understand how to put all the hardware together but I am not sure what to do with the bios after I build the computer. Anybody know of a good guide or offer any tips for me when it comes to setting up the bios? thanks

14. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

unless you have problems, you dont really need to touch the bios.

15. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

don't be scared of the BIOS either, go in and have a look round :)
    so long as you don't cook anything at worst you only have to reset them.

16. Dark Lord

i wouldnt suggest touching any of hte multipliers, clock frequencies, voltages, memory timings, or anything like that unless you know what your doing.

but do go in and have a look around, no harm at all when your just looking.

17. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

thanks again for the fast replies. this has been very helpful :D. as i get closer and closer to actually doing the build i find more questions haha. i was wondering should i be plugging in my case fans to the available 3 and 4 pin ports on my mobo or connect it straight to the power supply. the thing is i have 4 fans for my case and my power supply only has 3 4-pin connectors. I have read that there are converters available to make a sata connection into two 4 pin connections. Do you think i should do that or just plug one into the mobo?

just thought of another question. what does it mean to enable to dual channel for the ram? i have two sticks of 2gb each and I was just wondering should I use it in dual channel mode?

thank you in advance for dealing with my newbie questions

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  18. Dark Lord

for the fans, im going to say plug them directly into your psu.

as for the ram, run it in dual channel.

19. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

one more question. i have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392 and I was just wondering are the screw holes that I line up for the standoffs the ones with the little markers around the hole or are they just holes? cuz i see both when i look at my motherboard. there are the ones at the corners that dont have any markers around it and then there are holes that have little silver markers around it. so i was just wondering do i use both or just the ones with the markers?

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I am not really sure I understand what you are asking, are you able to post a picture to explain what you mean? are you trying to fit a CPU cooler?

or do you mean you are mounting the motherboard into a chassis and can't find the mounting holes?

Attached Files: