Building a PC : Step by Step Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

you guys have been a big help so far. thank you so much. so i was trying to put this thing together today and i was putting in the video card and it fit but the part that i have to screw in is like half a centimeter higher than the screw hole in my case. anyone have this problem before or help me solved it?

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

sometimes large video cards jam and require reseating to go in properly..... unless the case is deformed, you probably just would want to apply a bit of force to the top of the card's bracket.... that usually fixes it

3. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

yeah i tried to push it down a bit but i mean how hard do i push? i mean when i compare the length of bracket that was originally on the case to the video card bracket. the video card bracket is about half centimeter to centimeter longer. isnt there a standard size to these things? or do some video cards just not fit in some cases?

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

whats your case?

5. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

actually after u told me that it gets jammed I went back and tried again and it worked. so thank you for that. so i plugged everything in and finished the construction but the thing wont turn on. and im thinking its a number of things right? so what do you guys think could be the problem?

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

hmm..... double check the headers for the power controls (the ones that lead to the power switch, reset button, indicator lights and possibly speaker) its pretty possible to mix these up at times... i know i tend to miss pins the first time around...

another possibility is the power cables are not inserted all the way, check the ATX 24 pin cable and the 12V 4/8 pin power cable...

something else that may contribute to the problem is the use of only 4 pins in an 8 pin power connector..... while it can work, some CPUs need more power and require the uncovering of the other 4 pins (most boards have a little black cover blocking 4 pins) and the installation of the last 4 pins for the system to have full power and boot up...

even with the most horrible components installed, a system should at least have its fans start up.... if the above doesnt work its either the motherboard or power supply

7. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

ah ok thank you. i rechecked the power switch connections and now the power to all my components work. everything turns on but i cant get anything show on my screen. the screen doesn't even turn on when i turn on my computer. could it be my mobo or my video card? the thing is i put an old video card in it but that didnt do anything either. what could it be?

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

check the memory, then the mobo.

try the system with one stick, then the other stick if that doesnt work it may be the mobo but try some other memory if possible

9. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

man i jus tried it. still didnt work. i hope its not the mobo. so the mobo could still provide power to everything and still not function?

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

hmm... other than the mobo... it could be the PSU... but... its really odd for 2 video cards to not post, and 2 different sticks of RAM to not post....

the failure rate of CPUs is incredibly low so its safe to rule that out....

can you give me the system spec in detail? somethings missing here

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Does the mobo have onboard video? Did you try hooking your monitor to that jack if it does?

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

no its based on the 770 chipset.... no video

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Okay.... the link didn't work so I didn't know what he had....

14. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

alright my spec is:

processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1 ghz

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG

Video Card: HIS Radeon 4670 DDR3 1gb

PSU: Coolermaster Elite 460 watts

Optical: Sony DVDRW

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 640gb

i think thats it. yeah i know it does seem weird that i wont post. i mean i guess it could be my motherboard? i dont know.

15. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Is the power connected to any/all Video Cards properly? I don't know how most boards react to their being insufficient power to Graphics Adapters but mine goes crazy and displays "SHUT DOWN SYSTEM CONNECT VGA POWER" in big red letters and won't post.

Also have you tried different monitors? I had a monitor die on me once and didn't even realise it until i managed to get hold of a different one and hook it up

16. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

thank you guys. i actually missed a power plug for the motherboard. i had the main one but missed the two 4 pin connectors for the 12v ATX. sigh. guess thats why im a newbie.

i do have a question though. i have a problem with static when i use my headphones and mic from the front audio ports of my case. i remember reading that this could be caused by interference through the wires of the front audio ports and you can fix it by shielding them? is that true? or did i misread it? or is that not the problem at hand at all? thanks guys. finally got this thing running!

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Everyone learned at one stage, even the hardcore overclockers. I am glad the guide came in handy and I hope you hang around the forums.

As for the static issue, can you explain a little more exactly what happens? is the static always apparent when you plug into those ports or does it 'fluctuate' at all when you jiggle the connectors in the ports?

18. tonypizzle

tonypizzle New Member

hmm ok ill try to describe the best i can. as far as i can see. it is constantly in the background but its not really static its more like a faint beeping sound? like morse code haha but not in steady rhythm or anything. also, when i use my mic for skype my friends say they can hear the same beeping noise that i hear. so im pretty sure its something from the audio ports or the wires from the ports. im not sure if that explains it fully but its the best i can think of right now. im just happy its all done :D

19. Bararo

Bararo New Member

Hello, gals and guys. First of all I would like to 'Thank you,' HardwareHeaven, for having such an excellent resource available. Second, I was wondering if it would be possible to put up a Printer Friendly version? Thank you, again, for the excellent guide!

20. iPlayer

iPlayer Filled with noobsauce

Look for 'thread tools' before the first post in each page, and select 'show printable version'.