Building computer need CPU mobo graphics and memory

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IEMC, Jun 20, 2010.

1. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I'm building a computer that's going to be mainly for gaming.

My budget is about $750 (USD) for these components (I'd like to stay at or under). Other things aren't included as I've already got that picked out.

So yes, I need:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Memory
    Graphics card

For memory I'd like to have 4 gigs.
    And I'd say I want to stick with Intel and Nvidia, but honestly if something is going to be a better bang for my buck (or offer better upgrades in the future), I'd be all for it.
    Also, with my graphics card, I'd like to get something pretty high-end. The cards I had in mind currently run around $250 on Newegg. I would drop names, but that would almost be unneeded.

Also, I need at least 2 PCI-E ports on the motherboard. I want to use my old graphics card for physics processing just for the hell of it. Also leaves open the possibility for SLI.

I haven't kept track of the hardware scene while at school, so I would really love some help.
    So far I've looked at the i5's, as I hear the i7's are unnecessary for what I need a CPU for.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. IEMC

Today I was looking at both graphics cards and CPUs, and it seems like AMD is a better bang for the buck right now.

This is what I mean when I need help, as I have no idea what's going on with these things.

3. IEMC

4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It all depends what you're gonna do with your system of course but yes, when it comes to getting most for your money that's a good choise for a CPU. The X6 is of course better but it costs a lot more as well and I don't think you'd notice that much of a difference in most games and apps today with it.

Getting the X4 965 and then upgrade when AMD releases it's coming Bulldozer CPU is a much better choise.

Exactly what Intel CPU it compares closest with is not easy to say, I know to little about Intels to really say but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. All I can say is, when it comes to gaming the AMD's compare very well with higher end Intels. The intels are better when it comes to encoding/decoding/archiving and such things. This is due to the higher memory bandwidth. Games rely more on graphics cards so system memory doesn't play as big a role in those.

So, this is the motherboard I'd suggest you pair with it:

Newegg.com - ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

It's a very good board with lots of good reviews. You have SATA3 and USB3 and it will most definately be ready for Bulldozer when it arrives. Asrock is good with that, they're fast to release BIOS updates for new CPU's, and the quality of their boards have only gotten better and better.

IEMC likes this.
  5. IEMC

Other than gaming, all's I plan on doing is working with Visual Studio and probably some Photoshop / Dreamweaver / Flash stuff.

I know Intels are good for encoding, decoding, and all that jazz. And I keep reading that AMD is just a better deal when it comes to gaming.

I do think I'm going to get the Phenom II. It just makes more sense in terms of saving money and what I'm going to use it for.
    I'll use the money I save to put into a nice graphics card.

Speaking of which, I need to pick one. I figure if I'm going with an AMD processor / setup, I might as well go with an AMD GPU. That way I can CrossfireX it if I wanted to later on.
    Because of this, I was looking at cards like the 5830 or the 5850. I'm still shopping around for those, and I still haven't decided how high I should go in terms of price.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. Liqourice

The sweetspot for a card is the 5770. It's cheap, performs very well for it's price and if you throw in a second one you'll have the performance of a 5870 for less money.

More or less anyway. I've checked on benchmarks online and in many 2 5770's perform almost the same as a single 5870. You can almost get 3 5770s for the price of one 5870 so, it's a good choise.

Not that I'm regretting the move from a 5770 to a 5870. I'm extremely happy with the it.

Many 5850's have been easily overclocked to 5870 speeds as well so, I'd say those are good choises too.

7. IEMC

I was just looking at a lot of benching between a 5870 or two 5770's, and I must say I'm very impressed.

However, the more I think about it, the more it just makes sense to buy the 5870. In the future, the price of that will go down, and I'll be able to buy another one just to keep up with new games. I can't do that with two 5770's.

I'm thinking I'll either get a 5850 or a 5830. We'll see how the rest of my hardware costs and I'll make my decision.
    I'd get a 5870 if they weren't so much. But you never know.

You're helping a lot, though, Liqourice. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I've been looking at this one-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150494

For whatever reason it's about 30 dollars cheaper than other 5850's. Is there anything fishy about that?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

9. IEMC

The 5850 is about 50 dollars more than what I'd like to buy. Idealy I spend around 250 on a graphics card, but I'd say my max is 300.

Just read into it some more, and I decided the card I linked above is right for me. Perfect price, and is going to play what I need it to.

Now I just need to pick a motherboard and a set of RAM. Any help in that area would be awesome.
    I want to spend $120 or below on RAM, and possibly around $150 for a mobo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. IEMC

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

If you are looking for a MB in the $150.00 range, then this would be the one to get:
    Newegg.com - ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

For RAM, you could go with:
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

That combo breaks your 'budget' by @ $15.00

You could go with a wee bit less aggressively timed RAM like this and still have a good performing system and be 'under budget':
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

12. IEMC

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

just a fyi.... for majority of the people i've seen considering the "well i'll just get such and such and throw in another down the road to keep up" has generally RARELY ever panned out, they have rather just went for a newer series card anyways.

AMD's x4 phenom II or intel i7 930 (or the intel socket 1156 i5/i7 are WORTH a look)

I've got both and have played with many of the intel and amd cpu recently.... and i can say.. the intel i3/i5/i7's are all amazing and the 1156 socket boards/cpus are quite cheap.

14. IEMC

I thought about this. And it's probably going to be true for me. I am, however, still getting the best I can with my money.

15. Liqourice

If you want to stay more future proof then that ASUS board is not a good choise. No SATA3 and no USB3.

If you want to keep it cheap and still have a good motherboard Asrock is the way to go.

16. IEMC

17. OldBuzzard

With the exception of the SSD and CPU cooler, that looks like a system I'd build for myself.

That SSD is going to be nice for seeing your system boot up really fast, but with it being only 30GB, you aren't going to be able to install much in the way of applications on it. You will still need a drive for applications, and those will only load as fast as the drive you put them on.

I'd recommend that you go with one of the Seagate 7200.12 drives instead. They are plenty fast, altho admittedly not as fast as an SSD, and you will have room for applications. Shucks, the 1TB Seagate 7200.12 is only $79.99 on Newegg right now.

As for cooling the CPU, I'm a big believer in Water Cooling. IF your budget has the room for it, you might want to check out the CORSAIR H-50.

18. IEMC

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever touch watercooling.

Firstly the price. I'm a uni student and it's just too expensive.
    Second I don't trust any type of liquid by my computer, let alone inside of it.

As for the hard drive. I'm reusing an older Seagate I have. While it's not quite a 7200.12, I'm sure it's fast enough to get the job done.

I'm waiting for SSD's to drop in price, then I'm going to buy a big one for games and the like.

19. OldBuzzard

Cost is why I mentioned the H-50. It's a standalone cooler for just the CPU, and is $79.99 at The Egg:
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Water cooling has come a LONG, LONG way over the years, and it's really not as scary as it used to be. Fittings, and connections are pretty foolproof now, and leakage is rare. And, for the 'paranoid', there are NON-CONDUCTIVE cooling fluids available, that won't harm your system even if the cooling loop does leak.

20. Liqourice

I second the H50, it's absolutely fabulous. Running at 3.9GHz and it doesn't go above 45C on max load here....