Building middle class gaming rig for friend

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys, it's that time of year where some people are looking to replace their aging machines. And one of my room mates wants to upgrade his, or rather, get an entirely new machine, here is the low down (all parts have been picked from newegg.ca, also, we're pulling the trigger on November 30th - Cyber Monday):

- SAMSUNG LF24T400FHNXGO 24" 1920 x 1080 4 ms (GTG) 60 Hz D-Sub, HDMI FreeSync (AMD Adaptive Sync) Professional Monitor with IPS Panel and Adjustable Design: $154.99
    - ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS Flashback, HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and Aura Sync): $289.99
    - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT BE 8GB GDDR6 PCI-E HDMI / TRIPLE DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI): $529.99
    - Seasonic FOCUS GM-750, 750W 80+ Gold, Semi-Modular, Fits All ATX Systems, Fan Control in Silent and Cooling Mode, 7 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and Various Application, SSR-750FM: $129.99
    - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor: $414.99
    - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-32GTZN: $225.99
    - Seagate FireCuda 520 M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ZP2000GM3A002: $509.99
    - WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EZRZ: 109.99
    - Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED: $79.99
    - SteelSeries QcK+ Mouse Pad: $22.99
    - Corsair HARPOON RGB PRO FPS / MOBA Gaming Mouse, Black, Backlit RGB LED, 12000 dpi, Optical: $50.56
    - Antec Gaming New Vision GX202White Black SPCC & Plastic ATX Mid Tower Entry-Level Mid Tower Gaming Case: $67.54
    - Corsair HS60 PRO SURROUND 3.5mm/ USB Connector Circumaural Gaming Headset, Yellow: $79.99
    - Creative PEBBLE PLUS Speakers: $64.21
    - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM: $23.99

Grand Total: $2817.39 (excl. taxes and shipping)

All input will be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Big no to the Thermaltake PSU. Big NO. Anyone but them.

CPU, I would bump it up to the 3300X (for the reason in the pic below).

[​IMG]

Personally though, for the budget gaming rig you are better off going Intel with the i3-10100 for $150, and pair it with the ASRock B460M PRO4. Because you are going to be getting a dedicated graphics card the Intel build will offer better gaming performance over both above AMD CPUs for roughly $10 more than the 3100, and $20 less than the 3300X.

There are 2 drawbacks going with Intel though. 1) if I recall you'll be capped at 2933mhz for the RAM (or was it 2666mhz? can't remember exactly). 2) zero overclocking potential.

I know the scores from things like PassMark show both AMD processors outpacing the Intel i3-10100 but they do so ONLY in synthetic benchmarks. I've personally had real world results showing the Intel part doing better with gaming.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  3. Calliers

Thanks for that! Will make changes right away.

Edit: all done, also the price went up just about 20 bucks which was good. Kinda sad it won't be Ryzen POWA!!!!111 But whatever's best. Also just to note, he won't be doing heavy gaming to begin with, he is somewhat of a beginner in the area, I will be taking him along the journey, which is why we're not investing anymore into this rig. He is pretty excited about it though.

The max speed that processor can support RAM wise is 2666Mhz, hence the selection of RAM.

4. Tipstaff

I noticed you changed the graphics card to a 1650 Super. Any particular reason other than it being $50 cheaper than the cheapest 5500XT? (jk.. that was probably the reason.. plus more stable drivers)

5. Calliers

Yes, cheaper, and it is more powerful than the 5500XT. :)

6. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

What happened to thermaltake?

7. Tipstaff

Did you already order the Wi-Fi card? I ask because there is a M.2 Wi-Fi slot on the board. You might be able to find a Wi-Fi 6 / Bluetooth M.2 card cheaper than the PCIe card like THIS Intel one.

The only thing that you would have to figure out is the antenna. The board only comes with the 2 SATA cables, and the screws for the M2 sockets. There are no antenna wires to run off the Wi-Fi module. You can buy wires and a base unit though to complete the connection.

Edit:
    .... come to think of it... it might cost you about the same money in total in the end.. hmm.. I'd have to do some searching for the parts to make it a cheaper solution...

dawgXdenta likes this.
  8. Tipstaff

It'd take a bit to explain the whole story, but the short of it, not only do they make a lot of crap products they also make poorly designed ones. I've replaced more Thermaltake products than I have fingers and toes.

I have a long list of crappy power supply manufacturers, and Enlight is on that list for a lot of reasons. TT power supplies are made by Enlight, and guts wise are same power supplies, only flashier, hence the reason I won't buy them. Ever.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  9. Calliers

Hmmm...I think I'll stick to the PCIe WiFi 6 card option as I don't want to have too many cables inside the case of the PC?

What do you think? And if it is the same price, PCIe is my preference.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  10. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I've been away for almost 10 years from gaming. I was just talking with Calliers how kingston used to make usb sticks now they are making quality ram & sdd nvme, storage. Thanks for the info I'll stay away from Thermaltake too

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

I once owned a Thermaltake PSU, it never gave me any problems, guess I was just lucky, but yeah that is why I thought they were decent lol. Thanks for taking the scales of our eyes.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

thermaltake .... and even enermax have a relatively recent long history of failures in several aspects of computing. I am however impressed with thermaltake's toughram as i've yet to have a single one of them bugger up and they play nice with ryzen.

Personally i've not seen a single event let alone benchmark in real world testing where a 10100 has ever been matched with a 3300x... but it often is matched or close to it with a 3100 mostly down to the frequency difference and memory advantage shown... with sometimes the 3100 edging it out.

I've only had 1x 3300x and 2 3100's... all of which were paired with 3200mhz memory.. The only significant advantage with the ryzen would be a b450 board having the capabilities of being significantly more up gradable down the road which should retain it's value far better.

I don't really have anything else to offer.

dawgXdenta likes this.
  13. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Why not just get a WiFi enabled MB?

For $15 more you can get a ASUS X570 TUF with WiFi and a Ryzen 3100... this is far and away a better platform with tons of upgrade potentional and with this board you will be able to drop in a Zen 3 CPU... Drop in PCI-e gen 4 SSD... drop in faster RAM and be able to overclock if desired....

Seriously, spend the extra $15

QB

dawgXdenta likes this.
  14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

overclocking is pointless with ryzen for the most part..... why bother with the risks... the whole point of zen is that it automatically boosts usually to it's best potential.

15. Calliers

So now I don't know what to get, a Ryzen processor or an Intel one...

And isn't a X570 board a little over kill for this build?

Edit: Ok, made some changes to the parts, my friend tells me he could spend up to $10,000 and I was like wooooaaahhhh, you don't need to spend that much to get a good PC, so we are still well within budget.

He is a casual gamer so good 1080p gaming is all he needs really.

Edit 2: Forgot to change out the memory @Tipstaff. Done and done.

And thank you everyone for your input so far.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. Tipstaff

To be honest I didn't consider the upgrade path. Just best setup for a mid-range gaming rig for around $1000. Based on that, from real world experience between the 3100 to 3300 processors vs the Intel i3-10100 the Intel part is the better choice IMO. Once you move beyond that though, that's where AMD takes over.

Also, outside of NVMe performance I have yet to see a reason to NOT buy a PCIe 3.0 system. It's not a huge loss as we still haven't topped out PCIe 3.0 bandwidth with graphics cards, and the only real gain (to date) has been NVMe SSDs that has benefited... where a drive that has bandwidth support that goes beyond that of PCIe 3.0 comes into play, or multiple drives in RAID0 that soak up bandwidth benefit from the extra PCIE lanes.

And 2666mhz vs 3200mhz RAM.. it's another minor thing that would more than likely not be noticed. If it's the same price for 3200mhz ram, or cheaper, sure, why not buy the faster RAM, but otherwise... meh. Irrelevant IMO.

Having said all that, with the increase in budget Cal has and the parts he's chosen, personally I'd say stick with the revised build as is. Other than some minor parts is basically the rig I would recommend to clients.

@Calliers just remember that you can drop the TP-Link add-in card now as the mobo has an onboard wi-fi module.

17. Calliers

Thank you for that interjection @Tipstaff. Yes the RAM @3200Mhz was actually cheaper by about a dollar. My room mate told me if he can he doesn't want to go too crazy for this build as he won't be gaming on it a lot, just casually. I agree with you the rig as is now is perfect for him, plus offers a lot of upgrade path for the future.

I remembered to remove the TP Link PCIe card from the list on newegg.ca but forgot to remove it here, thanks for pointing that out. Otherwise everything else is all butter. I think he will be very happy with his new machine. And you can rest assured I'm going to do my best to turn him into a hard core gamer. :D

18. Tipstaff

LOL... our posts are out of sync.. oh well.

Let's be honest: once he actually gets into gaming on this new rig that whole "I'm a casual gamer" thing will go poof. I guarantee it. ;)

Calliers likes this.
  19. Calliers

You have to remember he's in his 50s so it may be a bit harder to change his stripes, but change them I will.

I've already got my best friend into gaming although all he will only play fighting games like Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, etc. He's 56. So I know I can change my other room mate's perspective too. :cool:

20. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I read the title as "Building Middle Life Crisis Gaming Rig".
    I thought, he is still in his 30s.

Anyway, I can't give specific hardware input as I don't stay in touch with what is going on , not too much anyway.

Why AMD GPU?
    Is he going to stream ? If yes, As far as I am concerned, Nvidia (Turing and later) only for that. The difference in video quality is astonishing.
    If not, I don't know, I would still not get one as I hear nothing but trouble with drivers which take a couple of years to fix them etc. Still, no first hand experience with them for years now.

Going for a 6 core CPU is a huge huge NO today. Don't go for anything less than 8 core 16 thread. He will suffer with new games . Suffer.

DVDRW? I already like this guy.
    Although if it is for backup reasons, ffs get a bluray writer. 4.5GB is nothing.