Building middle class gaming rig for friend

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

He has a bunch of DVD movies he would like to watch...other than that he won't really be burning much stuff.

As for the processor, I guess I could change that to an 8 core.

AMD GPU because G-Sync monitors cost an arm and a leg. They have pretty much sorted out most of the issues with the drivers for the RX5700XT now anyway. If you pair the extra cost of a G-Sync monitor with the extra cost of a Nvidia GPU, things get pricey pretty quick.

Otherwise thanks for that, especially the processor thing. :)

Edit: It's more like a high end machine now lol!

@Tipstaff what do you have to say about the processor change, 8 core much better? We can take the price hit of just about 200 more....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

fyi.... nvidia supports freesync displays... you'll notice.. specially LG.. basically relabled all freesync displays as g-sync compatible.

Tipstaff likes this.
  3. Calliers

But isn't that just the second version of Freesync?

4. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I don't see any spinning rust on the list. 1TB of NVMe will not last long. A nice HDD will go a long way. Also if you need to shave some cost PCIe gen 3 NVMe is more than enough for today... I would even say that the price premium for gen 4 is not really worth it right now.

QB

Calliers likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. However, I don't think the 24" monitors are on the compatible list yet. 27" and up plus some OLED TVs if I recall. Mind you Nvidia adds compatible monitors all the time, so they might add the 24EA430V-B to the list at some point.

@Calliers Upgrade to a 3700X? If you can afford it, sure. Just realize that they are pretty much the same CPU (with the exception that the 3700X has 200mhz faster boost clock) until you start getting into the core counts. By that I mean, if you are using software that runs better with more CPU cores then obviously that's when the extra 2 cores on the 3700X come in handy. That's when you will start seeing the FPS gains the 3700X affords you.

6. Calliers

I know a game that uses 8 cores surprisingly well for example is Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and we will be playing that game, as I have it and rather enjoy it, I'm sure he will too.

Otherwise yeah it is AMD all the way for the processor and GPU.

7. Calliers

I'll add a cheap but good HDD to the mix, was thinking on it. Good spot.

Edit: okay, I've also changed the system m.2 SSD to a PCIe 4.0 2TB drive, he should have more space for games and speed specific programs now.

8. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Since we keep adding more to the cost, is there any reason why we are skimping on the PSU? I am sure a nice modular 80+ Gold or better can be found.

My suggestion would be to scrap the gen 4 SSD... Get 2TB gen 3 and get a better rated modular power supply

QB

9. Calliers

Great thinking, like I said, money is not an object here, although my friend is a MAJOR penny pincher, if he doesn't need to spend on something he won't spend on it. I'll upgrade the PSU now to a nicer one. If I sit him down and explain why every part is needed he will go for it, he may be tight but he is sensible.

10. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

btw, I added to my above Post.... Using the phone is not the best way to post, LOL

QB

11. Calliers

Well sem-modular is fine, and I am sitting down with him now, will let you know what we come up with.

Edit: Ok @QB71, sat down with him and he approved all the changes, he was out all this time which is why I couldn't before, but he says the price increase of about 1000 is fine.

I am wondering, don't you trust in Seasonic PSUs? I thought they made some of the best PSUs out there?

12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I trust Seasonic, I trust Corsair... But I also only look at 80+ Gold or better when cost is not factor.

As a side note... Come Nov 30th, nothing will be the same. More Ampere availability, Zen 3, and RDNA2... EVERYTHING will change.

QB

13. Calliers

Lol. :D

Re-read the op, we are pulling the trigger November 30th on Cyber Monday. Most of the prices and some of the stuff on the list are place holders.

It is very likely we will go for a 5000 series processor too.

Edit: The RX6800XT will be an option on the table as well. Considering he's going for 1080p gaming this may not be needed at all.

Like wise we might just keep the same parts and absorb a lower price, which will be welcomed. We'll see what is best value.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  14. Tipstaff

There's only good things ahead if you can wait. RDNA2 cards, and 5000 series AMD Ryzen (although Ryzen CPUs will be priced $50+ higher than current 3000 series).

15. Calliers

$50 dollars higher we can do. The lowest in the RX6000 series of cards may be $50 dollars less than the RX5700XT, if it is then we may go for that.

He doesn't really seem to care how expensive it is, as long as it is less than about 3k.

16. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Good read guys

17. Calliers

We aim to please! :p

18. Tipstaff

Pricing for the graphics cards, that I'm not sure of. CPU wise, that I do know will be priced higher than the current CPUs. It's AMD's new price point for the Ryzen. And from what we've seen in the performance of the new CPUs.. worth it IMO. The 5600X is killing it in the early benchmarks.

Besides, it's what.. 1 more week for Zen 3 CPUs, and 2 weeks for the RDNA2 video cards, isn't it? I mean, it's not like waiting 3-4 (or 5) months for Intel's 11th Gen.

19. Calliers

Yeah don't worry, we will wait. I mentioned in the original post that we were waiting for at the least November 30th, Cyber Monday, things will come down around then, not including the 5000 series CPU or the RX6800XT video card. But we're definitely gunning for a 5000 series Ryzen 7 and a RX6800XT which should bring the price to ~$3000.

20. Tipstaff

Just like with the Nvidia cards the AMD RDNA2 cards will be scarce, at first. CPU wise the Ryzen, I don't we'll have the same shortage for those, so getting them will be easier.... I hope.