Building my first HTPC

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Hey guys, I'm building my first ever HTPC (was thinking of building my little bro a PC but the card I got is too under powered so just decided to throw it in a HTPC), now I don't need it to be terribly powerful. Here's what I'm going with so far:

- Palit Nvidia GeForceĀ® GTX 950 StormX Dual 2048MB GDDR5 (thanks Hardware Heaven!)
    - G.SKILL AEGIS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9S-8GIS: $45.99
    - GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0) AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard: $69.99
    - AMD FX-4350 Vishera Quad-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W FD4350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor: $129.99
    - DIYPC P48-W White Computer Case w/ 2 x 120mm Blue Fans: $64.99
    - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive: $64.99
    - EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR 80 PLUS Bronze 500W Active PFC ATX12V v2.31/EPS 12V v2.91 Power Supply: $69.99
    - Tt eSPORTS Challenger Prime Backlit Gaming Keyboard: $45
    - Microsoft JR9-00011 Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows: $65

Grand Total: $555.94 (note that everything was pulled from www.newegg.ca and some of the prices above include shipping)

I hope the card I got has HDMI so I can hook it up that way, it should right? I mean it's a Nvidia GTX 950, not really powerful but it is a DX12 card.

I will be doing some light gaming on this HTPC, the likes of League of Legends and Rocket League.

For a screen I will be using my LG 48" HD TV so yeah, that's about it. I already have a spare HDMI cable.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

even if the card doesn't have an HDMI port right on the board, HDMI tends to be supported right through the DVI port with audio and everything.

as for the parts, it all looks pretty good to me man

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

So what you are saying is that I can get a DVI to HDMI cable?

Edit: looks like no such cable exists, I'll just have to go VGA in that case if there isn't HDMI on the card.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Thanks for that post Dyre, I will definitely update this post as I purchase parts for my HTPC, as it's not something I really need I've opted to buy 3 parts a month just to spread out my spending a little.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00NH11X64

theres cables like that but i cannot say for sure if audio over HDMI would be supported. I always used the adapters that come with the card in those cases.

The situations where I was able to have audio out of the DVI port were relatively older cards that came with only two DVI ports and an HDMI adapter.. where sticking HDMI ports directly on the card wasnt as common place as it is now but the HDMI worked fully

As far as the current situation however, i dont think ive seen a latest generation card that DOESN'T have HDMI right on the board unless its a crazy form factor.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Well the video card arrives later today (it's early 3 in the morning here right now and I'm going to hit the hay, I'm not sure what time but all my deliveries tend to be by around the end of the day as I live out by the airport) so we'll see soon enough what ports it's got. I'm sure it's got an HDMI port all the same.

For some reason I'm getting really geared up to use this HTPC to play and finish my back log of games that I just haven't started as I have a TONNE of Steam games I haven't either played yet or finished at all. The fact that I'm going to treat it like a console (using a gamepad instead of a mouse and keyboard to play games) makes me want to play those games, don't know why but when I'm at my daily driver PC it's like there's no fun in playing games anymore. If I get a bunch of games done then I'll definitely spring for a more powerful HTPC next time round, but for now the games I have should keep me happy.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You mean to tell us that the BIG PS4 FAN is going to actually play some PC games?! Watch out! You might get hooked! :D

Calliers likes this.
  9. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I have two of those cables, they do exist... I'm not sure where you'd buy them in your area... but they're easy to get hold of here. Try ebay if you don't have luck elsewhere.

But... I'd expect the GTX950 to have HDMI on the card... I've had 2x 970s, 2x 980s and 2x Titan Xs... they all had HDMI on the card itself.

Every GPU I've had since 2007-2008 has had HDMI on the card, even a little GT750 I just bought for my home server rebuild.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

If I need the cables then there's always Amazon or Newegg. Doubt I'll need one though.

11. Calliers

This will be the -perfect- solution for me once it comes out (I hope it will be within the next month or two) for my HTPC as I usually sit on the couch when I game in the TV room, although I might get a game pad at some point too for certain games (like beat em ups and racing games). Then I could play League of Legends on the big screen! :D It comes with the mouse included.

[​IMG]

12. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I'm waiting on delivery of an Nvidia Shield TV to do something similar... but streaming :)

I played South Park: The Stick of Truth on my HTPC, though :D

Calliers likes this.
  13. Calliers

The video card has arrived! Thanks Hardware Heaven! It's a Palit Nvidia GeForceĀ® GTX 950 StormX Dual 2048MB GDDR5 and yes it does have an HDMI port on it. :)

[​IMG]

Dyre Straits likes this.
  14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It's extremely rare even for a low profile card in a the lower end models today to not have HDMI output without specifically buying a model with a VGA output, and even then... it's usually the VGA that is the "add-on" with the existing hdmi and dvi port.... Display port is becoming pretty common too.

Frankly I'd be satisfied if they abandon DVI/VGA entirely... slap a single HDMI port along with a minimum of 3x DP ports.... and for lower models.. a single DVI with a single hdmi and a single DP would be more than sufficient.. make the DVI port act as a legacy port with a DVI~>VGA adapter included... OTHERWISE .... a single HDMI port, with a HDMI ~> DVI port adapter OR a DP~> dvi/VGA adapter seeing as one of the DP ports on most cards does have the necessary clock generator required to run dvi and vga displays.

15. Calliers

Do any of you think I should maybe wait for AMD's latest processor family since they just released their server side processors?

16. Calliers

I'm skipping buying this HTPC and stepping up my silver purchases instead, the world economy has finally started to crumble and everyone who invests is being advised to buy gold and nothing else as of now. This is my last push to get as much of my money into silver as I can, and I suggest anyone else who is interested in saving themselves do the same. Sorry for throwing the thread off topic but you should watch this video and decide for yourself.

17. Calliers

Ah what the hell, I'll get the HTPC anyway, might as well go into the financial apocalypse smiling and gaming, lol. I have enough silver anyway.

18. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

htpc or silver... neither are ideal for consuming.... at least a htpc will kind of help for keeping you warm...

Calliers likes this.
  19. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

If I were to build a new HTPC now that I wanted to play some lighter games on I'd go for a mid-range AMD A-series CPU and run a closed water cooler on it. A HTPC should be as quiet as possible with preferably no fan noise at all. I would advise you to skip the gaming bit and focus only on the media and get even less power consuming hardware to make it possible to run dead silent at all times. It's really not fun to watch a movie with a high pitch fan in the background. Even playing 3D blu-ray doesn't require that fast a cpu or gpu, a low-range A-series does a great job at it and you will only have one piece of hardware that needs cooling.

So, I'd save money on an APU instead of a GPU/CPU-combo and use that money to get a good silent cooler instead. My HTPC that I have now and that's a few years old is to noisy, I've learned my lesson. :)

Calliers likes this.
  20. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

I built a fanless HTPC... based on an i3 4XXX series... does a great job and the case from Streacom works well :)

Calliers likes this.