Burning .avi data files to DVD... ?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Cyan007, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Cyan007

Cyan007 New Member

I recently decided that instead of burning AVI files to CD I would burn them to DVD seeing as how I can fit a lot more on them. Well, I recently went through and burned somethings, the problem is when you play them back, I guess there's frame loss and syncing issues when trying to watch them?

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem or knows of the "correct" way to burn AVI files as data to DVD just so use as storage.

Thanks.

2. knvvsslknv

knvvsslknv New Member

.avi files stored on data-dvd

I had the same problem. I could not open the .avi files, stored on a data DVD, by Windows Media Player neither by Media Player Classic. However VLC Media Player did the job. You could try it http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

3. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

Well I came on the site today to ask about that same question. Well my question is how do you burn AVI files to DVD? Right now I don't care what the quality is I just want to know how you do it. I record a lot of Family Guy shows from my ATI tv tuner and I would like to know how you do it making it play back on a dvd player. Also doing it a correct way so you don't lose anything would also be nice.

Thanks

4. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

You can just burn them as a data disk, and play them back with media player classic with the klite mega pack...works great for me...make sure the avi doesn't have sync issues prior to burning. If I actually convert an avi to dvd, I use winavi 6.3...it's been great and works fast as well.

5. ttranmgl

ttranmgl New Member

Hello everybody,

I have no problems in burning avi files as a data dvd, however, I got a problem when playing them back on TV. After burning, we have a list of avi files on the dvd in the correct order that we wanted them to be played back from the first file to the last file.

When actually being played back in a normal dvd and out put to the TV, it start playing in the middle of the list first. For example, we have 10 avi files on the dvd in the following order like

f1.avi
    f2.avi
    f3.avi
    f4.avi
    f5.avi
    f6.avi
    f7.avi
    f8.avi
    f9.avi
    f10.avi

When played back, it played with the following order:

f6.avi
    f7.avi
    f8.avi
    f9.avi
    f10.avi
    f1.avi
    f2.avi
    f3.avi
    f4.avi
    f5.avi

This is undesirable, since the movie start with f1.avi, and end with f10.avi.

Does anybody have some solution to this problem?
    Thanks.

6. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

HOLY CRAP old thread lol...

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

No kidding, eh? Oh well.

Not too sure if this will help, as each DVD player that supports AVI/DIVX playback can play them back differently, but you may want to try renaming them in a more "Windows" explorer convention. So, try renaming them as so: f01.avi through f09.avi, and then leave the rest as they are (f10.avi, f11.avi, and so on). What I can't understand is why it starts playing at f6.avi though, unless there is some information within the file that the DVD player is reading that is effecting the playback order.

I guess the question would be, when you play back the f6.avi file within Windows, what shows up as the name of the file being played within Windows Media Player? Is it close to the same name as f1.avi, or is it different/longer?

8. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Rename them, straight numerical naming is not the best strategy as some things will re-order them. I either use f001, f002...f010, or I go alpha and use fa, fb, fc....fj as there is less chance of them being reordered that way.

Windows reorders things occasionally and I know that Nero does it sometimes too...PITA!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008