Buying a new computer need some opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Y2Stu, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Y2Stu

Y2Stu Member

With my student loan coming in a few weeks (hopefully sooner then later :D) I thought to myself I'm going to treat myself to a brand new computer. I don't often upgrade my computer so I tend to buy a new one every so many years.

I have a budget between £1000 and £1200 (Max) I'm going to need the full system as well a monitor as my 19" wide-screen at the moment is dying (ghosting and dead pixels). The only thing I'll be keeping out of my old machine is the 2 IDE hard drives as these will be used for extra storage for my music and pictures etc...

I'm a pretty heavy gamer, with the use of general office applications, web browsing, music playing and image editing.

I logged onto ebuyer.com and with what limited knowledge of what I thought/think is good, I came up with this list.

[​IMG]

This is where I need some help, for a guy like myself who is studying IT (well im studying the network side of it :)) im pretty far behind on what's new technology and what is good in terms of quality and speed.

Thanks

P.S - I'm from the UK so it would be needed to be from a UK on-line retailer and I don't mind shopping on different websites to order different parts for this computer.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

4. Rizen

Rizen New Member

Alright I don't post much but having a similar system i figured i would add my 2 cents

I have this motherboard trust be you would not be disappointed
    Asus Crosshair III Formula

and I Would recomend this for cooling
    Corsair H50
    Better cooling equals better overclocking be it AMD or Intel (I don't got this but from all the reviews i have read it should out perform any air cooler for not a whole lot of extra cash)

And somebody correct me if i am wrong but i do believe if you don't put equal amounts of ram into each channel of a dual channel mother board it will run as a single channel, which results in a performance hit. so it may be better to go with 4 gigs or 8 gigs of ram rather than 6.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I advise against getting a 1920x1080 monitor. Go for a 16:10 resolution. If you need the 1920, then go for a monitor with 1920x1200 resolution.
    If you plan on keeping the same PC for 3 years and you don't need that high resolution, I would consider going for a smaller resolution monitor and save money.
    Yes, I know it isn't exactly the most expensive item in your list.
    But, seriously, don't get a 16:9 monitor.

6. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

I'd wait a month or two before pulling the trigger on an i5 build if you can. Prices are out of control and should normalize soon. The new stuff is always sold at an inflated price at first.

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I would definately go with Intel here...the i7 is smashing stuff :) But the AMD 955 is a similar performance to the i5 750 I believe..so it's really up to you.

I'm waiting for prices to drop on the i7 870 :x

8. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

You are going to be waiting for along time Isaak for that price to come down and to the OP processor wise go for something tried and tested like Z said in the beginning the 955 Be looks pretty solid :)

9. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

I advise to change Maxtor HDD with some WD or Seagate, because my experience with Maxtor hdd's is very bad. (noisy, shortlife, performance...etc).
    This is just the advise, nevermind if you think different about maxtor.
    Best regards,
    asedsa

10. Y2Stu

Y2Stu Member

Thanks for the quick comments, What are the views on an I5 vs. AMD 955? I put together the I5 components from Kris23 list (cheers mate)

[​IMG]

is there anything you would change on that?

P.S - I thank everyone for your comments and taking time out to reply.

11. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Everything seems great and powerful,

good luck !

12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Apart from trading the thermal paste for Arctic Silver I'd say it's pretty much there.

13. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

For high resolution/quality gaming, there really isn't going to be any diffeerence between the two. In fact they will perform as well as the i7 965 EE at 1900x1200 and up.

Note the benchmarks in this review of the PhII X4 955
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition review - TechSpot

Now there other applications where the Intel processors are CLEARLY superior, but if you aren't going to be using applications that take advantage of that superiority, and have no clear 'brand preference', then go for price/performance.

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I would agree with oldbuzzard for games and quite a lot of functionality there is no 'real world' discernable differences between an intel i7 and a high end phenom X4.

I have been actually testing this theory for a few weeks when I get some downtime and game time. I have been using an intel 965EE for months and I deliberately switched over to a phenom II X4 965 black edition at 3.4ghz and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference, even with Quad core intensive games such as Grand Theft Auto 4. This is running at stock clocks.

Obviously when doing benchmarking the differences are clear but the price differences between the CPUs are massive. (obviously you could opt for a 920 and overclock if you so wished). I have to say that im so long in this industry that I am utterly bored of synthetic benchmark results when in fact in real world terms its virtually meaningless.

personally I am a huge fan of the Phenom II black editions and you really can't go wrong with any of the new quad cores.

15. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yea the AMD camp is excellent... only reason i threw the i5 up was because it was generally cheaper than the AMD alternative that the OP shown (surprisingly). it also has that *tiny* bit of performance advantage and is more efficient per clock and is more power efficient....

both camps produce amazing chips.... i still am in awe at how the AMD Phenom II 550 pretty much took down the E8400 for almost half the price..... they're definitely coming up...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  16. Y2Stu

Y2Stu Member

I posted the same setup on Neowin forums and one member replied saying i didn't need a huge power supply like i chosen. He recommended a 620w one. Is that enough for a system like the AMD or the i5 (still not chosen yet lol, thinking of going AMD, as my old machine is AMD atm)

17. Trusteft

Why would you want to go to a 620W one? Is saving a few pounds really worth the trouble if something goes wrong and ending up, at best, buying another PSU? If you are going to do something, do it right.

18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Since you are saying 620W, I'm assuming that he was referring to the Corsair 620HX.

If that is the case, he's absolutely right. The 620HX would handle that system with room to spare. It would most likely handle a crossfire setup as well, but that would be pushing it a bit. I have a 620HX and it doesn't hardly break a sweat running my system (see specs).

IF you are thinkng that you might possiblely be upgrading to a Crossfire setup in the future, then the new 750HX would be a better choice.

One thing to remember with Corsair PSUs. They are rated at Max CONTINIOUS output @50C, not max PEAK @ 25C. There is a HUGE difference in those two ratings.

Ask Z about the PSUs he tried for that 'obscene' Skulltrail system he had running, and what finally worked :D

19. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

What does that exactly mean? I'm (already) looking for setting up a system myself, for study intentions like the OP.
    I'm gonna study Architecture, so I would need some performance while keeping price to a minimum.. But as I need it in February, I thought I'd look around in January again to see what new goodies hit the market.. and prices for today's hot stuff should have dropped by then..
    But the PSU has always been one of the things I can never understand. What is good, what brand should I take and what to avoid, what wattage do I need... etc. etc. I'm learning a lot from the reviews on here, but I'm still at a loss as everything looks alike, to me.
    I don't intend to hijack this thread, but I think this is a question where both the OP and I could benefit in knowing the answer.

20. Trusteft

Well, the PSU (and the monitor, but let's talk about the PSU here) is perhaps the hardware you do not want to buy the cheapest you can. Why? Because the life of the rest of your PC depends on it. Everything in the case is at risk of failing or frying if there is something wrong with the PSU. It's like buying a car and buying seating belts made of toilet paper. It doesn't matter how cool the car looks or what performance it can get, if there is a problem while running, you are dead if you rely on the tp.
    For me any PSU that costs less than £80 is just not worth even considering.
    As for brands...I never had problem with (expensive) models of Thermaltake, I hear Corsair are good and so are BFG. But it is not my strong point.

Paying less than £1.5 per 10W is a mistake IMO.