Buying my dad a stereo

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by blibbax, Nov 26, 2016.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Hi all, long time no see.

My dad likes to listen to music and radio around the house, but he's still mostly using knackered old portable stereos.

I'd like to get him something that'll let him use Spotify and FM radio, and includes a decent set of speakers in a reasonably compact package (so he can move it between the kitchen and living room easily).

The main catch is that it needs to be self contained rather than operated from his phone - because his phone is a Blackberry and I understand the Spotify app for Blackberry requires Spotify premium, which he won't have at least for now. He's also not that tech savvy and won't want to faff around with his phone to get some music playing.

Does anything like this exist?

TL;DR Are there any portable stereos that run Spotify natively rather than via a phone, or do I need to get him a cheap tablet as well?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If i recall right, DeWalt or Milwakee started making more self contained little stereos that i will tell you right now.. are NOT cheap at all, but they are extremely durrable and pump out some very good tunes at a distance (plus some are battery powered if you don't have power available).

The adoption and inclusion of spotify or other streaming services are still relatively new, obviously home amplifiers/receivers in the midrange/higher end typically have this functionality as an option, but portable stereos of any kind of quality or anything reasonable for the price paid are hard to come by.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Shame, I suspected as much.

If I do end up going with a tablet+stereo combination or something to use with his current phone, what portable stereos would you recommend with:
    • CD player
    • FM radio
    • Bluetooth and/or wifi and/or stereo input
    Ideally I'd be looking in the £40-£80 range.

Battery power isn't important btw, there'll always be a plug socket nearby.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You should just get him a cheap tablet and a sound bar. No?

blibbax likes this.
  5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Perhaps, yeah. In that case, I'm also interested in sound bar recommendations :p

6. Calliers

Ok, well I know they aren't cheap, but Bose soundbars are the best, since you can't get him a Bose then maybe go for a Panasonic. You can get one for as little as 100 CAD here, with a built in sub. I'm sure you should be able to find one over there.

Make sure it has bluetooth or you've got a plan to connect it to the tablet though first but I'm sure that goes without saying.

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Actually, Bose is one brand I will always 100% avoid :p

Just like Beats, they're notorious for marking up mid range hardware at high end prices.

I'll look into Panasonic, though, thanks.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

He wants to use Spotify or you want him to use it?
    Because if you take spotify out of the picture, it becomes much easier to find something.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I ordered a House of Marley Get Together Bluetooth speaker during Cyber Monday. Was on sale for $169 instead of $249 (CAN). I pick it up tomorrow. Along with Bluetooth (with A2DP & aptX btw) it also has an aux in. I almost went for the Bose Soundlink Mini, but from the reviews I've seen on the Marley GT, it's supposed to be rather good, so I couldn't pass up on the deal. Even the GT Mini is supposedly good too, as is the Liberate, although it's mostly made for mid tone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  11. Calliers

I would have still gone for the Bose, but I hope that speaker does right by you.

12. Tipstaff

I almost did buy the Bose, but I missed the sale. Glad I did as this thing is amazing.

It's so good that I'm thinking of getting either the GT Mini for work, or going for the Bag of Riddim 2 which Best Buy has on sale for $120 off until tomorrow... same price as the GT Mini. Only issue with it is it's too big for work. Like, Ghetto Blaster big. The GT is just a bit too big for my desk space, so the GT Mini would fit perfectly.

13. Calliers

[​IMG]

14. Tipstaff

[​IMG]

Calliers likes this.
  15. Calliers

Nice. I like. :)

16. Tipstaff

What you don't see is that there are 2 bass ports on each side, and the carrying case has holes for them too as well as a pouch for storage.

[​IMG]

That at it's regular price is $250 US, and the GT usually sits at $179 US (that's $300 and $250 here). That might be to expensive for blibbax, but there are 3 other options: the GT Mini which usually goes for $130-$150 US (@ $150 it's not worth it though.. too close in price to the bigger GT), the Riddim which is usually $110 US (small rectangular box with a built in leather strap for a handle), and the Liberate which is usually $70 US (it's the odd duck of the bunch looks wise).

Price wise I'd consider the Liberate, but sound wise I'd go with the GT Mini if you can get it for the $130 price.

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

He wants to use something that allows him access to as broad as possible a music collection online, without having to pay per album/track.

I've actually ended up getting him a Google Chromecast - I realise it's way outside of the original brief, but I realised he has decent HDMI TVs in the relevant rooms, and he's recently switched to a fairly high end Android phone (still Blackberry branded).

I really think you should check out some proper audio expert sites (e.g. head-fi.org), before you consider purchasing a Bose or Beats product ever again. You recommending Bose on here is like when your uninitiated relative buys a graphics card based on VRAM alone :p

Calliers, Tipstaff and Trusteft like this.