Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 17, 2007.
The game arrived, one DVD. Haven't tried it yet, bit busy.
BUT, it has starforce? Say it ain't so!
I got mine yesterday! I am also not happy that the game uses starforce. I will play the game through, but afterwards it's getting uninstalled along with starforce...
StarForce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
StarForce is an invasive protection system which installs rootkit-level drivers. It has been cited as causing problems relating to EIDE mode fallback, up to possible device failure.
On the subject of law suits...: reader comment from Stonor Eagle - CNET News.com
Yep, got mine on Monday, started playing...seems pretty cool so far aside from the Starforce junk.
Got mine today, but after seeing the SF notes, I will not install it just to see if it is any different from the evaluation copy I played through many many many many months ago. This game is actually quite old. Is this release any different than the one that has been out for ages (other than DX10)?
I was under the impression that most games that have starfoce also include it with their demo, so you might already have it.
I got my copy on Tuesday. Approaching the gold deadline at work though, so I haven't gotten to it yet.
has any one had their system hard lock, then have the video card shut down, and the system then reboot its self?
happened twice to me so far. im rather reluctant to continue playing.
Got mine Many thanks to Driverheaven.
Nope, SF free here. I didn't say I used the demo, I had an evaluation copy.
Boycott Starforce If you want to check out why some people hate SF.. it isn't on that games list yet, but I guess they are just late putting it on there.
Oh wait- I guess only some European copies have Starforce?
TweakGuides.com - Call of Juarez Tweak Guide
Yup, apparently we got the (free) shaft. Got my StarForce'd copy today in Texas.
Hooray. I'll be interested to see if it's just a bunch of FUD, or if I see the wrath of SF.
Just checked it with A-Ray Scanner----SF dectected!!!:sigh:
Got my copy today. Thanks a lot DriverHeaven!!
I'd like to say I'm going to be playing it right away, but I got Halo 3 the other day and it's going to take up my gameplay time.
That and, of course, a huge STARForce "Checking disc..." prompt pops up for 20 seconds or so every time you start the game. Fun! :wtf:
Add to that there are no cracks to get rid of SF on COJ, since a very small minority of them are STARForce'd.
And I experienced (as usual) disappointing Vista/DX10 performance. Uninstalled. (Fastest uninstall ever?)
I'm having way too much fun with World in Conflict right now to warrant messing with this subpar game's problems.
I just checked, I was sure I didn't have it, but it looks like I do have starforce installed. So, I will install the game soon.
I've received my copy of COJ yesterday!
Big thanks to DriveHeaven for it.
Too bad because of this Starforce protection on it :-(
got my CoJ today, but im a lil reluctant installing with starforce in it.
anyways, thanks DH & Ati!!!
OK, tried it, looks good.
I haven't downloaded any patch yet.
No problems so far with the newer starforce (as I said earlier I have older versions anyway)
1) There is one thing I seriously do not like. There is a sound, like it is a bird or small animal that is following you and whenever I turn to look at the direction of the sound it stops. Almost like I am being watched/followed. Is this normal? It is very distracting.
2) It is the first game that forced me to reduce details. I turned shadows to medium and their size (whatever that is) to 1024. Running at 1920x1200. The game looks good (I am in Hope), but I wouldn't call it breathtaking. BTW, the manual is a joke for finding out the options and their meaning. Shadow size: You can change the shadow size. (no shit!)
3) I love the voice actors, they don't sound like they are reading their lines and are in a hurry to leave.
4) The whip is cool.
5) In the main menu it shows 2 women, one is suzy I think, the other is a blonde, don't know who she is but damn she is pretty, even for computer graphics.
6) The character models are very nice.
I am in episode IV now. The game keeps getting better and better. Graphics included.
While I was in a town it felt like I was in a spaghetti western. Very cool feeling.
If you haven't tried the game yet, do so!
Separate names with a comma.