Calling all Xbox 360 owners! - worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 6, 2005.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

So what do you guys think? (the lucky ones who managed to snag one anyway).

Now you have had some time with it..... worth the money? anyone actually tried it in HDTV mode?

Id love to hear your comments.

2. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

Having visited the local retail chains, I must say it looks nothing short of AMAZING on a 46"(42, 46, somethin in there) Samsung DLP TV :drool:

Cabling for it is prohibitively expensive, however ($5 and up per foot for the HD stuff, and $3.75 a foot for S-Video)

On a more happy note, the damned things plug into ANYTHING...iPod, 4-port USB replicators, etc.

Anyone here who has one(my friend refuses to bring hsi over, since we still have his gamecube and won't give it back :lol: ) try a jump drive yet....and I mean in the sense of rigging it to be a hard drive for save games/content....is it possible?

3. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Uhh... I held the controller if that means anything. It's a fantastic controller, in my opinion. If I didn't own 2 USB -> PS2 converters and 2 GC to USB converters.. I'd spend $50 CAD for the XBox 360 controller.

The greatest thing about the controller is its ability to adapt to almost any genre of gaming thrown at it. Unlike the 2 generations of controllers from Nintendo and their upcoming Revolution controller.

As for the XBox360 itself, if you take a gander of the lineup and you enjoy the games there, it would be worth it. Otherwise, I'd wait for the 2nd wave or 3rd wave of games. Oh and HDTV mode is a (near) requirement to experience what the console has to offer.

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

The Dell 2405 is HDTV capable, should look nice on that.

5. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

I thought that there would be more people posting than this. :(

The video of the xbox crashing, the graphics didn't look any better than what we have on PC now.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

My son got his XBOX 360 the day it came out. He's been really pleased with it and is using it at his store on a 52 inch wide screen. Everyone who plays with it is amazed.

I have the controller for my PC and got it at EB Games for $39.99 US. It is a dandy controller for sure.

7. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I was impressed the first time i saw it (playing CoD2) but that was before my 6800gt, now today i played kong and the alising was pretty bad, The wooden boards in the camp i started out in were sooo jaggy, makes me happy i chose the video card, 3 processors and no anti aliasing on the gfx card? we are not impressed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  8. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

So you can just buy the controller and plug it in your pc nothing else needed? If thats the case I just might have to buy one because it is a nice controller!

Zardon maybe you will have to get a xbox360 and mod it like you did with the first one :).

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

So the controller works on PC? Cool, I'll pick one up then.

10. Dyre Straits

To all:

Yes, the XBOX 360 Controller is a USB controller and plugs right into my XP machine. XP recognizes it and installs the drivers for it. Simple as that. :)

I've been using it mostly for HALO, but trying to learn it for other games, too, in order to make it easier to go from PC to Xbox.

EDIT: Here's how it shows up in Device Manager:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Remember guys... some of the games that WERE NOT Designed for the xbox360 aren't going to look pretty... alot of games are still being produced.. designed for the PS2... (lowest graphics quality/power of the 4 consoles out there). King Kong is.. imo.... a pretty damn sad game graphics wise..... and expect to crash alot as it's made by ubisoft... :p

anycase, IF you pick up a xbox360.. get a true XBOX 360 game designed to take advantage of it... Project Gotham Racing 3 i think should be one of the titles that makes heavy use of the 360.. but like any new console... the initial games will not take every advantage.. they'll be rather unoptimised... Run great.. look great.. but the new generation of games (2nd gen for xbox360) will have some pretty apparent enhancements.

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

just to illustrate what judas said...

[​IMG]
    Midnight club street raceing. one of the first games to come out for the PS2.

[​IMG]
    midnight club 3, one of the more recent games to come out.

13. Judas

erm.. even going from midnight club 1 to 2 showing the difference on the PS2..

14. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

I got my xbox360 on launch day and I'm very pleased with it. I got Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Madden 06. I also got the play and charge kit and the VGA Cable and have the 360 hooked up to my 19" LCD monitor. Unlike all the rumors I read online about problems, I have had no problems with my console, and Major Nelson had some words a short time ago about issues.
    Get one! Just don't buy one from the ebay fools :lol:

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

One thing about the storage: while you can hookup a larger drive to the unit there are 2 things to note. 1) you cannot save anything to it from the 360. That means that you can't use it to save games or any data from the 360 to that drive. 2) the external drive must be formated in FAT32. It will not accept drives formated to NTFS (although I haven't tried a FAT16 drive yet). Since this is the case you will have to use a format utility other than XP/2000 to format large drives since those OS will limit the format to 32GB. Just so you know, right now I have a 500GB drive attached to the system using an external USB kit. Very cool.

As for the controller: It should be noted that only the wired 360 controller will work since it's a USB controller (wireless one won't), and under XP only. You can check more HERE (as well as get the drivers if XP doesn't do it automatically). It should be noted that Microsoft sells this wired controller in 2 varities: PC version, and Xbox 360 version. There is no difference between them except that they are selling the PC version for $10 more. Same box, same controller, just that it says PC on it. Also, USB keyboards work, although not all the functions will such as the number pad.

So far I'm happy with my system. No issues with overheatin, slowdowns, or what not.. yet. If you do pick one up make sure to get the premium bundle. You may think that you will never use, nor need the extra stuff in the box (like the remote), but the fact that you get $250 worth of stuff for $100 more makes it worth the money.

Once you get it you will find there is a lot you can do media wise. Hookup a large drive, and you can basically stream any audio off of it (again, as long as the drive is formated to Fat32). Download the software off of Microsofts website called "Xbox 360 Media Download Center", and you can link the 360 to XP or Media Center PCs for streaming music off of your networked computers. For some reason though you cannot stream movies, but only play the ones locally stored on the 360. Kinda odd.

Edit: BTW, I haven't even talked about the games yet. ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  16. Tipstaff

Continued from last posting... heheh

I guess the real question should be: is it worth buying right now? The answer to that is, no. Game wise, there are a handful of games that are worth owning on the system: Condemned (F.E.A.R engine, but better game), Kameo, PDZ for multiplayer at least, and PGR3 (sweet racer). Games that are on both the PC and the 360 are about the same, but heed my advice, and stay away from Quake 4. It is poorly ported, and plays like shit on the 360 (and GUN is just crap). A lot of the games are rehashes of the same game on other consoles, and the only ones worth playing are Tony Hawk, and Madden (the only real 360 enhanced sports game). Plus, with the exception of DOA4, this is it until next year. So if you aren't happy with the games right now, wait, cuz you won't probably touch your system until next year anyways.

Jan. will see 8 more games (maybe less) with Top Spin 2, Scarface, and Test Drive topping the list, a few in Feb. like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, and Full Auto, and March being the big month with Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Burnout Revenge (enhanced for the 360), Saint's Row, Tomb Raider, The Godfather, possibly Prey, The Outfit, Battlefield 2, and possible also Splinter Cell 4.

17. Dyre Straits

I was just talking to my son a little bit ago. He, too, complained about the way Quake 4 plays. Says it's very jerky. You can almost time it: 1, 2, 3, pause; 1, 2, 3, pause...ad infinitum. I'll have to let him know it's not his XBox 360.

18. Judas

What i'm interested in.... do the xbox360 games work on the PC? (i had at one point red possible computer capability)

19. Danhill

Danhill New Member

I got one and its awesome. Graphics is next gen accorind to me, I got PGR3, COD2 and NFSMW, I do have NFSMW and COD2 on my PC and can honestly say that it looks better on the 360 and plays smoother.

I havent the greates PC system at the moment, but if you should have 7800GTX 512Mb in SLI or ATI X1800XT in CS then it might look and play better on the PC, but not everyone can afford such high end cards.

I have a few pictures HERE if anyone wants a look.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  20. Tipstaff

I want your TV. PM me for delivery instructions. Thanks in advanced. [​IMG][​IMG]

And Judas, you wish.

However, every 360 game disc includes a very brief DVD video that says, "To play this disc, put it into an Xbox 360 console." in 9 different languages. Now, there may be some companies that have added bonus materials, but of the games I've tried none have any.