Calling all Xbox 360 owners! - worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Sandok

Sandok New Member

The hardware is amazing. Period. The thing is it's 3 cpres, lots of ram (for a console) and an amazing 48 pipeline card so developpers are REALLY going to enjoy themselves with the console! For the moment, none of the lanuch titles (according to the developers) even uses 50% of the 360s real power. The graphical qualites are quite similar to high end PC but if you read my NFSMW review, I said the 360 was the prettiest version (in between PS2, Xbox, GC, PC and 360) and no, it wasn't a typo. THe Xbox360 veersion just has more relfections and polygons than the PC version and this, the graphics are better on HDTV (perfect resolututions and all).

Don't forget that the console has been intergrated prefectly with a manamgement system thingy and Xbox Live is flawless. The only grife I have about it is the crashing MANY are having (2/4 of my friends... that's 50 % !!!!) and the small HD space. Apart from that, MS really has made the killer beast of the year! Now to see what Sony will say :p

PS: Keltic, It might just be because I woke up from a nap but I don't understand ur posts at all...... :oops:

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

This really interests me and ive been researching it for a few days on the net. it appears people are having crashes when the PSU is overheating.

Sandok is it possible for you to find out their room conditions etc? if you have 4 mates who own a 360 and half of them are experiencing issues you might be able to work out something that is causing it.

I havent had a single issue and I think I mentioned to Danhill mine was barely lukewarm after a 4 or 5 hour gaming session, but I have my console on an oak table with nothing near it and the PSU is on a lower table under the main table and it is barely even lukewarm either.

I really am fascinated by what ive read, that being people are suspending the PSU in the air to let all four sides cool. I suspect if it is the PSU causing the overheating that they should try positioning the PSU off the ground on its smaller edge (imagine looking at the PSU normally, then tilt it 90% so the smaller edge is resting on the surface).

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well I'll have to look at their rooms more carefully but I know one of the two who doesn't get any crashes is a pig. I can't believe how he takes care of his console. It's shoved in this dark area in between DVD and VCR player and the PSU is in a tangle of wires behind. And he's fine :p I told him he should maybe think of airing the area a bit more but he won't listen.... :(

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

LOL! a pig with a 360 and no crashes.

5. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ironic ain't it? I hate people like him... The same thing happened with my PS2. The same guy got the first PS2s to come out here (and so did I :D for Xmas) and he was again a PIG! Dust everywhere, wires however, PS2, no breathing space and all. And his went for years without problems.

Mine, dusted reggulary, blown out with pressurized air, always turned off when not playing (unlike the other guy) and mine died after just 4 years (the whole CD driving capablilities out the window....)

:( Life ain't fair.

6. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

its ok,jumping from one area of x360 to another confuse anyone,

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

:lol: What's okay? I don't get ur post :p

8. kelticknight

1/not worth money to me
    2/has problems
    3/at high end pc specs running on 21 or 24 lcd at 1600 x 1200 runs better from what l saw from friends x360 running
    4/game expensive at 70 euros for it now,maybe in 6-12 months better value

9. kelticknight

:sleep: :D :D :D In Other Not Worth It

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Ah well I disagree (PS: I love PCs)

1: The comparable PC is 10 times more expensive
    2: Yes SOME have problems :p (but so do PCs)
    3: I'm sorry but a PC game at 1600x1200 is nice but HDTV on a 37" PC (full anti alaising 1080p is a billion times sexier) and I disagree again. NFSMW runs much better on the 360 (and my PC is no wealking since I got a X850XT PE in it...)
    4: here the games are the same as PC more or less so ya....

But yup, it'snot worth the exuberent prices demanded on Ebay for example :p

11. HardwareHeaven

didnt you read 1: the technical details i posted and 2: the fact im sure you didnt see it on a large screen HDTV ? I feel im in a good position to comment on both as I own about 4 high end pcs and an X360 ! at least even acknowledge the points im making rather than just saying the same thing!

No one seems to be listening or reading just regurgitating what they said 2 pages ago !

I mean we could all compare this stuff for ever and there are so many variables its pointless.
    High end PC - around 3 or 4 times the price of an Xbox360. if you are on a limited budget and want to game, X360 all the way IMO unless you are a warez monkey and download every game for nothing (tsk tsk).

what about the hardware? have we any tri core chips anywhere yet? you can get that along with a 48 pixel pipe ATI card for under £300. good value, end of story.

Guys it really is best if we are debating to at least comment on posts other people make.

So my question is to kelticknight.

have you seen Need for speed most wanted running at on a 40 inch HDTV screen at 1080 on the Xbox 360? if so do you not think it is running as well as the highest end pcs out there? and at what cost, yes for sure the game costs more on the X360 but what about the cost of the hardware to get there???? What about the fact Xbox developers have stated they know that less than 50% of the xbox 360 hardware has been utilised in any game right now.... we arent even touching its potential yet.

12. kelticknight

YES A PC IS MORE EXPENSIVE,but is use for more than gaming ,l use for work ,lm involved in security i.t and also use for auto cad,for these need a good as l can get ,and to relax play games,so l disagree,but to be fair everyone has didfferent needs in use

2/for what it does,overheating psu,don't think so

3/l will disagree here , l saw with my friens and he has both top end pc with x1800xt on fx57 and x360 and he got rid of the x360 has he wasn't impressed because of overall package

4/ pc games 30-50 euros
    x360=70 euros
    no way,70 for a game

13. Sandok

Sandok New Member

This is pointless... Dude, we're talking about gaming nothing else. Of course a CONSOLE isn't a PC.

PCs can overheat (I can voutch for that) and zardon runs a 4GHZ 64 with a 7800GTX = more or less to a X1800XT and he prefers and Xbox and he knows more about this junk than me :p

But oh well, you don't seem to be reading the other posts so I give up :p

14. HardwareHeaven

Kelticknight I give up, no offense but your posting in this thread 1: makes no sense 2: is technically inaccurate and 3: I dont think you have SEEN the x360 running on the right equipment. regardless to say your point about the X360 not being able to be used as a normal PC is pretty much a no brainer. why the hell would you buy a X360 for CAD or even include that in a post? it ISNT a pc. - what about someone who has a cheap ass pc for that stuff but cant afford £1.5k for a new system to game on??? ........ as for a X1800XT compared to the GFX that is in the x360, well ive already gave you rough statistics on power (48pp v 16pp alone is a good start though), seems going more indepth would be a waste of time

lets have some other people talking now - this is going backwards. :rolleyes:

15. kelticknight

yes,have read yours and many on x360 and looked at forums,its a great piece of hardware,but l don't consider it worth it overall,no l haven't seen on the spec on 40 inche,
    when l was considering getting it,looked at reviews,forums in hardware and gaming and cost of games,for now for me ,its a simple no
    l agree it great spec's,gaming godcwith 40 '',so would topend pc

16. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

wait till the games developers get to grips with the 360 even though they have had the development 360 way before the release dates,When optimizations/tweaks etc can start to really show what a console can do and how far it can be pushed.

Give it a good few months then hopefully more graphical games will start to come through...consoles do require a fair bit of time before they either work or fail.

17. HardwareHeaven

well lets not go that far, I think for racing games, platformers, fighting games and titles which will work better on a console the Xbox 360 finally brings to the table, hardware that will make users like me say "finally I dont have to compromise to 640x480 with massive jaggies edges once I fire up my console". But a PC wont be touched for versatility. Then again to me this is a STUPID comparison.

It really just irks me however that people make comments which are inaccurate or based on some bias feeling towards some platform or another. Personally ive been blown away by the 360 to this point and I know for a fact it hasnt even been pushed yet anywhere near its max (ive heard less than 50 of its power is used in gotham but they are still working on maximising the 3 cores/6 threads as well as optimising graphics routines).

Each have their place, but lets not dismiss the X360 because it looks crap on a 20 inch CRT in some dudes bedroom while he games on his uber FX57 and X1800XT on a 24 inch Dell TFT next to it, to get the most from this console you NEED a good HDTV screen).

ok im done, and now totally bored running in circles .....

18. kelticknight

not wasting much more time on this,
    if you read what l said.[ l use my pcs for security i.t and autocad anda as well as gaming]if only for surfing and gaming,then would consider x360,but for me,no l l use pc's for more than gaming and cost of games
    l also said wouldn't get one now because of the cost of both x360 and games for it,maybe in 6-12 months ,but porbly not
    saw it a friends and he sold it,granted he didn't have 40'' to play on
    as far as waste of time explaning,sorry you feel that way,l did understand what your getting at ,but for me for now its simply not worth it between the price of games for it and what lm reading on net about simple probs
    if was getting it ,would wait as l said till more in circleation and maybe less pricy games

19. HardwareHeaven

But this has been my point ALL through the debate with you, you cant just class this as a standard console the way we all have done before and fire it into a crap screen via scart... and you most certainly on the other hand CANT class it as a PC replacement, its not made for that - it has been built from the ground up for gaming, and the whole system is geared for this (and very well designed from a hardware viewpoint too). I wouldnt get the X 360 if I couldnt afford a HDTV, its as simple as that, ive spent too many years gaming on PCs and high end cards to go back to horrible unaliased edges and 640x480 screens - however if you have a screen like a DELL 2405, and you buy the premium 360 bundle you can plug in the HDTV component lead and it looks just like 1280 or 1600 PC gaming (with slighty more vibrant colours IMO). This is the prime reason why to me this console is groundbreaking. Not only does it have the capability to deliver a top quality signal but it has the hardware equivalent to the highest end pc systems costing several thousand built into it. This isnt even taking into consideration things like XBOX live, wireless NET capability and software preinstalled for media center and backwards compatilibity.

The Xbox 360 is IMO groundbreaking with the highest quality video output ive seen, not only that but it costs less than an FX57 or a top of the line graphics card. Its a no brainer, every gamer with the income to support buying the top titles needs to get one.

Thats my view.

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Exactly my point of view. I have absolutely nothing else to add. Zardon expressed all the important points.