Calling via Internet has suddenly arrived

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Dom, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

Mark Jaffe of St. Louis recently threw caution to the wind and ditched his trusty SBC Communications local phone service in favor of an offering from an Internet phone start-up called Vonage.

Now his calls travel over the Internet via his cable broadband line. His typical $120 monthly bill has been cut to a flat $39.99 rate for unlimited local and long-distance calls and features such as caller ID. Because his physical location is irrelevant for Internet phone service, he was able to choose a number with a San Francisco area code (415), allowing a close friend in that city to dodge long-distance charges. Plus, via a PC he can hear his voice mail by clicking on e-mail, and he can update his call-forwarding, track his calls and bills and even change his phone number, all on the Web.

''There was initial concern,'' says Jaffe, 36, noting the dubious quality and reliability of Net calling in the late 1990s. But, ''Quality is phenomenal, and it's very cost-effective.''

Making phone calls on the Internet has suddenly arrived -- and it's poised to rock the telecommunications industry.

Until about 18 months ago, Internet calls meant tinny, ham-radio like connections over PC microphones and speakers. It was largely the province of hobbyists who gladly put up with the jittery voice quality for the chance to beat the system, make free calls and cultivate a pioneer spirit.

Read More...

2. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

Hey Dom, I've been using Vonage for 2 months nowand I can say it is fantastic !!!

My plan is 40.00 per month which includes both local and long distance (unlimited) to US and Canada, and very inexpensive rates to countries abroad. Also you only pay Federal taxes, not State and local taxes...
    It was costing me 40.00 just for local service here in Florida with all of the additional taxes...

The sysetm includes use of the Cisco communications port, caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, three way calling, voice mail (They even email me my voice mails via .wav attachment) and many other features...

You can go online and check your calls as they chart your calls for you (quite useful for families with teenagers)

You can also get "virtual" phone numbers... these are extra numbers (4.95 ea per month) with whatever area code you want... for example I live in Florida and have a 407 local area code... My family lives in PA, so I also have a 215 "virtual" number that rings to the same phone, and allows my family to call me via a local call...

Thus far the system has been flawless...

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

thers been compies like that for the last 2 years .. just not in all areas pc 2 phone has ben going on even longer as well as , deveces that would let you make calls over the internet for a nomial free

dont forget phone over cable, thats new

4. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

Vonage is phone over cable... thats the point of the article...