Can DC help in this situation?..

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by emdeesee, Mar 2, 2011.

1. emdeesee

emdeesee New Member

Hello,

I am considering purchasing this utility if it can save my 'hiney in this case..

My Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe board failed on me the other day (using 2 Nvidia XFX GeForce 9600 GSOs; the board also uses the NForce 4 SLI chipset). It was my inattention that got me here but basically it started having a problem on boot.. nothing.. black screen indicating a graphics card failure. Over the next few days removing the bottom card seemed to cure it but the problem came back intermittently until it crashed altogether.

My friend and I have done all manner and forms of testing: switching out known working cards (8800 GTXs), changing monitors, resetting all bios settings, checking cords and SLI bridge, etc. and have come to the conclusion something in the old mobo has lost the graphics functionality.

I played around with it and WAS able to get into Windows (XP) a few times before it became inaccessible. Thinking there would always be a "last time" and knowing I had a new mobo on the way (ECS NF650iSLIT-A ; Nvidia 650i chipset.. a much cheaper/older board than my old one but a newer chipset.. times are rough financially) I never got around to removing all drivers from device manager before turning it off (permanently) the last time (I've tried to power up about 200 times.. it's dead.

So I can't use DC as it's usually intended. Because I can't get the OS back up until the mobos are switched out (not even in safe mode.. remember.. no post.. no boot.. no bios or safe mode right now) we are going to have to cross our fingers and hope the 1st boot on the new mobo will load new drivers (also upgrading CPU from Pentium D935 to Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600) and boot without drastic conflicts.

Can I use Driver Cleaner to get into safe mode on 1st boot (or after the first OS start up) and safely clean out the old defunct drivers? Possibly some (especially the nForce and Forceware) will remain the same anyway.

I know the ideal way would be a clean install, but I REALLY have my OS set up with all the apps, utilities and games just so after a 2 year old install (I keep it "clean" [defrags, regscans, clean out junk, etc]) so it still runs tops as well; not to mention a bunch of very important documents in "My Documents" I forgot to back up just before this happened.

Thanks to all for your time & attention.

BTW.. I know I could go in myself and remove "said" other drivers manually if I can get the OS up, but honestly.. I wouldn't know what's needed and what's not. I was hoping DC had the ability to somehow identify and point out unused/different driver on it's own. Would be worth buying just for that. Basically.. my Device Manager is going to be a real mess after this.. if it even works. :sigh:

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

you can use Driver Cleaner in safe mode, so best would be when the system starts goto safe mode and see if you can remove the graphics drivers and the mobo drivers. Then reboot again to safe mode and use Driver Cleaner. After using Driver Cleaner then reboot to windows and install the new drivers, that should work.