Can I play a DVD in windows media player 9 on win2000?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by kbleft, Apr 14, 2004.

1. kbleft

kbleft New Member

I'm trying to play my DVDs on a windows 2000 computer using windows media player 9, but I can't quite get it to work. I have cyberlink's DVD decoding codec and an AC3 audio codec (from the K-Lite Codec pack), and I have applied the registry tweak here: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/717/ Nevertheless, WMP9 won't open a DVD when I choose "open" and click on the DVD drive. It opens the disc and sees the directories, but it won't recognize any .vob files as movie files.

What am I missing, here? Is there a specific codec I should be looking for, or do I need to do more registry editing? Also, do I need to install WDM drivers for my Radeon vid card?

If somebody has accomplished this and can walk me through it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  2. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

just tried it here, won't work for me either. As for the WDM drivers, they won't affect this issue, but depending if you have an all-in-wonder card,they should be installed (you didn't say what card you have)

3. kbleft

kbleft New Member

Thanks for the effort. I've figured out that the tweak/fix posted above works for media player 6/7, not media player 9. I still don't understand why Microsoft removed the functionality from the media 9 software, but I know you can get it back, in WindowsXP only, by purchasing a "DVD Pack". I don't have WinXP, so I can't get a DVD Pack to install on my machine. If I could, I would monitor the install process and figure out what gets changed.

4. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

ahh, that explains it

5. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

i have DVD functionality on Windows Media Player 9 and i didn't buy or download any microsoft anything....turning on the DVD functionality is a part of many tweakign suites...i think i did it in either XTeq or Customizer XP....either way...that proves it's nothign mroe then an ini file or reg key.....i'll look into it and see what I can find

6. kbleft

kbleft New Member

Thanks, prodigal! I would love to know what you are able to find. By the way, are you using win2k or winXP?

7. Gh0st3d

Gh0st3d New Member

Unfortunately there is no way to add DVD support to windows 2000 Media Player you could use zoom player if you are looking for and alternative to PowerDVD you could use Zoom Player.

8. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

Actually WMP9 will play DVD's but you have to have the DVD engine installed, which means installing something like Power DVD anyway, so just use Power DVD instead.